GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, so maybe this question has been asked before. I hear all kinds of positive comments in regard to the Nox, but was wondering what owners don't like.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The hook for hanger on rear seat - take on sharp turn and clothes fall. What were they thinking!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My things that I don't like about the Nox are pretty minor but..

1. More soft touch surfaces in the interior. I don't mind plastic, as any car below $40k is going to have a mostly plastic interior....but there are different grades of plastic and GM didn't use the good stuff on some of the pieces.

2. Reading lamps with individual controls for the passengers should have been fundamental...designers really dropped the ball on that one.

3. I wish the windshield pillars weren't so thick...that combined with the back leaning angle of the windshield obstructs you vision..especially when making a right hand turn.

4. The gas tank on the passenger side takes some getting used to. On the other hand, if I ever for any reason run out of gas on a busy freeway...I won't have to put my butt out into traffic while tipping the gas can. ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not like the speedometer and tachometer plastic cover. In the daytime, the light from the sun shines on the plastic and makes it look deformed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't own an Equinox but I am contemplating one after my lease is up. My wife was up first but she just got the new Grand Cherokee. Could not convince her to make the switch. Anyway, things I am not enthused about after researching and test driving:

1- No adjustable air vents for the rear passengers.

2- No power front passenger seat.

3- No dual climate control.

4- No push button start.

5- The location of the unlock/lock button on the center stack.

6- No locking fuel door.

7- No ability to lock the AWD system to "on".

·
Registered
378 Posts
NoobNox said:
2. Reading lamps with individual controls for the passengers should have been fundamental...designers really dropped the ball on that one.
They fixed that with 2011, my 2011 has 4 switches, two for front passengers and 2 for rear passengers.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
nemesis04 said:
I don't own an Equinox but I am contemplating one after my lease is up. My wife was up first but she just got the new Grand Cherokee. Could not convince her to make the switch. Anyway, things I am not enthused about after researching and test driving:

1- No adjustable air vents for the rear passengers.

2- No power front passenger seat.

3- No dual climate control.

4- No push button start.

5- The location of the unlock/lock button on the center stack.

6- No locking fuel door.

7- No ability to lock the AWD system to "on".
The new 2011 Grand Cherokee is very nice, and if the base price was anywhere near the Equinox I would have waited a few months and gotten one. I knew it would likely be expensive...and I was right.

as for everything else you mentioned..

1. Yeah, there are underseat vents...but it doesn't work as well as the directional kind higher up (like on the back of the console)

2. Not a big deal that the LS/1LT doesn't have a power passenger seat....but not even an option on the LTZ? Major oversight..

3. Again, understandable on the lower trim levels...but not an option at any price? It is available on the SRX using the same platform so no excuse for this..

4. Not a big deal to me...and I've heard horror stories about cars having to be towed when these go bad.

5. I found it annoying at first until I found out the reason for it. Have you ever noticed how the door lock/unlock works even if the engine is off and no key is in the ignition? Well...just imagine a car thief that is skilled with a coathanger...and how much more difficult it would be to reach the center stack. ;)

6. How many "locking" gas doors will actually keep out someone who really wants to siphon? Same with easily defeated locking gloveboxes..

7. The Nox/Terrain/SRX are urban/suburban people haulers first and foremost...and the AWD is for bad conditons on pavement. If you want something to occasionally stray off-road then the Grand Cherokee you mentioned earlier sounds like the perfect thing.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
equinox2 said:
The hook for hanger on rear seat - take on sharp turn and clothes fall. What were they thinking!!
Hook for hanger on rear seat??? isn't the hook for hangers located almost all the way to the rear and up on both sides? plastic hook swings down

·
Registered
19 Posts
NoobNox said:
4. Not a big deal to me...and I've heard horror stories about cars having to be towed when these go bad.
I have had a push button start for 2 years and have never had a problem. Not to bring up the Jeep again but one thing I thought was neat was that you can take the push button out yourself and use the key if you did not like the idea of a push button start. At least the option is there.

5. I found it annoying at first until I found out the reason for it. Have you ever noticed how the door lock/unlock works even if the engine is off and no key is in the ignition? Well...just imagine a car thief that is skilled with a coathanger...and how much more difficult it would be to reach the center stack. ;)
I am sure it is a get used to type thing.

6. How many "locking" gas doors will actually keep out someone who really wants to siphon? Same with easily defeated locking gloveboxes..
I am not expecting Fort Nox on a locking gas door but a locked one would be passed by quicker then one that just flips open. At least I would know if someone F'd with the car. Right now someone could put something in your tank and you would never know.

7. The Nox/Terrain/SRX are urban/suburban people haulers first and foremost...and the AWD is for bad conditons on pavement. If you want something to occasionally stray off-road then the Grand Cherokee you mentioned earlier sounds like the perfect thing.
Not looking for something off road but there are other vehicles in this class (Sorrento, Santa Fe, etc.) that have that ability. Roads definitely get bad enough where an option to lock the system could come in handy. Just saying!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Rear visibility to the right is my main gripe. The C pillar is just huge and that very back side window is so small, it really hampers visibility. Doesn't appear that way from outside the car, but inside is another story. You really have to use your mirrors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't like the heater and defrost controls.Way to complicated for me

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thats one of the Terrains quality, the square rear windows are way more easy to look at.

mnussbaum said:
Rear visibility to the right is my main gripe. The C pillar is just huge and that very back side window is so small, it really hampers visibility. Doesn't appear that way from outside the car, but inside is another story. You really have to use your mirrors.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Too complicated to push the AUTO button ??

These are the simplier i ever seen.

nomad06 said:
I don't like the heater and defrost controls.Way to complicated for me

·
Registered
378 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Thats one of the Terrains quality, the square rear windows are way more easy to look at.
One reason why I wish I had test driven Terrain even though I preferred Equinox overall - those windows might have sold me on the Terrain esp. when the S/O drives.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
equinox2 said:
One reason why I wish I had test driven Terrain even though I preferred Equinox overall - those windows might have sold me on the Terrain esp. when the S/O drives.
Thye are not as big from the inside as they appear to be from the outside. (similar to the Equinox)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Then only have an Auto button and get rid of all the rest if you don't need them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bigdog9586 said:
The rear view camera through the mirror is a complete joke.
Huh? That's a great feature. If there's any complaint there, it's that you can't turn off the auto dimming feature.

1 - 20 of 428 Posts