GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I started to notice a few weeks ago that my heater is making a strange noise. (YouTube link provided showing video of the sound).

At first, I thought it was static coming from the car radio, but ruled that out when I turned the radio off.

• The sound only happens on the combined defrost (dashboard heater) and floor heater.
  • It does not make the sound on any other setting.
  • Seems to be worse on colder days.
  • Stops after the car has been running for a while but comes back when stopped at a light but then will go away once I start driving again.
  • Seems to occur at lower speeds 50/60 kmph. Seems to go away when doing 80+ kmph.
  • I have checked the cabin air filter and it does not seem to be causing the problem.
  • I am the only one who really uses the vehicle and I have no children so I do not believe it is a piece of trash or anything that has been dropped down a vent.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not for sure, but it almost sounds like a kid that has used clothes pins in a way to attach playing cards to hit the spokes of his bicycle. Makes me think that something is awry with the fan, a blade in the squirrel cage hitting something or maybe a cracked or broken blade?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Do a search on heater actuator. 99% sure that is your problem.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My 2011 doesn't do that. Is it coming through the speakers? Maybe an electrical interference noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You sound is not like my sound, but mine also came from the front HVAC system. Check out this thread since a previous Reply by @RIT333 mentioned the HVAC actuator:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts