GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago my '05 Equinox started making a constant whirring noise consistent with wheel speed. Classic worn bearings, although there was no wheel play on jackstands. So I changed both front wheel bearings and everything seemed to be fixed. About a week later, it is now making a somewhat similar noise, but instead of being a constant whirring, it's a cyclical wha-wha-wha noise that gets faster with wheel speed, and happens while going straight or turning, but is most prominent while coasting. I still hear it a bit while slightly accelerating and slightly breaking, but hard acceleration makes it go away.

There is no clicking at all, even while turning, that would indicate CV joints.

Could this be bad CV joints, or did the cheap Duralast bearings I bought fail already? Or is it something else entirely? :help:

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My guess is a bad speed sensor in one of the front wheels. I had one go bad on an Olds Cutlas and it got progressively worse. Not a cheap repair as the hub has to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it. The damned lug nuts were loose. I was using my neighbor's air gun, and the compressor in the basement doesn't start up sometimes when the pressure is low. I used a torque wrench on the entire job except the lug nuts. Oh well, lesson learned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
chrismusaf said:
So a few weeks ago my '05 Equinox started making a constant whirring noise consistent with wheel speed. Classic worn bearings, although there was no wheel play on jackstands. So I changed both front wheel bearings and everything seemed to be fixed. About a week later, it is now making a somewhat similar noise, but instead of being a constant whirring, it's a cyclical wha-wha-wha noise that gets faster with wheel speed, and happens while going straight or turning, but is most prominent while coasting. I still hear it a bit while slightly accelerating and slightly breaking, but hard acceleration makes it go away.

There is no clicking at all, even while turning, that would indicate CV joints.

Could this be bad CV joints, or did the cheap Duralast bearings I bought fail already? Or is it something else entirely? :help:

Thanks for any advice!
I have a question my 05 Equinox it has a high whinning sound coming from the passenger side. It starts at 35mph and increases with speed and deceases when slowing down? I checked the front hubs and they are not hot. I am not sure were to look for this problem. Can use all the help I can.
thanks,
max

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
madmax61958 said:
I have a question my 05 Equinox it has a high whinning sound coming from the passenger side. It starts at 35mph and increases with speed and deceases when slowing down? I checked the front hubs and they are not hot. I am not sure were to look for this problem. Can use all the help I can.
thanks,
max
Sounds like bearings - try driving straight, and then gently turn (like slowly changing lanes) both right and left and a bearing problem will get louder on the side that you are "turning" towards.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Max,

Has your concern been resolved? Please feel to keep me posted. I may also be able to assist your further with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts