GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Dealership & Tech Put a Bug in my Ear About Water Intrusion into Spare Tire Area Terrain/Equinox... Here May Be the Problem... He said,
(1) Remove the (2) Top Plastic Covers That Are By Rear Light Assy. (With Tailgate) Open
(2) Remove (2) 10mm Bolts
(3) Pull Straight Back on Whole Light Assy. **** R/H Rear Light Assy. Has "Ground" Wire Terminal on "Top" Bolt.
(4) Look Inside Where Light Assy. Was & You'll See a 4"x4" "Duct Tape Type Patch Covering a 2"x2" Hole. The Tape Comes Loose & Allows Water to Enter the Inside of the Body. (Tape on My 2014 GMC Terrain Was "Starting" to Come Loose. But, Still Had Its Integrity.
(5) Pointers.... R/H Side Was Hard to Pull "Straight" Back Had to Put "Painters" Tape on Forward Edge of Paint" (To Keep From Scratching Paint) & Use "Plastic" Type Putty Knife to Pry Light Assy Loose From Guide Holes. (You Will See a "Flat" Edge Guide @ Bottom of Plastic Light Assy. & (2) Guide Pins & Holes. Highly Suggest Using Vaseline on Flat Guide Male & Female Parts & On (2) Guide Pin Male & Female Ends. "Remember" the R/H Top "Ground Terminal. Good Time to "Clean it for Corrosion. Remember Your Working With "Plastic" Be "Gentle" ***Tech Said He's Seen it So Bad It Had "Flooded Front Seat Floorboards. Good Luck. Easy Fix

(See Photos Attached)
Water Intrusion 002.JPG Water Intrusion 003.JPG Water Intrusion 001.JPG Water Intrusion 001.JPG

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice write-up, I'm sure it will help some people here! On another note, there seems to be a pattern here with GM and their engineering shortfalls, just use duct tape! That was their solution to leaking a/c condensers on the 14-16 pickups.
They'll be using haywire next.:rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts