GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be switching to synthetic oil but I would like an opinion as to when, based on how long it takes for the Ecotec engine wear particles to get filtered and changed out. I am going to have the dealer change the oil and rotate tires at 15000 mi., and by then IMO the majority of particles would be worked out. I intend to do 10,000 mile oil changes with synthetic. Sound like a good plan? Anyone here done oil analysis? :-\

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wouldn't go over what the oil life monitor says the interval is. Used oil analysis has been done on the V6 GM DI engines, and it is hard on oil. I am planning 5k intervals (unless the OLM tells me to change it sooner) with Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability synthetic oils.

Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for more.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Since the Dextos spec is based on a GM OEM "syn blend"...IMHO you could switch to full syn whenever you are ready

I do however think 10k is too long between changes...at a minimum I would follow the OLM

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like Amsoil doesn't make a high efficiency particulate oil filter for this engine :mad: All they show is the Wix element, which I don't think is good enough for extended drains. I may have to rethink the 10,000 mile option.

I have been using Amsoil products for over 20 years, back when the only alternative was Mobil 1. I haven't driven a 4 cylinder car since I was learning to drive with my mother's 1982 Pontiac Phoenix that had the 2.5L Iron Duke engine. It was a real bitch to change the oil and plugs on it. Hard to believe it had only 90 Hp :eek: less than half of our Ecotecs :D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
GMJay said:
It looks like Amsoil doesn't make a high efficiency particulate oil filter for this engine :mad: All they show is the Wix element, which I don't think is good enough for extended drains. I may have to rethink the 10,000 mile option.

I have been using Amsoil products for over 20 years, back when the only alternative was Mobil 1. I haven't driven a 4 cylinder car since I was learning to drive with my mother's 1982 Pontiac Phoenix that had the 2.5L Iron Duke engine. It was a real bitch to change the oil and plugs on it. Hard to believe it had only 90 Hp :eek: less than half of our Ecotecs :D
10k isn't too long for a good synthetic, but it is too long for a filter in my opinion. I use Mobil 1 every 6k miles...and while I haven't done a change myself, from what I read here and other forums it is very simple on the 2.4 I4. If you pop the hood you can see and reach the filter on top of the engine without any gymnastics..

·
Registered
977 Posts
No matter what oil you use syn or organic keep an eye out for fuel in your oil. The fuel contaiminates the oil.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
The filter is a breeze to change. And no mess either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mnussbaum said:
No reason you couldn't change out just the filter after 5k, it's very easy to do if you buy the correct socket for $7. Then change the oil and filter at 10k.
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter-Wrench-2-2L/dp/B0009OMYAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1301188522&sr=8-1
Certainly an option but one of the key points to extended oil life is a more efficient filter that captures particles of smaller microns than OEM elements. Amsoil has a bypass setup that allows the use of a high efficiency spin-on filter. I have never used their bypass because I could always find their spin-on that replaced the OEM. The bypass might be overkill for the Equinox.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I changed to full synthetic at 1800 miles and changes the filter. Never looked back. Very happy!

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain 2.0 AWD , no V92 trailer option
517 Posts
with Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability synthetic oils.

Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com for more.
[/quote]

There are quasi synthetics manufactured from dead dinosaurs.
Then there are real synthetics manufactured from esters etc. Manufactured by Mobile 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line and Lubrication Engineers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts