GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I have been driving on Eco mode for the entire time of having my Terrain. I read reviews that you don't feel much of a differences driving in it and not driving in it. Is this the case in reality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have a 2011 I-4 AWD and it is averaging 20 city and about 22 on the few interstate trips I have taken. Eco mode has been on since I took delivery. It has just under 2000 miles on it, but the power is definitely picking up as it breaks in. Very happy with the truck overall and will be even happier once the mpg pick up. My advice is just give it some time and miles. These direct injection engines take a little longer to break-in all the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
What exactly causes an engine to "break in"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
franmorr1966 said:
What exactly causes an engine to "break in"?
When the vehicle is new all the driveline components are very tight, engine, tranny, and other parts. As you put more miles on it things start to loosen up a bit and MPG will go up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
When the vehicle is new all the driveline components are very tight, engine, tranny, and other parts. As you put more miles on it things start to loosen up a bit and MPG will go up.
That makes sense. Thank you. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
We've got just 1,000 miles on our 2011 LT' I4.When we got it we were getting 22MPG. Now we're getting 25.6mpg on the same circuit! I too believe it's the engine breaking in.Really like the interior room!We had a 2008 Malibu with the same engine. After it's break in period we were gettimg 32mpg! And remember, this is a larger and heavier vehicle with the same engine, but this one has the 6 speed tranny!Which helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
I have been driving on Eco mode for the entire time of having my Terrain. I read reviews that you don't feel much of a differences driving in it and not driving in it. Is this the case in reality?
Uhh...ever consider turning off eco and trying it for yourself? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
I have been driving on Eco mode for the entire time of having my Terrain. I read reviews that you don't feel much of a differences driving in it and not driving in it. Is this the case in reality?
I feel major difference. Eco On is slow grandma mobil, eco off I can accelerate quick when I need to and gas pedal response is much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Driving with ECO "ON" is like driving with a 500 lb bag of sand dragging behind you...Leave it off......the fuel savings are minimal at best, and the extra lugging the engine has to do as it shifts into higher gears "prematurely" cannot be doing the engine/tranny any good over the long term......

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I threw Eco to the wind. Had it off all day--needed to do some highway driving and the car was smoother with much more pep and punch. I can see the gas mileage plummeting a bit, but I think the driving experience will compensate for that. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Yeah, pretty much same here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Almost all of my driving is around town, so my MPG is much less then you guys that are driving on the HWY's.... Im happy so far with the truck but was hoping for better MPG.. hope it imporoves with time.. break in..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have the FWD with 500 miles on it and right now I'm getting about 21 mpg with eco on. Most of it is freeway and I usually go about 80 mph. It has moved up from 19 on the first tank so its getting better! I think I just need one good road trip and I'll be set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
xonecrazymofox said:
I have the FWD with 500 miles on it and right now I'm getting about 21 mpg with eco on. Most of it is freeway and I usually go about 80 mph. It has moved up from 19 on the first tank so its getting better! I think I just need one good road trip and I'll be set.
If you are going to be going 80, you might as well just went with the V6. You'd get exactly the same mileage as the I4 at that speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
bballr4567 said:
If you are going to be going 80, you might as well just went with the V6. You'd get exactly the same mileage as the I4 at that speed.
I'm not a car guy so this is something I wish I had known. Looks like from my driving habits, having V6 would have gotten me same mileage but more power when needed and towing capabilities...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I definitely should have bought a 6 cyl then too. My I4 AWD is only getting around 16 to 18 (winter) mpg in the city - that is with 4600 miles on it so far. If I had known that I would have purchased a 6. I like to drive 80 as well, and I am going to admit that I am a bit heavy on the peddle even in the city. I purchased the 4 because I thought I would get better mileage…but I love this vehicle none-the-less. Good advice for future buyers I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Tintrout said:
I definitely should have bought a 6 cyl then too. My I4 AWD is only getting around 16 to 18 (winter) mpg in the city - that is with 4600 miles on it so far. If I had known that I would have purchased a 6. I like to drive 80 as well, and I am going to admit that I am a bit heavy on the peddle even in the city. I purchased the 4 because I thought I would get better mileage…but I love this vehicle none-the-less. Good advice for future buyers I guess.
Well look on the bright side. Your bad mileage is from driving fast with a heavy foot. I am getting horrible mileage with a light foot going 55mph. I guess when the fuel mixes with the oil that can be expected :D Hopefully your mileage will go up soon. Michigan has a lemon law so I am hoping for a different vehicle with a V6, if not i guess a new I4 is better than nothing. Just not looking forward to another break in process :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Highway doing around 65, I get 29 mpg, around town around 22 mpg...terrain has 6,500 miles ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
buickx said:
Highway doing around 65, I get 29 mpg, around town around 22 mpg...terrain has 6,500 miles ...
Did you notice a huge increase in MPG as you put more miles on the car? I keep hearing that it takes 10000 miles to break in a DI engine. I think that is a joke!!! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Mine has 41,000 miles on it and it will be a year old April 16th. I guess you could say it's as broke-in as it's going to get. The best mileage I ever got was 24.5 with the 4 cylinder AWD. From the mileage you can tell there's alot of highway miles and 90% of the time I'm the only one in the car. I would NEVER reccomend this engine to anyone. It's very noisey and has to work hard to get up hills. When I have someone with me, they always remark about the noise. My company has 10 of these and they all sound the same and get nowhere near the 32 mpg GM claims in their ads. Get the 6 cylinder and you'll be much happier. Better yet get an Acadia or Enclave. For the small difference in price and mpg, you'll have a much superior vehicle.
 
21 - 40 of 107 Posts
Top