GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
361 - 378 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 2018 Terrain which we totalled in an accident, not our fault and with the insurance now have a 2018 Equinox with 20,000 to replace it. Just love driving it and seems like a really nice car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there everybody -- been lurking on this forum for a number of years now; figured it was time to formally register. I have a healthy obsession with the Nox, so here's what's in/ has been in my garage in the past seven or so years:

1. 2014 Equinox 2LT 3.6L V6 (sold)
2. 2015 Equinox 1LT 2.4L (sold)
3. 2017 Equinox 1LT 2.4L (current)
4. 2020 Equinox 1LT 1.5L (current)

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Ok kippis, how about a little ranking and likes and dislikes of your vehicles. This may help people that are making a purchase decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok kippis, how about a little ranking and likes and dislikes of your vehicles. This may help people that are making a purchase decision.
Fair enough!

I must confess, I'm picking up the 2020 tonight and letting go of the 2014 at the same time, so I can't give any specifics on the new guy just yet. Happy to do a follow up on it...I can say it's in the new Chocolate Metallic color. Made me hungry. Lol

My current favorite will always be the 3.6L V6. Lots of power and a smooth, comfortable ride. The 2014 has been my daily driver to/ from work, with mostly highway driving and a 85 mile round-trip distance. I tacked on average 20K miles a year in this car, and it is a beast. Never experienced any mechanical issues in the six years I've owned it; with regular maintenance, I've only had to replace two sets of tires, break pads, and rotors. Probably a smattering of recalls in there somewhere, but nothing to write home about. It also had footwell courtesy lights and ambient lighting. I don't know why, but those were a nice bonus for a klutz like me. All around, it is just a great car to drive.

My wife uses the 2017 as her daily driver. I think the 2.4L variants are good "around-town" vehicles, but definitely lacking in performance on the highway, at least in my experience. Mechanically it's holding up very well. I do like the updated exterior styling, and the LED DRLs/ fog lamp combo are a nice touch. Otherwise, the mid-cycle refresh was nearly identical to the 2013-15 in terms of interior style and options, with a mild exterior refinement. Was also kind of bummed that it ditched the CD player, but I'm one of the few weirdos that still popped in a disc every now and again.

For the 2nd Gen Nox, the 2016-17 design is my favorite.

I won't say much about the 2015 Nox as it was mostly the same as the '14, minus the 3.6L V6 and a couple extra bells and whistles.

2020 opinion soon to come!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say that I love this forum. Keep up the good work. On January me and the wife bought a 2020 Eqinox premier and so far we love the car, is more the wife’s car lol and she loves it, she already got used to the engine shutdown at the lights lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just purchased my first ever Chevy product and it's a used 2020 Equinox Premier AWD 2.0L with about 10,000 miles on it and pretty much every option. I'm getting a bit too old to be crawling under a dolly to install and remove safety chains or to install and remove the wheel straps for towing a car behind a motorhome, especially in inclement weather. My first project will be to install all of the components and systems needed to dinghy tow the Equinox.

This actually is the first SUV I've owned since I bought my very first brand new vehicle, a 1979 International Harvester Scout II 4WD with auto-locking hubs and the Eddie Bauer interior. I kind of wish I still had that vehicle because they're worth a lot more today than I paid for it. :) Unfortunately, it also was a real rust bucket.

So far, all of four days, it's a very nice car. I wish the OnStar remote functionality was more in-depth because I'm used to seeing more of the vehicle status: Doors open/closed, doors locked/unlocked, trunk/hatch open/closed, engine running or not, remote start a lot more times than just twice, etc. so I'll have to decide whether to keep the OnStar expense when the trial ends. I'll really miss the ability to start the car remotely more than twice. When I traveled for work in the winter I could start my car in NE Ohio where the overnight temps at the airport were zero or lower to help keep the battery up.

But I'll survive. :)

Glad to be here!

·
Registered
218 Posts
My 2010 Equinox has terrible gas mileage-but it still looks great.
I can actually see the gas needle going down as I drive for any duration.
Any options to correct ?
Can you add any details such as engine size and what the MPG is calculating as? If you really can see the needle moving it sounds like the fuel is getting pumped out somewhere when under pressure.

Have you checked the usual suspects such as the air filter and ducting to the air filter? I had my hybrid at the dealer for an oil change and they mentioned the air filter was dirty but did not offer to change it. I thought "Air filter? I've got 49,000 miles on this thing and I can't remember it ever being changed." So I looked at the filter and "plugged with layers of dirt, leaves and twigs" was a more accurate description.

I changed the filter and it fixed a mileage problem I had. The car usually got 42 - 44 MPG but had drifted down to the low 30's. It's now back in the 40's. Duh.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife and I picked up a new 2020 Equinox Premier AWD with the 2.0 engine about three weeks ago, replacing a 2015 Impala LTZ V6.

The Impala had some features the Equinox lacks such as power tilt/telescoping steering column (probably what I miss the most), adjustable B-pillar seatbelt mount points (not really needed), and ambient lighting on the dash and door panels (trivial, but it was cool).

New stuff in the Equinox the Impala didn't have include a power-close tailgate (nice to have), two-tone black/tan interior (nice), and adaptive cruise control (almost as good as my Autopilot, but lacks a forward radar sensor so possibly not as good in rain/fog/etc.) Plus there's the wireless charging (which works through my wife's OtterBox case) and Apple CarPlay (haven't tried it yet as it requires the phone to be plugged in, and there's no need to plug in to charge a phone now.)

There are new things I don't like such as the increased price of OnStar, the fact that "driver profiles" change when starting the car rather than when the driver door is opened (seriously, who thought "let's wait until the driver sits in the car before moving the seat to the correct memory position"?) and certain features can't be set per driver (radio presets and such work per driver and are nice, but I prefer the audible warning beeps over the shaker seat, and I like my mirrors to tilt in reverse; those two can't be set on a per-driver basis.) There is also no documentation that specifically says which settings are per-driver and which apply to all drivers of the vehicle.

Then there is the dumb issue of the car not being able to automatically change driver profile if both keys are in range. My wife primarily drives the car and keeps her key in her purse, but if I had last driven the car it won't switch to her profile automatically if my key is in my dresser drawer, as it is still "in range" of the car in the garage - I have to move the key to a spare bedroom so the car doesn't detect it the the profile to recognize her key as the "only" key and change profiles. The Impala never had this issue. I'll need to get a cheap Faraday cage/metal box to shield my key. I wonder if an old Altoids tin would work?

OEM tires aren't Goodyear, but Hankook instead. I've never owned them before, and my wife doesn't push the limits, so most likely not a problem. They might be very good, time will tell.

In three weeks we've only put about 500 miles on the car, no issues found so far. Not sure but the fan speed indicator on the dash might not be working - I've seen videos where there are lights on the dash for the fan speed when not in Auto mode, and other videos where these lights don't exist.

My main concerns are the durability of the high-strung turbo four, and especially a complicated 9-speed automatic.

Reactions: zbrad

·
Registered
2021 Equinox LS AWD 1.5T
20 Posts
Hello. I already post an introduction, but I mistakenly put it in the Terrain section. I just moved over here from chevymalibuforum.com after trading my 2016 Malibu 1.5T for a new 2021 Equinox 1.5T.

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Mode of transport Vehicle

The Malibu was a great car, but the 'Nox has more features that I prefer. I really wanted all wheel drive and I definitely enjoy sitting up high again. I got tired of being blinded by truck/suv headlights in the rear view mirror. LOL. I can definitley relate to @bignick2020 comments:

two-tone black/tan interior (nice), and adaptive cruise control
I have two-tone black/gray interior and it looks fantastic with the silver paint. The adaptive cruise is great too.

OEM tires aren't Goodyear, but Hankook instead. I've never owned them before
I have Bridgestone Alenza's, which I've never owned before. My Malibu had Continental True Contact Eco tires and they lasted almost 70,000 miles.

My main concerns are the durability of the high-strung turbo four, and especially a complicated 9-speed automatic.
I had the same 1.5T in my Malibu and I was initially concerned about long-term durability as well. However, the Malibu ran great for 120,000 miles and wasn't showing any signs of major wear. I didn't see an increase in oil consumption at the 120K mark, so the piston rings held up anyway. I never had any turbo problems either. I also have the same 6-speed transmission again, which was reliable in the Malibu. I followed the severe service schedule and changed the fluid every 45K. I will do it more often in the Equinox.

In three weeks we've only put about 500 miles on the car, no issues found so far
I've only had mine for a week. The only minor complaint I have is the horsepower. The Equinox is bigger and heavier, so it's not as peppy as my Malibu. My vehicle is a highway commuter, so that's definitely not a deal breaker.

So far, I am very pleased with the 'Nox. I had driven them several times when my Malibu was in for service, so I was already familiar with the platform.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got my wife the 2021 Premier. So far so good. Only a 1.5 Liter engine with turbo, but it seems to have plenty of pep. She loves the auto lift gate but using the foot control is quite squirrely. Another thing I will have questions on is the Nav system and saving a new waypoint. Other than that and being so much smaller than her old Dodge Grand Caravan she is quite happy with it. Have added window visors, front, rear and tailgate floor mats along with mud flaps since we live rural.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
6 Posts
previous post stated '' My wife loves her equinox. 2.4 great mileage , uses it for work, home Healthcare. It started cutting off when hot at long stops, 20 to 30 Seconds. Does the whole deal reduced power/stabilitrac etc. Checked code and it had a po191. So, replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor, also cleaned pcv office.then I found the fuel pump was leaking fuel into the engine..replace that pump. Still cutting off so bought another sensor , this time bought a acdelco version. No help.
So I took it to a dealership for diagnostic. Dealer wanted 1625.00 to replace the injectors. Paid 150 for the diagnostics and bought new acdelco injectors and replaced them . Still cuts off. Though might be a airflow sensor. Replaced with new OE sensor. No change....
Any ideas? In tank pump? Worn cam lobes for fuel pump? Grasping at straws here. Was ASE certified master tech for over 20 year. I'm lost..... Help... Thanks for any ideas.....Lonnie "
Thanks for looking..

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,516 Posts
@AmxLonnie : Lonnie ... this "Thread" is just to introduce yourself, if you're a new Member. Then, you post your car problem in a separate Thread in the appropriate sub-Forum (like you did in "Equinox - General Discussion").

But you never want to post the same thing twice in two different places.

If you need to update your Post (because you mis-spelled something, need to change the wording, or forgot to mention something), you can go back to the original post and click the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of (and of) your posts, select Edit, make your changes/updates, and then click the SAVE button below the "window" you just edited your Post in.

@Admin : probably want to remove this stuff (from Post #375 onward), and merge into the thread created in "Equinox - General Discussion" ..

This one:

361 - 378 of 378 Posts