GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I took my 2011 Equinox in for servicing it was for that recall (which took two days). A week ago I happened to be looking under the hood and saw what appeared to be lint near the air filter. I pulled it all out and it was a ball of lint about the size of a softball! I have photos but I apparently am not allowed to post links.

Any theories on how this happened?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does your car sit in one place a lot? It looks to me like a mouse has built a nest.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree,some kind of rodent. Clear it out and look out for chewed wires as I had the nest and chewed wires once on an old 280z

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Looks like the car insulation that is (was) inside the front fender. Do you live in a cold climate ? Someone (probably a mouse) want to keep warm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RIT333 said:
Looks like the car insulation that is (was) inside the front fender. Do you live in a cold climate ? Someone (probably a mouse) want to keep warm.
I live in Maryland so it has been somewhat chilly off and on. It looked like insulation to me but I had no idea where it might be coming from. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
How far is it from your or your neighbors dryer vent? You wight want to check those too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kraagh said:
Does your car sit in one place a lot? It looks to me like a mouse has built a nest.
I agree. You got yourself a mouse, or some rodent for sure!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't think it's a rodent. I found a wad of that exact same stuff behind the oil filter the first time I changed the oil last month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tsduke said:
I don't think it's a rodent. I found a wad of that exact same stuff behind the oil filter the first time I changed the oil last month.
Wow. Well it has to be flying out of somewhere then.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
tsduke said:
Why not ? There could be more than 1 mouse looking for a nice warm place to spend the WInter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I didn't see any signs of a mouse. That insulation was just in a loose wad. I suppose anything is possible, but I also haven't seen any signs of mice in my garage either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tsduke said:
I didn't see any signs of a mouse. That insulation was just in a loose wad. I suppose anything is possible, but I also haven't seen any signs of mice in my garage either.
The way it was packed in on my car, there wasn't a lot of room for a mouse. Also, we are frequented by a neighbor's outdoor cat who doesn't seem to be very hospitable to mice if you get my drift.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I vote for a mouse.

Mice and other small rodents are notorious for building nests in unexpected areas with materials they can find nearby. Plus they're fast at it and fit into very small areas.

I've had two separate occurrences with rodents. One built a nest out of leaves, etc. in the heater plenum of our '99 Transsport van within two days when we were camping. The other occurrence was at my friends farm. I noticed a mouse trying to get into our house from the garage and we finally managed to get rid of it. I couldn't figure how it got there since the dog usually keeps them away while she's in there.

I found out where it came from when I found a nest of grass, etc. built on the intake manifold of our 2000 Malibu. So that mouse only took 4 hours to build the nest and hitched a ride home with us.

In your case it looks like vehicle insulation and that would concern me as to where it came from on the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2010Nox said:
I vote for a mouse.

Mice and other small rodents are notorious for building nests in unexpected areas with materials they can find nearby. Plus they're fast at it and fit into very small areas.

I've had two separate occurrences with rodents. One built a nest out of leaves, etc. in the heater plenum of our '99 Transsport van within two days when we were camping. The other occurrence was at my friends farm. I noticed a mouse trying to get into our house from the garage and we finally managed to get rid of it. I couldn't figure how it got there since the dog usually keeps them away while she's in there.

I found out where it came from when I found a nest of grass, etc. built on the intake manifold of our 2000 Malibu. So that mouse only took 4 hours to build the nest and hitched a ride home with us.

In your case it looks like vehicle insulation and that would concern me as to where it came from on the vehicle.
One other thing I'll mention is that the plastic cover that the lint was piled against is very wobbly. Is that normal?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Typzslow said:
One other thing I'll mention is that the plastic cover that the lint was piled against is very wobbly. Is that normal?
I don't think that has much to do with the lint ball and the insulation under that cover is sponge rubber, not the material in your pics. Our cover is just sitting there as well and I believe lifts off quite easily.

It's quite likely that the material that the rodent used is not even from your Equinox. It may be from another vehicle close by.

·
Registered
371 Posts
2010Nox said:
I don't think that has much to do with the lint ball and the insulation under that cover is sponge rubber, not the material in your pics. Our cover is just sitting there as well and I believe lifts off quite easily.

It's quite likely that the material that the rodent used is not even from your Equinox. It may be from another vehicle close by.
Not sure about that. The material I found on top the engine block was exactly the same and I don't think I live anywhere near the poster.

·
Registered
361 Posts
tsduke said:
Not sure about that. The material I found on top the engine block was exactly the same and I don't think I live anywhere near the poster.
that material looks like CARPET padding. Anyone could have carpet padding in their garages the rodent is using.

BTW we don't live in a really bad climate but i have seen cats live under peoples hoods because it is warm at night. I have opened my sisters hood in corona one cold night and found her cat in there. gotta remember the engine holds heat a long time after you shut it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AMG Eric said:
that material looks like CARPET padding. Anyone could have carpet padding in their garages the rodent is using.

BTW we don't live in a really bad climate but i have seen cats live under peoples hoods because it is warm at night. I have opened my sisters hood in corona one cold night and found her cat in there. gotta remember the engine holds heat a long time after you shut it off.
But my car is not kept in the garage. So I'm more inclined to think it is some sort of insulation. An earlier poster mentioned it might be coming from the wheel wells but I don't see anything in the wheel wells that looks like the stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts