GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

Took over my late father-in-laws 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and desire to repair it but need direction on where to start. Seems water seeped in from the sunroof and entered the car which in turn damaged some electrical components. TPMS light is always on, rear windows dont work and from time to time car shows low coolant level when its fine. Another issue is the engine oil level shows incorrect percentage. I took the care to a mechanic who took apart the rear seats and said there is water damage and that the BCM needs to be changed. My question is this...Is this a job I can do? if so can anyone lead me in the right direction because it would be amazing if I could do the job myself. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
First thing is to stop further water damage, was the sunroof simply left open or are the drain holes plugged , causing the overflow into headliner ? Without correcting that first nothing will change. Using a garden hose test that the seal still works, if pour a little water in the track area and see if that dains out to the ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing is to stop further water damage, was the sunroof simply left open or are the drain holes plugged , causing the overflow into headliner ? Without correcting that first nothing will change. Using a garden hose test that the seal still works, if pour a little water in the track area and see if that dains out to the ground.
Water came in due to clogged drain holes. Problem has been corrected but damage has already be done.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
If you have the owners manual, you may want to read it. For example, the oil guage is telling you approximately home much life is left on the oil, not quantity left. That can be told by examining the oil dipstick.

Reactions: arcee

·
Registered
537 Posts
wd40 is your best friend spray it on literally everything and take the old bcm out put in a new one should be that easy if you have any troubles it needs to be programmed.
<iframe width="642" height="361" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I cant stress this enough wd40 like a ton of it on the seats everything the ignition everything like the headliner all electical connectors wd40.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Better off with a dedicated electrical contact cleaner that cleans, lubes and has anti corrosion properties. DeOxit is my garage stock for electrical connections.
WD is not the greatest for electrical / electronic stuff and can affect some plastics.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey friends,

Took over my late father-in-laws 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and desire to repair it but need direction on where to start. Seems water seeped in from the sunroof and entered the car which in turn damaged some electrical components. TPMS light is always on, rear windows dont work and from time to time car shows low coolant level when its fine. Another issue is the engine oil level shows incorrect percentage. I took the care to a mechanic who took apart the rear seats and said there is water damage and that the BCM needs to be changed. My question is this...Is this a job I can do? if so can anyone lead me in the right direction because it would be amazing if I could do the job myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Check the sunroof drains. I had this issue in my 2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1. The drain in the passenger side A pillar cracked. The cracking was cause by the flexing of the body. My comprehensive insurance covered the repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts