GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bigdog9586 said:
The rear view camera through the mirror is a complete joke.
Rear view cameras of any form in any vehicle are a joke.

Time to lose the gadgets and learn how to drive again. Think about this. You rely on the camera for years then it fails. How good do you think you'll be without it since your now programmed to use it?

And sorry to say but that goes for Nav systems too. I know or find out where I'm going before I start going somewhere and keep my attention focused on driving rather than a little screen. Which BTW from my experience can be wrong many times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have a point. Some people do heavily rely on nav and back up cameras. I love all of my gadgets but I can also revert back to the old school way of doing things if need be. You would be surprised at how many people can't read a road map and would be SOL if their nav went out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2010Nox said:

Time to lose the gadgets and learn how to drive again. Think about this. You rely on the camera for years then it fails. How good do you think you'll be without it since your now programmed to use it?

And sorry to say but that goes for Nav systems too. I know or find out where I'm going before I start going somewhere and keep my attention focused on driving rather than a little screen. Which BTW from my experience can be wrong many times.
I disagree on that. I started the post on the camera but wifes Fusion Hybrid has one going through Nav with the lines etc. that let you know just how close youare along with the sonar beats having to rely on just mirrors or turning your head. Having a choice I would not have gotten the camera on my Nox but when someone turns in front of ya totaling out your HHR and the dealer was able to get me what I wanted on dealer trade over the weekend you take it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bigdog9586 said:
I disagree on that. I started the post on the camera but wifes Fusion Hybrid has one going through Nav with the lines etc. that let you know just how close youare along with the sonar beats having to rely on just mirrors or turning your head.
Sure it helps but here's a situation that I've talked to people about lots.

Several people I know became comfortable with the camera & sensors and then believed it works for everything. Then they go and hook up to their boat or utility trailer and "crunch" they've got a nice hole in the plastic bumper. Why? Because you can't properly judge the distance that precise with a camera and the sensors don't properly read the hitch point.

Also both don't help you to back up your trailer, only mirrors work for that and the more you use them the better you get at it.

Bigdog9586 said:
Having a choice I would not have gotten the camera on my Nox but when someone turns in front of ya totaling out your HHR and the dealer was able to get me what I wanted on dealer trade over the weekend you take it.
Definitely! Your not going to walk away from a vehicle you like and want just because it has something extra in it. You might do that if it didn't have what you want but never if it may have more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2010Nox said:
Several people I know became comfortable with the camera & sensors and then believed it works for everything. Then they go and hook up to their boat or utility trailer and "crunch" they've got a nice hole in the plastic bumper. Why? Because you can't properly judge the distance that precise with a camera and the sensors don't properly read the hitch point.
Actually my father said it best: "Drive the vehicle you are in and not the one you are used to"

If you are a capable person, you can drive your automatic transmission vehicle after driving your standard transmission vehicle without fumbly for a non-existent clutch.

I love the camera feature; it is a great tool! But it doesnt somehow exclude the use of using your side view mirrors? Would you stop wearing a seat belt since you have airbags??? Hopefully not. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
2010Nox said:

Time to lose the gadgets
Sorry, but I completely disagree. Obviously you need to use the mirrors when backing up, but when you're trying to back up to the curb or parking lot line or whatever it is, the camera is invaluable. The ability to see directly behind the car is fantastic. Because you can see the bumper, you can back right up and know exactly how far away you are from that line. This is the first car I've ever driven with the feature, and after seeing it in action on the test drive was instantly hooked. No, it doesn't replace the mirrors or turning your head or being aware of what's around you, but it's a great backup aid.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I hate that Ive hit my head on the lift gate. I always forget that I need to duck to get under it. Just wished it went about 3" higher.

mnussbaum said:
If there's any complaint there, it's that you can't turn off the auto dimming feature.
Yes, you can. It resets every time you get back in the car but if you hold the far left button on the mirror (as you look at it) it will turn it off. You have to press it for about 5 seconds I think.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Do you have nav? I think you have to have that for the auto dimming to be disableable (is that a word?). My backup camera is in the mirror and it doesn't seem to disable even while holding the button.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The NAV and the Backup camera are a must on todays vehicles. I agree with the person that said it was an additional aid. It doesn't replace what you were doing in the pass. You will think yourself the day that object behind you happens to be a kid that you would not been able to see in the pass. (Thats the real reason for the backup camera). I like having the NAV but the one in the Nox has alot a room for improvement.

The passenger seat should not only be an option, it should be a standard on the top Terrain and Nox.

I also agree that the gas door release should be inside the car.

I can take or leave the pushbutton start, but it would a another nice attraction.

After saying the above I still love my Nox and hoping that chevy correct these issues later in the 2011 model year or by 2012.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Many of the suggestions in this topic are nice-to-have features. But it always comes down to a trade-off between essential vs nice to have, between cost and marketing. If the marketers think a certain feature will be highly profitable AND make that model sell better, you can be sure it will make it into the vehicle. At some point they have to stop adding features, because although customers might like them they won't want to pay extra. At $25k the Equinox 1LT (what I bought) is a really nice car and great value.

But let's say the 1LT actually cost $35k and came with tons more features. At that price there's no way I'd buy it, even if it had the power passenger seat, push-button start, sunroof, auto-up power windows, etc... By that point the car is much less affordable, no matter how nice it becomes. For me, I can overlook certain things as long as the features important to me are present. As 2010Nox said, if the car you like happens to come with a feature you don't necessarily need, that's ok, but you probably won't buy a car that doesn't have something you DO need.

DeMAN said:
After saying the above I still love my Nox
That's exactly what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Do you have nav? I think you have to have that for the auto dimming to be disableable (is that a word?). My backup camera is in the mirror and it doesn't seem to disable even while holding the button.
Nope, no NAV. Does yours turn off the light next to the button? You have to hold it for a while for it to actually turn it off and it takes about 30 secs to light back up if it was dimmed.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I tried this once. The light DID turn off and I think it disabled the camera but not the auto-dimming. But I'll have to try this again, now I'm not 100% sure. ???

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hmmm, I thought that it turned off the auto dimming as it DID get brighter but it could of been the vehicle behind me just got farther back.

Never used reverse so didnt notice if the camera stopped working.

I do remember that our 09 Malibu LTZ used auto dimming and that was how you turned it off in it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm disappointed that Chevy did not offer foglights on all the trim models. And to add further, that they don't offer a package to add them on through the dealerships.

·
Registered
332 Posts
GFab said:
I'm disappointed that Chevy did not offer foglights on all the trim models. And to add further, that they don't offer a package to add them on through the dealerships.
Over here they're on everything except the base LS units. That follows suit with just about all the competition. Just look at a base model Escape, Rav, CRV, Journey, etc., all no fogs. Unfortunately for US customers you have to go up two trim levels to get them. While it would be nice to have a simple dealer add on kit for them, I think the idea of not doing that is an attempt to help retain the model variation.

But I have to admit that the plastic inserts without fogs isn't very appealing, especially on light colour vehicles. But then the Nox fogs with their chrome accents are one of the nicest around IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
equinox2 said:
They fixed that with 2011, my 2011 has 4 switches, two for front passengers and 2 for rear passengers.
I think the complaint was mainly that the rear passengers don't have access to turn on their own reading lamp in the back (as was standard in my TrailBlazer). It sounds like there are now separate 4 switches in the 2011 model...there isn't a 5th to turn on all the interior lights at the same time? And how do the rear passengers turn theirs on? Someone in the front has to control that?

Currently, only the driver/front passenger have their own reading light switches (which are unlit at night...which in addition to the unlighted glove compartment, is my 2nd biggest gripe about GM missing such straight-forward details). The other switch in the 2010 version controls all the interior lights at once (turn them all off, turn them all on, or turn them all on when a door is opened).

·
Registered
378 Posts
LeftyPJB said:
I think the complaint was mainly that the rear passengers don't have access to turn on their own reading lamp in the back (as was standard in my TrailBlazer). It sounds like there are now separate 4 switches in the 2011 model...there isn't a 5th to turn on all the interior lights at the same time? And how do the rear passengers turn theirs on? Someone in the front has to control that?

Currently, only the driver/front passenger have their own reading light switches (which are unlit at night...which in addition to the unlighted glove compartment, is my 2nd biggest gripe about GM missing such straight-forward details). The other switch in the 2010 version controls all the interior lights at once (turn them all off, turn them all on, or turn them all on when a door is opened).
Each light has its own switch; two lights in back have switch by them and by using the main switch that you control door lights with you can force to turn them all On. The front door light switch overwrites the "off" position of rear switches so they light up when you enter car or use the front switch to turn all lights on, and the back switches overwrite the front or door "off" command position by staying on when you press the individual switch by them.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Hmmm, I thought that it turned off the auto dimming as it DID get brighter but it could of been the vehicle behind me just got farther back.

Never used reverse so didnt notice if the camera stopped working.
I've been trying to experiment with this as well - on two seperate occasions I thought doing this turned it off but on few other occasions I did not notice any immediate changes as well. There might be a delay but I never tested long enough as I didn't want to do anything dangerous while driving.

I can confirm that when you do the 5 seconds hold the camera gets turned off as well.

From the manual:
Automatic Dimming
Rearview Mirror
The vehicle may have an automatic
dimming inside rearview mirror.
Automatic dimming reduces the
glare from the headlamps of the
vehicle behind you. The dimming
feature comes on and the indicator
light comes on each time the vehicle
is started.
O : Press to turn automatic
dimming on or off.
If the vehicle has a rear vision
camera (RVC) the O button for
turning the automatic dimming
feature on or off will not be
available. See Rear Vision Camera
(RVC) on page 9‑46 for more
information.
Vehicles Without a Navigation
System
When the key is in the ON/RUN
position and the driver shifts the
vehicle into R (Reverse), the video
image automatically appears in the
inside rearview mirror. Once the
driver shifts out of R (Reverse),
the video image automatically
disappears from the inside rearview
mirror.
Turning the Rear Vision Camera
System Off or On
To turn off the RVC system, press
and holdz, located on the inside
rearview mirror, until the left
indicator light turns off. The RVC
display is now disabled.
To turn the RVC system on again,
press and holdzuntil the left
indicator light illuminates. The RVC
system display is now enabled and
the display

·
Registered
626 Posts
I tried turning off the auto-dimming over the weekend, and it won't turn off. I have the rear view camera. The indicator light goes off and so the camera turns off, but there's apparently no way to disable the auto-dimming feature with RVC. Just like the manual says. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have read all of the gripes and I cant add anything about the auto dim rearview, but I can say that its annoying in my other car ('10 fusion) because it cant be turned off.

I just had a short stint with HID upgrades and I must say that its lame that the DRLs (daytime running lamps) use the lowbeam headlight rather than the ambers. It makes adding HIDs to the factory projectors a real pain, and takes away normal function of DRLs. Back to factory for me.

Otherwise I love the car.

21 - 40 of 428 Posts