GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't need to change my oil yet, but I am wondering if someone can post a list of the tools/stuff I need to change my oil myself? Please be specific (like mention the names/brands of the oil and filter you used and where you bought them.

1. What do I need to get the oil filter off? (this is my biggest question - can't seem to find info on the net. The end of the oil filter is smooth, so I do not think I need the "socket-like" tool).
2. Any particular brand of oil more preferred?
3. Any particular brand of oil filter more preferred?

The thing I can't seem to find on the net is the answer to question #1. The other two are just if you would like to give me any good opinions or pointers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Re: What is needed to change oil in a 2012 V6 Equinox?

prissyrabbit said:
Don't need to change my oil yet, but I am wondering if someone can post a list of the tools/stuff I need to change my oil myself? Please be specific (like mention the names/brands of the oil and filter you used and where you bought them.

1. What do I need to get the oil filter off? (this is my biggest question - can't seem to find info on the net. The end of the oil filter is smooth, so I do not think I need the "socket-like" tool).
2. Any particular brand of oil more preferred?
3. Any particular brand of oil filter more preferred?

The thing I can't seem to find on the net is the answer to question #1. The other two are just if you would like to give me any good opinions or pointers.

Thanks!
#1 - You need an oil filter wrench. Buy a replacement filter, and then tell the salesperson that you need a filter wrench to fir that filter.

#2 - There will be a ton of answers to this. If you have a, '11 or '12, then you should get oil that is Dexos Certified.

#3 - Search "Bob the Oil Guy" on the Web, and you can get his opinion on #2, and #3. He has a lot of respect with many people on the Web.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIT333 said:
#1 - You need an oil filter wrench. Buy a replacement filter, and then tell the salesperson that you need a filter wrench to fir that filter.

#2 - There will be a ton of answers to this. If you have a, '11 or '12, then you should get oil that is Dexos Certified.

#3 - Search "Bob the Oil Guy" on the Web, and you can get his opinion on #2, and #3. He has a lot of respect with many people on the Web.
Hey,

Thanks for your answers! I will definitely search "Bob the Oil Guy". And yes, I know everyone has there own opinion about filter brand and which oil. I guess I should re-phrase my question and say I would like to hear specifically why people use what they use. I am just trying to make an informed decision for what I will need when it is time for an oil change.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Re: What is needed to change oil in a 2012 V6 Equinox?

I use a strap type filter wrench; there's not a lot of room in there.

I have a 8 qt drain pan and it gets REAL close to full when draining. The 8 qt claim is a stretch I guess.
the 'free' oil change that many dealers give a buyer was the Dexos blend oil.

I switched to synthetic when I started changing by own.

you can 'blend' your own if you wish. The Dexos spec. calls for a strong 'blend' in order to meet those specs.

Two or three quart of synthetic oil added to the conventional oil and you are about where GM 'official' oil is.

The I4 is harder on the oil then the V-6, but many claim that the Direct Injection engines are all harder on oil than older engine designs.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed the oil on my 2011 Equinox V6 for the first time yesterday. The filter that was in the car was AC PF48, 3.5" long. I used an oil filter socket and it came out without problems. The replacement I had was a Quaker State QS173, 3.75" long. That filter was too long, had to tighten the filter by hand as couldn't get the filter in with the wrench at the same time, not enough room.
The moral of the story is to get a replacement filter that is no longer than 3.5" or a shallow filter wrench. I will be looking for a shorter wrench for next time.
Pierre

·
Registered
715 Posts
Filters should be put on hand tight only anyway.

The cup type wrench is a nice idea IF there's room for it. BUT, I have found that different filters sometimes don't fit the same cup type wrench;
the flats are different sizes.
Hence, my favorite is the strap type.

the recommended AC filter is the PF 63, 4+" long.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Pikanjoe said:
I changed the oil on my 2011 Equinox V6 for the first time yesterday. The filter that was in the car was AC PF48, 3.5" long. I used an oil filter socket and it came out without problems. The replacement I had was a Quaker State QS173, 3.75" long. That filter was too long, had to tighten the filter by hand as couldn't get the filter in with the wrench at the same time, not enough room.
The moral of the story is to get a replacement filter that is no longer than 3.5" or a shallow filter wrench. I will be looking for a shorter wrench for next time.
Pierre
The factory engine oil filter is indeed a PF63 (its states right on it) its just physically shorter like the PF43.
I'm guessing GM did this for cost savings as for the first oil change it should be changed early - so the PF63 (extended oil life filter) would not be required. They stamp the factory filter as a PF63 so that the person servicing the vehicle would be informed on the use of the extended oil life filter. The factory AC Delco filter actually has a different color scheme than what is sent out for retail distribution.

3.75" filter is not to long - just need the right filter wrench for use.
You can use a PF48 - its just not recommended for extended intervals.[/color]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts