GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Terrain that has been having weird starting issues. It refuses to start when the weather is cold. It's really not an issue during the summer months but now that it's winter it really is a pain. Obviously, I already tried jumping the car and all checking all the basic options.

I had it checked while under warranty where the deal had my vehicle for over two weeks and just weren't able to figure out what the issue was. So basically on a cold morning in order to start the vehicle, I have to heat my garage up enough to warm the vehicle up and it will start right up every time. And in order to make sure I can make it back home I have to run out every hour or two and let it run for a bit throughout the day.

Dealer basically checked everything and couldn't figure out, I can't figure it out and now that the weather is consistently dipping below 30 every day its really becoming an annoyance again.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Wow, sucks to be in your shoes. Hope someone has some insights that I don't have.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When you said refusing to start, do you mean that it clicks and won't turn over, or it cranks without starting?

If the temperature is dropping -30, I wonder if the battery is freezing up. When I was stationed in Alaska, we went through so many brand new batteries that were frozen.

If it isn't the battery, I wonder if your coolant is at the proper mixture. Or maybe the weight of your oil is too thick to do anything helpful with it being that cold out.

I'm only speculating. But those are some things I would look into just to see.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When the vehicle was into the dealer originally I wonder if they just scanned for stored codes or actually had a Tech II on it during a no start situation? Modern vehicles are so complex that it's really a shot in the dark without a trouble code or live data. A relay or sensor may have gone temperature sensitive wonky, it could be anything from a fuel pump relay to the IAC. I suppose it could be even a bad ground somewhere where as the metal shrinks due to the cold, a somewhat tenous ground is lost completely. I don't envy you, but good luck getting to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
If the temperature is dropping -30, I wonder if the battery is freezing up. When I was stationed in Alaska, we went through so many brand new batteries that were frozen.
I think his temperature is dropping to +30 !

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had it checked while under warranty where the deal had my vehicle for over two weeks and just weren't able to figure out what the issue was. .
Do you have another dealer within a reasonable distance to see if they have any luck finding the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you said refusing to start, do you mean that it clicks and won't turn over, or it cranks without starting?
No crank at all. I put the key in, turn it and nothing but the electronics turn on. Nothing at all from the ignition part of it.

+30 :smile:

If it isn't the battery, I wonder if your coolant is at the proper mixture. Or maybe the weight of your oil is too thick to do anything helpful with it being that cold out.
I am just assuming at this point everything is ok or ok enough since everything has been taken care of at the dealer and would assume they had checked all that at the minimum over the two weeks. Might be ignorant of me to assume tho..:plain:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
That’s the original battery, right? Sounds like poor cold weather performance from a dying battery

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Three days have passed and OP has not reported back. I think he may have frozen in his car. Or, another fly-by, huh JayTee ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts