GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Terrain with water leaking into the spare tire compartment when it rains. I've read the post to just get it water checked to find the leak from one of the 8+ places it could be leaking in from. My question is....has anyone just drilled a hole in the bottom of the spare tire compartment to let the water just drain out like that? AND is there any chance the fuel tank or fuel lines be damaged by doing that? (either punturing or from semi-constant water contact)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have a 2010 Terrain with water leaking into the spare tire compartment when it rains. I've read the post to just get it water checked to find the leak from one of the 8+ places it could be leaking in from. My question is....has anyone just drilled a hole in the bottom of the spare tire compartment to let the water just drain out like that? AND is there any chance the fuel tank or fuel lines be damaged by doing that? (either punturing or from semi-constant water contact)

Have not drilled a hold in spare tire well to allow water to drain. Over the years, I have experienced water leaks on several vehicles (but not a Terrain).

You do run the risk of damaging a fuel tank, fuel line, evaporate line, wiring harness, etc. Exhaust fumes could enter the hole, such as while you’re stopped with the engine running. If you don’t stop the source of the water, you run the risk of mold and mildew, and respiratory issues.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Don’t know how nimble or flexible you are, but if I had this problem I’d be clearing house in the back and then sitting there while someone sprayed a garden hose from an elevated position (simulating rainfall). And I’d do it in sections, not like I was washing the whole car at once - otherwise you won’t be sure where the leak is coming from. It may not leak immediately. There may be a delay while something fills up first. So stay in one spot, soak, then wait and listen. Then repeat.

It’s either the back windows or the liftgate window or seal, or the tail lights.

Drilling a hole is a bad idea, but have you even looked yet? There might already be a hole there with a rubber plug. Seems to me I’ve seen this before in one of my old liftgate areas.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think there is a rubber plug in the spare tire well to run the wires for trailer lights. Remove the plug and no damage to gas tank or lines. It can replaced if you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there is a rubber plug in the spare tire well to run the wires for trailer lights. Remove the plug and no damage to gas tank or lines. It can replaced if you want.
Hmmm....I'll check for that next time we have some decent weather over the weekend.

Don’t know how nimble or flexible you are, but if I had this problem I’d be clearing house in the back and then sitting there while someone sprayed a garden hose from an elevated position (simulating rainfall). And I’d do it in sections, not like I was washing the whole car at once - otherwise you won’t be sure where the leak is coming from. It may not leak immediately. There may be a delay while something fills up first. So stay in one spot, soak, then wait and listen. Then repeat.

It’s either the back windows or the liftgate window or seal, or the tail lights.

Drilling a hole is a bad idea, but have you even looked yet? There might already be a hole there with a rubber plug. Seems to me I’ve seen this before in one of my old liftgate areas.
I'll try this if I can't find that plug.

Thanks for that info too Colt Hero!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try a few of these suggestions out starting with looking for the rubber plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this exact problem (and it's been raining a lot lately). Have you figured anything out? I also read somewhere that the sunroof drain hose can get clogged and drain into this area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have this exact problem (and it's been raining a lot lately). Have you figured anything out? I also read somewhere that the sunroof drain hose can get clogged and drain into this area.
I ended up taking my Terrain to my normal independent shop. He said there were two factory cut holes along the pillars of the rear hatch that had some type of tape (like a thicker duct tape) over them that had deteriorated. He said he put a new patch and seal over the holes. It seems to have stopped the water getting in for my case. Honestly I think you'll have to just take it somewhere and have them run their water test to find the leak. My mechanic had my truck for 2 days hunting down the leak. He had to take interior panels off to find out where the water was leaking from.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
recently was airing up the tires.
Removed the rear cover to check the donut spare.
I found moisture/condensation on the top part of the tires rim.... OH OH....
Thinking there was a puddle of water. I removed everything and checked back there.... All dry. No leak from anywhere.
Most likely condensation from the hot/cold/ rain we had.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
Most likely condensation from the hot/cold/ rain we had.

If you want to get rid of that problem permanently, you might want to consider moving to the Great Northeast. We don't get any "hot/cold? rain here, all of ours is cold, and often it is white and floats gently down to the ground ! I know, I am jealous of you ! When we go to check the spare tire well for moisture, it usually doesn't even have a tire in it, because it has rusted out from all of the salt on the roads. Another "feature" of living in the GNE is that we don't have to buy table salt - we can just sweep if off of the ground, or brush it off of our cars, and clothes !

Wow, I never knew the many "advantages" of living in the GNE !

Reactions: UnclebubbaSLE

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 SLT Diesel Terrain with the same problem. The water built up in the spare tire compartment to the point that the water flowed into the rear passenger floor. That's when I noticed the water problem, by hearing the water splashing around. I went outside while it was raining and found water droplets near the aft right rear vent by the hatch (See Pictures). The vehicle is at the dealer and I am waiting on their finding.

2018 SLT Diesel Terrain
21,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
That isn't good, I'd look for those 2 sports as ceehow217 posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a followup on the water leak. The dealer replaced the sunroof frame under warranty. It has been four months since the dealer repair and no more water leaks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just a followup on the water leak. The dealer replaced the sunroof frame under warranty. It has been four months since the dealer repair and no more water leaks.

Thanks, good to know, cause the couple Terrains I checked out had wet in spare tire areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes they sure did. Wet as could be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, 1st place I check when looking at possible new purchase Terrains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
See attached pictures of a 2014 Terrain, holes factory made, it's very obvious how dumb USA auto industry is, I can't believe that any foreign vehicle is way more quality than USA ones, it;s embarrassing. I had to take off the trim by the latch and both sides panels in order to track the incoming water after I opened the water hose aiming to were the tailgate gap is, nothing to do with gaskets or mastic or anything like that, it was just the poor quality of the most vehicle made in USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
See attached pictures of a 2014 Terrain, holes factory made UNDER THE TAIL LIGHTS, it's very obvious how dumb USA auto industry is, I can't believe that any foreign vehicle is way more quality than USA ones, it;s embarrassing. I had to take off the trim by the latch and both sides panels in order to track the incoming water after I opened the water hose aiming to were the tailgate gap is, nothing to do with gaskets or mastic or anything like that, it was just the poor quality of the most vehicle made in USA.
In order to fix it I used A/C metallic duct tape along with E6000 glue, NO MORE LEAKS SINCE..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See attached pictures of a 2014 Terrain, holes factory made, it's very obvious how dumb USA auto industry is, I can't believe that any foreign vehicle is way more quality than USA ones, it;s embarrassing. I had to take off the trim by the latch and both sides panels in order to track the incoming water after I opened the water hose aiming to were the tailgate gap is, nothing to do with gaskets or mastic or anything like that, it was just the poor quality of the most vehicle made in USA.
Oh sh*t!! I believe that is what my mechanic was explaining to me. Those areas with the random tape(?) over them. I didn't know the exact locations but I knew they were around the tailgate somewhere. So they are behind the tail lights. Nice find!! And pics!! Yes, that is extremely poor design. GM does have me smh more times than I should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had this issue and it turned out to be the taillight assembly. I didn’t know the water was coming from the tailgate. I thought it was coming from the AC drains or windshield because that’s where the water was traveling to the front carpet area since I park on a slight hill. This caused havoc and the water started evaporating and condensation started to cause electronic problems. The dealer wanted to charge $5k+ just to fix the problem but I was able to get it fix cheaper (thank GOD) and I just used sealer to stop the leaks in the tailgate area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts