GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Equinox and recently found water pooling in the spare tire well in the trunk. I have no idea where it is coming from. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
jtaets said:
I have a 2007 Equinox and recently found water pooling in the spare tire well in the trunk. I have no idea where it is coming from. Anyone have any ideas?
My 05 had water comming in from around taillights and would pool in spare tire well

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Wow - 7 different ways to have the car leak. Nice job GM !

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know that this is an old thread but this is just what I was looking for. Water in the spare tire well has been a problem for the last year plus a few months. The odd thing is that it only seems to collect water while it is moving. Sitting out in any rain storm doesn't seem to cause any leaks but the tire well will fill up if it's being driven. I have already resealed a few of the areas listed in the bulletin and also taken out the rear wheel well liners and resealed all seams in that area. Now I have a few more areas to check before I give up and make arrangements to have the car transported to a dealer.

I would take it back to the Chevy dealer where we bought it and where my wife worked in service for nearly 30 years but they lost their franchise, like a lot of others, so now we have to call a GM technician friend who relocated to another Chevy dealer about 40 miles away. He is nice enough to pick up our cars and bring them back and leave us a loaner in the meantime. We just hate to take advantage of him so I try to fix what I can myself. This is also why we kept this one when the lease was up instead of buying another new one.

Tom

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
TomB,
Has your concern been resolved? I would have to recommend taking the vehicle in if you are unable to find resolution. Keep me posted and feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tricia,

Thanks for your concern. I printed off the bulletin. A few of the places I had already resealed. I am now thinking behind the tail light as the most likely culprit due to the fact that the water gets to the spare tire well without getting any of the carpet areas wet. I just need to get a little time to check it out. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have had the "funk" smell from time to time over the past year with no clue what was causing it in our 2008 Equinox. Finally opened up the back one day and found 3" of water in the spare tire well. For the most part, water only gets in when it is being driven. None of the carpets appear to be wet, only the spare tire well. Found the bulletin tonight and will be going through the various seals on the tailgate this week.

Really not sure what triggered it to be so bad the past few weeks. The "funky" smell has come and gone since we bought it 2.5 years ago and we could never figure out what it was since the smell was never consistent. What really surprises me now is it looks like we have some mold/mildew growing in the spare tire well now. :( Once I "fix" the seals, going to have to bleach the well as best as I can. Not sure how difficult it is to pull the trim panels off, but that may be on the todo list as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lots of silicone under the main tailgate weatherstrip on the passenger side fixed the leak for us. I pulled out all of the rear trim panels and carpeting and sat inside while a neighbor ran a hose up and down the back of the vehicle. He got just above the passenger rear tail light when I saw water trickling in. The water was missing all of the carpeting and coming down the sheetmetal directly into the tire well. It appears that the water was running down the channel on the passenger side and working its way up underneath the weatherstrip into the car. I pulled the weatherstrip and put a bead of silicone around the entire back of the car on top of the body seam and put the weatherstripping back on. Let it sit for a day and then tested again...no leak. It has been 2 months now and no more water in the tire well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
GM Customer Svc said:
TomB,
Has your concern been resolved? I would have to recommend taking the vehicle in if you are unable to find resolution. Keep me posted and feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
I forgot to post a reply to this . My wife took the paper I printed off from here with her to the body shop at the dealer she works at. they said it was a big help (not a GM dealer) They ended up removing the rear bumper cover and found several areas where the seam slealer was cracked. It has been several months since the repair and it is still dry.

Tom

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
TomB said:
I My wife took the paper I printed off from here with her to the body shop at the dealer she works at. they said it was a big help (not a GM dealer)
Tom
Nice to have connections in the right places !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, It's been well over a year since the repair and another hard winter. Still no leaks. Thanks again for the help.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resealed all my seams, coated the metal under all the trim with a spray rubber coating, and lastly used greatstuff to fill the voids in the body under the trim, not a drop of water since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to get the bulletin that identifies where the water leaks in. I just bought a used 2011 GMC Terrain. I would like to work with my son on solving this issue as he drives the car. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts