GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a recent rain I noticed water leaking through the back panel of the hatch when I opened it up. It had been raining overnight. When I closed the hatch I saw water in the taillight. This was the right (passenger) side.How is this water getting in?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
lou-in-usa said:
During a recent rain I noticed water leaking through the back panel of the hatch when I opened it up. It had been raining overnight. When I closed the hatch I saw water in the taillight. This was the right (passenger) side.How is this water getting in?
That, would be a question to ask your dealer...
Variables that we know...It was rainning, The vehicle was in the rain.water runs down over the taillight...other than that, how would anyone on here know how the water got into your taillight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fourmoremarine said:
That, would be a question to ask your dealer...
Variables that we know...It was rainning, The vehicle was in the rain.water runs down over the taillight...other than that, how would anyone on here know how the water got into your taillight.
Well Typically,
People in forums have a variety of experiences with similar vehicles and may have had a similar problem and know the solution.
If the answer is always to see the dealer, then why are most people here?
Or are you trying to tell me this is not the right place to address issues with Exterior & Body components?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
lou-in-usa said:
Well Typically,
People in forums have a variety of experiences with similar vehicles and may have had a similar problem and know the solution.
Or are you trying to tell me this is not the right place to address issues with Exterior & Body components?
Appears as though you don't want to share your experience or your swimming in your vehicle, So, what did the dealer tell you???

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
my question would be..what vehicle and what year..

also I would say that I havent heard this issue, so I dont think its a common issue..

I have heard of other vehicles with issues with improperly installed gaskets on the taillight..

·
Registered
949 Posts
If you have the first generation Equinox, then I would say that you should check your spare tire well...do you have water in it? Is water leaking inside the vehicle?

If the above is all true, then search this form for "water spare tire"...you'll find a few threads. The one about a 2006 Equinox has a service bulletin posted in it with diagrams of where to check for leaks. There are 5 or 6 places to check, if I remember correctly. There is also another thread about a 2010 vehicle, but it didn't really end well for him.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Appears as though you don't want to share your experience or your swimming in your vehicle, So, what did the dealer tell you???
This post, was in response to OP who asked for help but never came back with what has happened...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
lou-in-usa said:
Has your concern been resolved? Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me directly if you have further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 13 Terrain Denali has considerable water condensation in both the main tail light housings as well as passenger outside housing. Dealer replaced one housing, has ordered other two. The new one is already getting condensation again. The dealer is clueless, asked me if I am parking the back end into a lake (they were joking) It rains alot here, but I have never had another vehicle do this. No other factors that can be attributed at this time.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
ronw said:
My 13 Terrain Denali has considerable water condensation in both the main tail light housings as well as passenger outside housing. Dealer replaced one housing, has ordered other two. The new one is already getting condensation again. The dealer is clueless, asked me if I am parking the back end into a lake (they were joking) It rains alot here, but I have never had another vehicle do this. No other factors that can be attributed at this time.
Hi ronw,

Sorry that you have experienced water condensation in your Terrain. I'm glad that your dealership has been diligently working to resolve this issue for you. If you would like for us to document this issue within our system please feel free to contact us by private message. If there's anything we can do to assist with this situation let us know.

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
181 Posts
My '12 had the left backup lamp assembly on the gate fill up with water. The lamp body-to-lense glue job was bad on one end. They replaced the light assembly-problem solved. The tailgate is a flow thru design, when water gets in, it will drain out the bottom of the gate thru the small holes. Normal. They could check your lamps using VERY low pressure air, it can be felt blowing out at the leak point. Perhaps the first lamp was not replaced, only dried out and reinstalled. That would explain the rapid refill of moisture? :cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well Typically,
Lou, I have the same problem. I have a 2017 GMC Terrain, and the passenger side tail light collects condensation even when it is not raining. My car is kept in the garage and the only time it is outside is when I am at work. After a short, yet heavy, rain recently, I had a considerable flow of water rush out of the lift gate when opened it. I have contacted the dealership and have an appointment soon. I will let you know what they say.
p.s ignore rude people on this forum who refuse to offer advise and leave snarky comments.
Lisa

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am having the same problem as well on my 2011 GMC Terrian. I tried sending a personal message to the Chevrolet Service Guru on this forum but their inbox is full. My local Chevrolet dealership said there was nothing they could do about a leak in the taillight. Is there a phone number for GM that I can call who is familiar with this issue and how to resolve it?

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
p.s ignore rude people on this forum who refuse to offer advise and leave snarky comments.
Lisa
Lisa - Welcome to the Forum. :surprise:

Yes - you are welcome to ignore me, but i think that your comment should have been directed to a post by a GM Customer (dis)Service Rep. Most of the Forum members are very knowledgeable, and tend to go out of their way to help others.

Give it a try ... it may help you some day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unhappy Terrain Owner

I have a 2015 GMC Terrain and in Feb 2016 I had the driver tail light assembly fill with water. After my vehicle was at the dealership for two weeks, they decided to replace the assembly. Thankfully they provided a loaner vehicle during this time because my vehicle had 23,000 miles on it and was under warranty. Fast forward to now and the passenger tail light is filling with water. When you raise the tailgate/hatch the water runs out (as it did before). Of course now I am not under warranty and am awaiting a return call from the dealership on an estimate to replace/repair. I feel like this is a random issue and should not be occurring. I thought it was a fluke with the first one, but now the other is filling with water, too. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I know a lot of things go wrong with a vehicle, but to have both tail lights fill with water is bizarre.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi ronw,

Sorry that you have experienced water condensation in your Terrain. I'm glad that your dealership has been diligently working to resolve this issue for you. If you would like for us to document this issue within our system please feel free to contact us by private message. If there's anything we can do to assist with this situation let us know.

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care
Is this member still active? Can you help me aswell?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my 2011 GMC Terrain. I came here also looking for some information. If it's happened to more than his vehicle, it sounds like it could be an issue with the Terrains. I'm going to check for a recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having this issue also.. I have a 2012 gmc terrain with no sunroof. The dealer did a water test and they claimed that the leak is coming from the rear tail light assembly. They want around $800 to replace both. That seem outrageously high just for 2 tail lights.... not to mention they want to charge $3k+ to replace 2 modules because of condensation from this leak. The car is not worth $5k....

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
I'm having this issue also.. I have a 2012 gmc terrain with no sunroof. The dealer did a water test and they claimed that the leak is coming from the rear tail light assembly. They want around $800 to replace both. That seem outrageously high just for 2 tail lights.... not to mention they want to charge $3k+ to replace 2 modules because of condensation from this leak. The car is not worth $5k....

The taillights are probably available on Ebay, and it is not all that difficult to replace. Are there items that do not work, and point to a need for new modules, or is the dealer trying to pad their bottom line ?

But yes, leaking taillights could very well be the source of your water. Do a search on the forum to find out more info on your leak.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts