GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '16 LT with V6 doesn't have a red line on the tach :eek: I can't remember the last time I had a car that didn't show a red line. Wait, yes I can. My '67 Beetle because it didn't have a tach. After that I'm pretty sure every car that had a tach had a red line. And usually a yellow zone preceding the red zone. Even those with automatic transmission, which I always thought was pretty unnecessary. But my new 3.6 with DI and VVT and all the other modern engine bells and whistles doesn't have a red line on the tach. Do I need one? No. Just surprised that there isn't one nowadays since most cars had one for the last 40 years.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Ahh. . . . I see you haven't discovered the Warp Drive Mode when you go over 7,000 RPM. .. ;D

IT is a little known secret, but only accessed after the first 15,000 miles of engine break in.

An elite club enjoys this special feature. . . :cheers:

Actually, I think they don't worry about most us going even much near a red line. . . :D

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
My 2014 Equinox doesn't have a red line either, I probably would not use it if I had one.
The few times that I am close to 7,000 like passing or merging onto an interstate, I have other things to watch.
I trust the rev limiter.

I usually drive by ear, it's pretty quiet to 4,000.
About 5,000 you start to get a growl.
By 6,500 it's at a full snarl, time to let it shift.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
rednox301 said:
My 2014 Equinox doesn't have a red line either, I probably would not use it if I had one.
The few times that I am close to 7,000 like passing or merging onto an interstate, I have other things to watch.
I trust the rev limiter.

I usually drive by ear, it's pretty quiet to 4,000.
About 5,000 you start to get a growl.
By 6,500 it's at a full snarl, time to let it shift.
Yess. . . . it does get that racy growl. It's surprising even with the stock exhaust. Makes me imagine I'm driving a Maserati . . . . well, almost.

And hang onto that steering wheel when you lick it down into passing gear. Torque steer does set in near Warp Speed. . . .

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Trailblazer, Traverse, Equinox... none have it.

Pretty much- the engines have rev limiters--- so youll never get past it.... so I guess no need for red zone warning.

Reactions: OHHEY

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course I don't need a red line. I've just never seen a tach without one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Two possible reasons for no redline on the tach:

1) Red paint is expensive. This is why they charge extra for it these days. That redline would cost GM .002 cents per tach. Not painting it red saves GM approximately $500 / year. Every penny counts these days.

2). Similar line of thinking... Paint has weight to it. Sure it's only .01 oz but these days every oz counts.

* Yes I pulled all that out of my :bootyshake:

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
We. . . . ( I really ), bought a 1995 Impala SS "family sedan" we used mostly for travel and weekends. It had the previous OBD I engine electronics so a person could buy several products to eliminate the "red line" RPM and speed limiters. Hypertech made on and I bought it.
It didn't make much sense to put Z rated tires on the Impala SS when the speed limiter topped out at 110. The Hypertech also allowed changes in shift points and firming up clutch engagement which really was an improvement. It also allowed for speedo correction with different sized tires and many other features. That device, along with a complete catback exhaust system change was a great combination. Along with some minor suspension improvements the car was as good or better than a 9C1 police version. Actually, it did shift more quickly and firmly than a 9C1 that a friend of mine had. And. . . . it could easily cruise at +130 and still be under top end. In a forum back in that day, there were two military guys that had the Impala SS in Germany with them. Yes. . . they did the Autobahn and would routinely blow by bimmers at +140 MPH. They did say the cars tended to get a bit "floaty" at that speed.

But I digress. No red line for the Equinox is ok with me. Very respectable performance to this size of vehicle. Watch out you RAV4's and C-RV's. . . .. and any other mid sized CUV for that matter. . . . 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
But the red line would make it look cool... It's like the speedometer going to 140 mph: I will never do 140 mph, but is looks cool & makes me think, just maybe...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm with JayTee on hanging on to the steering wheel when passing or "just having fun!" The torque steer reaction on a two gear drop has a "pucker factor" on the 3.6 that I wasn't ready for the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Obviously GM figures that you're either a timid driver that has no idea of what we're talking OR like the rest of us, you can hear or "feel" the engine approaching an uncomfortable rev. Remember, engines are tighter now. Smart money says use synthetic oil. Now you're covered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts