GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
New after market tail lights can be found for around $75.00 to $80.00 each on ebay, Check Rock Auto and several internet sites. It is a simple job to replace it yourself with two screw drivers and 5 to 10 minutes.

If you are cheap like me, I would remove the existing one, inspect it for cracks, and if not broken, reseal it with clear silicone. These 2 piece headlights and tail light fail quite frequently on all kind of cars and trucks. I usually just reseal the top and sides with clear silicone and depending on the design, drill a very small hole with the smallest drill bit that you own in the bottom at the lowest point to let any accumulated moisture drain out. I probably have repaired 30 of them in the last 15 years. Do not seal the bottom as you want water to escape from there if possible. Some of the newer ones already have a drain hole in them. I have seen a few where the hole was there but not drilled out completely.

Make sure that the light bulb assembly is installed correctly and tight. Some have a foam rubber seal on them. If there is no foam seal or it is missing, a rubber o-ring would fix the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seems like the previous generation Terrain has a relatively common issue with the tailights. I remember when I was originally looking to replace by '06 Explorer we were looking at a '17 Terrain. I really liked it overall but two things kept me from the purchase and one of them was water in one of the taillights. I decided to change direction and give Toyota a try with a '17 Rav4 which I regretted and subsequently corrected.
Question is, is it a design issue of the taillight housing or is it a supplier manufacturing issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually both. They are 2 piece design and glued together. It is not a solid glue like model airplane glue. It is slightly flexible. We use to heat up headlights in an oven to separate the pieces and then reseal them again with clear silicone. Then I tried to just reseal them without separating them first. It works OK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lou, I have the same problem. I have a 2017 GMC Terrain, and the passenger side tail light collects condensation even when it is not raining. My car is kept in the garage and the only time it is outside is when I am at work. After a short, yet heavy, rain recently, I had a considerable flow of water rush out of the lift gate when opened it. I have contacted the dealership and have an appointment soon. I will let you know what they say.
p.s ignore rude people on this forum who refuse to offer advise and leave snarky comments.
Lisa
Hi I’m having the exact same problem with my 2017 Terrain. Did you ever get it addressed with the dealer? I thought about replacing the taillight but wonder if it would be worth it and not happen again? Appreciate your feedback.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts