GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our lease was up on our 2018 Equinox 2LT AWD 2.0T this month and we looked at and decided to buy a 2020 Terrain. I liked how the 'Nox drove, but it wasn't very comfy on a longer drive. What I hated most was the HVAC controls...small 9 button cluster, down too low on the dash, easy to fat finger a selection, and was hard to see the lights for the fan speed especially during the day. The Terrain since 2018 much more user friendly, ergonomically superior. The whole vehicle is smoother, quieter, big improvement over the Nox.

-Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Our lease was up on our 2018 Equinox 2LT AWD 2.0T this month and we looked at and decided to buy a 2020 Terrain. I liked how the 'Nox drove, but it wasn't very comfy on a longer drive. What I hated most was the HVAC controls...small 9 button cluster, down too low on the dash, easy to fat finger a selection, and was hard to see the lights for the fan speed especially during the day. The Terrain since 2018 much more user friendly, ergonomically superior. The whole vehicle is smoother, quieter, big improvement over the Nox.

-Dan
Interesting

·
Registered
955 Posts
M7C7vette--I keyed on your comment regarding "...not being comfy on a longer drive." We had a '18 Premier and similarly, I found it uncomfortable on longer drives. Usually about three hours was my limit before starting to feel back tension and stress. Our new Traverse seats are somehow different; I can go 10 plus hours without a hint of the discomfort I previously experienced.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
4 Posts
I love my Equinox Diesel overall. If I have to talk about what I don't like, one would have to be the optional Bose system. While the bass can be quite deep enough to make the car glass vibrate, the spatial quality is limited to just the front row. There are no speakers in the back of the vehicle. You don't get that 'concert hall' feeling. My Chrysler minivan sounds much better as there are speakers from the front to the end and in between. As I spend time in the car driving to different places for work, I enjoy a good sound system to ease the travel boredom.

Another issue is the auto settings for seat. I can never get it to work properly. I have noticed that if I'm sitting in the car, turn it off and then hit the button to start the accessories, the seat and mirrors will readjust as if it is
resetting its position. No matter what I do, even resetting the #1 and #2 drive settings, its like the car has a mind of its own..think *Christine.* Ok, I'm exaggerating, the car is not quite alive.

My cooling system in the driver's seat doesn't seem to cool during warm to almost hot temperatures. I had it looked at the dealer three times during its bumper to bumper warranty and the conclusion was that

the system is not powerful enough to effectively cool the seat. The General Service Mgr kept reminding me that it is not an air conditioned seat. I know that but I could definitely detect a sense of 'coolness' from
when I took delivery of the car and its (the cooling seat) performance over a period of time. Does anyone have an idea as how these things work? It feels like there are some kind of fluid in tubes because when you activate
the cooling seat feature, there is a sound like water rushing through these tubes and a whooshing sound/feeling of air..probably cooled air. Being that the car now is almost 2 years and 50K old, this will have to be something I have to live with for as long as I own the car.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
With this whole virus thing I'm waiting and doing nothing.
I’m with you ... but I also was waiting and doing nothing two years before the virus came along. LOL!

My problem is - I’m really not in love with any of the options:

1.) 2020 Equinox (Gen 3): The price is right, the size is perfect for me, the styling is acceptable, the fuel economy would be an improvement over my 2011 Gen 2 Nox, but I don’t trust the longevity of either of the engine options (Turbo 4’s). I drive all my vehicles 10 years or 222,222 miles (whichever comes last). Would these engines run at least that long? I don’t know.

2.) 2020 Acadia 3.6L: The price is borderline, the size is “OK”, the styling is "OK", the fuel economy might be slightly better than my 2011, and the engine is trustworthy. What’s stopping me (?) ... I think it’s the styling, but I’ve never been someone who cared about such things. Maybe it’s the combination of the price and the styling? Not sure, but it’s the best value of the bunch right now.

3.) 2020 Blazer 3.6L: The price is too high, the size is good, the styling is appealing, the fuel economy might be slightly better than my 2011 Nox V6, and the engine is trustworthy. What’s stopping me (?) ... the high price and the lack of data on the 9-speed transmission. GM’s not having such a great time with some of their transmissions right now

4.) 2020 Bolt EV: The price (for a well-equipped LT) is acceptable, the size is questionable, the styling is passable, the fuel economy is exceptional, the motor appears to be trustworthy. What’s stopping me (?) ... I haven’t driven a vehicle this small since my college days, and with so many “monster” vehicles roaming the roads nowadays, driving something this small carries increased injury risk - regardless of IIHS frontal crash test results. But I DO love the thought of not having to “scoreboard watch” gas prices any longer - if only for a work-commuter-only vehicle like the Bolt.

I think if the Gen3 Equinox had just come with the V6 engine, that's what I'd be driving right now ... but it didn't, so I'm in a holding pattern on which way I'll go next ... but it's on the smaller side, not the bigger side (which eliminates the Traverse).

·
Registered
955 Posts
I love my Equinox Diesel overall. If I have to talk about what I don't like, one would have to be the optional Bose system. While the bass can be quite deep enough to make the car glass vibrate, the spatial quality is limited to just the front row. There are no speakers in the back of the vehicle. You don't get that 'concert hall' feeling. My Chrysler minivan sounds much better as there are speakers from the front to the end and in between. As I spend time in the car driving to different places for work, I enjoy a good sound system to ease the travel boredom.
I agree with you completely. The rear speakers are placed in the front bottom corner of the rear doors and are immediately below the driver and front seat passenger's heads. Creates a significant loss of spatial sound; I often thought that the speakers should have been placed behind the rear seats--in the "trunk" area, if you will. Besides the spatial sense, I also found the placement of the rear speakers created a "wall of sound" that inhibits conversation between the front and rear seats.:sad:

Our new Traverse has the rear speakers behind the third row seats. All the above are eliminated with this configuration.:smile:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I’m with you ... but I also was waiting and doing nothing two years before the virus came along. LOL!

1.) 2020 Equinox (Gen 3): The price is right, the size is perfect for me, the styling is acceptable, the fuel economy would be an improvement over my 2011 Gen 2 Nox, but I don’t trust the longevity of either of the engine options (Turbo 4’s). I drive all my vehicles 10 years or 222,222 miles (whichever comes last). Would these engines run at least that long? I don’t know.

2.) 2020 Acadia 3.6L: The price is borderline, the size is “OK”, the styling is "OK", the fuel economy might be slightly better than my 2011, and the engine is trustworthy. What’s stopping me (?) ... I think it’s the styling, but I’ve never been someone who cared about such things. Maybe it’s the combination of the price and the styling? Not sure, but it’s the best value of the bunch right now.

3.) 2020 Blazer 3.6L: The price is too high, the size is good, the styling is appealing, the fuel economy might be slightly better than my 2011 Nox V6, and the engine is trustworthy. What’s stopping me (?) ... the high price and the lack of data on the 9-speed transmission. GM’s not having such a great time with some of their transmissions right now

4.) 2020 Bolt EV: The price (for a well-equipped LT) is acceptable, the size is questionable, the styling is passable, the fuel economy is exceptional, the motor appears to be trustworthy. What’s stopping me (?) ... I haven’t driven a vehicle this small since my college days, and with so many “monster” vehicles roaming the roads nowadays, driving something this small carries increased injury risk - regardless of IIHS frontal crash test results. But I DO love the thought of not having to “scoreboard watch” gas prices any longer - if only for a work-commuter-only vehicle like the Bolt.

I think if the Gen3 Equinox had just come with the V6 engine, that's what I'd be driving right now ... but it didn't, so I'm in a holding pattern on which way I'll go next ... but it's on the smaller side, not the bigger side (which eliminates the Traverse).
I was looking at used and have read about all the issues. I was ready to buy a 2012 2.4 that has had the piston rings and cylinders done already but was still afraid the PCV issue would get me. Guess there is no real fix for that?

Oh well.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Colt, what about other mfgs? Mazdas look very nice, or pick up a low mileage '17 nox/terrain. I agree that a v6 in the 18-21s would have been nice, but I don't need it since my goal isn't 222222 any more. 60-70k is enough for me, and I think the turbo can do that. Have you checked the 'bu forum to see how the 1.5l is holding up for longevity on those. I don't think turbos have the stigma that they had previously. Heck, gm give a 5/50 on it, so they should be good for 52k. LOL

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Colt, what about other mfgs?
I’d be leaving $4300 worth of GM Dollars on the table ... which was recently bumped to $5300 for a month or so! But we all know how *that* goes: they bump the rebates, and the dealers lower their discounts. I saw it on the Bolt pricing. I could’ve worked harder at it and found a deal somewhere, I’m sure ... but no energy for it, and now this virus lockdown. Oh well - it’s not like I *need* a new vehicle right now.

If Waiting, Delaying, or Holding Out ever become an Olympic Event, I’m gonna get my picture put on a Wheaties box of cereal! LOL!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts

I used to be like you in the fact that I liked to keep a vehicle for an extended time.

Fast forward to today; I keep one vehicle that I designate as my "good" car; I keep this one indefinitely. I seldom drive it except for longer trips or special occasions.

The others are considered daily drivers. Those are current models that are normally still covered by warranty and get more accumulated miles. I may well keep them after the warranty expires, but if some potential issues start to manifest, it's time to upgrade to another new model.

This is definitely not cost effective, but I don't enjoy wrenching on them anymore and appreciate the latest technology, economy and reliability.

As the newer vehicles become more complex, along comes the potential for more problems; especially higher trim level models and smaller displacement, direct injected, boosted induction engines.

Unfortunately you may want to reconsider your goal to keep a late model vehicle as long as you're accustomed to, unless you're prepared for some reliability issues.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Another issue is the auto settings for seat. I can never get it to work properly. I have noticed that if I'm sitting in the car, turn it off and then hit the button to start the accessories, the seat and mirrors will readjust as if it is
resetting its position. No matter what I do, even resetting the #1 and #2 drive settings, its like the car has a mind of its own..think *Christine.* Ok, I'm exaggerating, the car is not quite alive.

When new I had trouble with my mirrors always resetting.
Seems like I had to turn off the auto exit or easy exit option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If Waiting, Delaying, or Holding Out ever become an Olympic Event, I’m gonna get my picture put on a Wheaties box of cereal! LOL!!!
LOL. Thank you for the laugh! I needed that with the crap going around these days.
Unless something bad happens, I'm all set with my rides for at least a decade. I'm thinking by then there will be some decent EVs to consider as replacements. I briefly looked at Bolts when our first Sonic got written off but they are too expensive compared to the Sonic and it was not clear the cost difference would pay for itself over the ownership period. That could all change in 10 years though.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
LOL. Thank you for the laugh! I needed that with the crap going around these days.
Unless something bad happens, I'm all set with my rides for at least a decade. I'm thinking by then there will be some decent EVs to consider as replacements. I briefly looked at Bolts when our first Sonic got written off but they are too expensive compared to the Sonic and it was not clear the cost difference would pay for itself over the ownership period. That could all change in 10 years though.

We have similar outlooks and I remember you too have a Sonic.

We had the Sonic now for about 2.5 years and the first 1.5 is was our sporty little run about for days trips, errands, and the like.
Now since we sold our 2015 Equinox LTZ and replaced it with the 2019 Acadia SLT, wife uses the Sonic for her daily driver. The Sonic also is fairly "old school" in mechanicals and repairs are pretty easy for anyone who is a little handy.

She says she actually likes the Sonic better than the Equinox since it still is easy to get in and out of, is easy to park and is more roomy than many people realize. Pretty much the same interior dimensions as Chevy Trax and Buick Encore. . .. in fact, and inch or so more in some aspects.
We hope to keep both the Sonic and Acadia for many years now. And, we too thought it was a great car for the money.

The Acadia is getting better MPG than the 3.6L Equinox we had and both had a 3.6L V6. Then newer LGX 3.5L is amazing and much improved over the old LFX V6.
Hoping both last us a good long trouble free time.
Right now. . . we have my Colorado truck also. All three sit in the garage with full tanks of gas. Hoping this virus crisis may be resolved at least by years end. . . . but they fear it could surge again even more next Fall.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts