GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I bought the 2011 nox with 4cyl and now that I look into towing I see that it's limited to 1,500 lbs.

So other than a bike rack or an extremely small trailer, what is the use of having a hitch put on ?

Really, I am trying to justify getting a hitch.

BTW if I do get one I am a little leery of going to U-Haul even though it is cheaper.

PolarBear

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I prefer bike racks with the 2 inch end-- for the 2 inch hitch opening.
I know those are available for the NOx. Ive seen them on etrailer.com
what this also does is open you up to more hitch accesories.. like a cargo rack....
(just dont tow)..
here are the many uses of my cargo rack on my Traverse-- in other words-- to carry stuff you dont want inside.

as the ice melts- I open the valve and water drains out. (no mess inside).

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
why pay to have it done-
order it from etrailer- and install it yourself.

heres a how to video. looks pretty straightforward... you will need a torque wrench--- but if you plan on rotating your own tires- you should have one of these already anyways.. (so that you dont warp rotors).

http://youtu.be/nc2FDAvGTzo

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
by the way... I dont plan to tow with my traverse. But I ordered it with the tow package because I had my Trailblazer with a hitch- and used the bike rack and cargo rack all the time (lots of gardening etc) and use it quite often (I also added LED turn signals)

·
Registered
338 Posts
rbarrios, you are the master of bungee cords! :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbarrios Thanks so much for your pics and the video.
Certainly makes it look easy and I am mechanically inclined enough for that job although the dropping of the exhaust system scares me slightly.

·
Registered
949 Posts
lol, yea you do a lot of gardening apparently! And what I can see in the background looks great! The extent of my yard this year is barely green grass, thank you Texas drought.

I figured at most you could pull a small trailer with a jet ski or something. Better than nothing, but you're night, not worth a whole lot.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sumr616 said:
lol, yea you do a lot of gardening apparently! And what I can see in the background looks great! The extent of my yard this year is barely green grass, thank you Texas drought.

I figured at most you could pull a small trailer with a jet ski or something. Better than nothing, but you're night, not worth a whole lot.
comes in real handy when you have to pick something up at Lowe's that doesn't fit in vehicle,nice 4x8 trailer moving lawn tractor from one place to another...
plan on hauling a 5th wheel your going to need a pickup....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The installing of the hitch looked doable however the wiring is another thing.

So just in case I did want someone else to do the installation, is a place like U-Haul just as good as the dealer ?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
PolarBear said:
The installing of the hitch looked doable however the wiring is another thing.

So just in case I did want someone else to do the installation, is a place like U-Haul just as good as the dealer ?
If you aren't going to actually tow anything (like a single jetski etc..) then there is no real reason to have the dealership do it. I plan on putting a hitch on mine at some point and doing it myself..but only for the above mentioned reasons. (bike rack/cargo rack)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a motorcycle and can see renting a small trailer for moving things.

Adding up all the costs at this point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
PolarBear said:
rbarrios Thanks so much for your pics and the video.
Certainly makes it look easy and I am mechanically inclined enough for that job although the dropping of the exhaust system scares me slightly.
I didn't drop the exhaust on mine(I don't have a dual exhaust like the video). I have a Uhaul branded one that I picked up from my local Uhaul location. It looks EXACTLY like the Curt 13591 if that means anything. I had the Curt but couldn't get the side bolt hole to line up. The Uhaul branded(though I swear it's Curt with a different sticker) fit much easier....not quite as smooth and easy as they make the video look, but not bad. They fit more snug on the sides when you're pushing it up. Having a small rubber mallet is handy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, and it's not much more expensive to have Uhaul install it....I didn't do wiring yet, cause I don't really need that part yet. May have Uhaul do that part, will have to take a look at how easy or complicated it looks.

Yeah, you can't tow much. I think its worth having for the small cost. small trailer or something like the pics above is just a nice option to have.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
PolarBear said:
I do have a motorcycle and can see renting a small trailer for moving things.

Adding up all the costs at this point.
I think for actual towing (motorcycle would be fine with the 4cyl) you need to have some transmission programming done by the dealer. I could be mistaken though..

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a dealer installed hitch on my Nox. I pull a 7 x 12 foot single axle landscape trailer around town to mowing job sites. Works very well. Dealer stated that there was no need for additional ECM programing. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two questions I have left (for now lol)

Receiver size, I hear there are 2" and something smaller.

Ball size, 1 7/8" and 2" ?

Can I get some input on these two, what are the benefits of each ?

I think I've narrowed my use down to a cargo rack and quite possibly a small trailer that I can move my motorcycle around with but not specifically a motorcycle trailer so that I can haul other small things.

BTW I checked etrailer.com and their total comes to $231 while the lowest U-Haul comes in at $312 (includes installation and taxes). Surprised that the U-Haul places vary in price.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
PolarBear said:
Two questions I have left (for now lol)

Receiver size, I hear there are 2" and something smaller.

Ball size, 1 7/8" and 2" ?

Can I get some input on these two, what are the benefits of each ?

I think I've narrowed my use down to a cargo rack and quite possibly a small trailer that I can move my motorcycle around with but not specifically a motorcycle trailer so that I can haul other small things.

BTW I checked etrailer.com and their total comes to $231 while the lowest U-Haul comes in at $312 (includes installation and taxes). Surprised that the U-Haul places vary in price.
receiver is 11/4 inch ball size is 1.78 one can buy an adapter from harbor freight that will change that to a 2 inch receiver (works with my old bike rack) $15.00

Nice 4x8 trailer at Lowe's carryall drive lawn tractor onto it carry 4x8 sheet of plywood....etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So really it doesn't matter which receiver or ball size I get, if I get something later that isn't right then I can just get an adapter or another ball.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
PolarBear said:
So really it doesn't matter which receiver or ball size I get, if I get something later that isn't right then I can just get an adapter or another ball.
That would be corrrect
the hitch on the vehicle is call a receiver a drawbar goes into that and the ball is attached to the drawbar, one can put any size ball on the drawbar(I have a ball called a convertaball) that can be switched out
Myself, I would only put a 1 1/4 receiver on the vehicle as it's the same size from the factory I still believe there could be some warranty concerns if there is a 2inch receiver on the vehicle with the I4 in it... Mine is factory installed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts