GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2,000 miles on my 2012 Luxury SRX. Yesterday, I noticed some water running out of the drivers door when it was opened, on the hinge side. I noticed this once before about 2 weeks ago. Is there a drain hole that might be plugged, or maybe one should be added? I'm not near the dealer where the car was purchased, and I'm not due for service yet. Any word on a possible problem? The first time that water ran out it was on the latch side of the drivers' door, and this time it was on the other end. I'd hate to think that water could be building up in the door panel.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2009. is there long term damage I need to worry about like internal rusting, window motor failure, power lock failure? would like to know what I can expect.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Sounds like the drains are plugged up.

There should be at the least a front and rear drain. Look on the bottom and see if you can locate them. Then take a small wire and stick it up and into the opening and work it around. This should open the hole up to drain the water.

I would still visit the dealer to see just why it is clogged up as it should not be clogged by anything unless you had it rust proofed or some a leaf or seed from a tree got in there some how.

Doors are made to pass water as it will get in the top but they are made to drain and breath to remove the moisture.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Question is, is it in the door or that plastic part at the bottom of the door. My driveway is on a down-slant to the garage in the basement level of the house. I have heard water sloshing on occasions when I back out and leave. Could not put my finger on where this water was hiding. I will admit I did a after-market rust-proof. I looked at the the holes and they looked clear. i guess i will have to poke something in to see if the drains are clear. :confused:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
wtavcar said:
Question is, is it in the door or that plastic part at the bottom of the door. My driveway is on a down-slant to the garage in the basement level of the house. I have heard water sloshing on occasions when I back out and leave. Could not put my finger on where this water was hiding. I will admit I did a after-market rust-proof. I looked at the the holes and they looked clear. i guess i will have to poke something in to see if the drains are clear. :confused:
I would have to look but I would expect them in the metal part of the door.

I would say the rust poofing is what is doing it. You may end up having to remove the door panels to clear them properly.

Rust proofing cars today is not needed and often can create more issues like this. But that is besides the point now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The threads on the Terrain forum are interesting. My "water-in-door" problem seems to be similar to the Terrains. Water does not seem to collect after a car wash, only after a rain. When the front doors are opened water will pour (or fast drip) out of the bottom edge, either front or rear, depending on the angle of the car. The doors don't seem to be "holding" water...that is, not making a "sloshing" sound. The holes shouldn't be plugged up, but I'll try "clearing" them with a piece of wire...maybe a coat hanger. I'll continue to let you know what's happening.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My 2012 Equinox holds water in the doors as well, when the doors are open, a bit of water drians out. I don't like it, but just assume it has a poorly designed drainage system.
I have a 2002 Impala, and like the Equinox it's galvanized, it has no body rust after 10 years, and it has some poorly designed pockets that hold water as well, ie: the bottom of the front fenders.
I'm not too worried about the door rusting, but I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I had a car rust proofed bt Ziebart, I had many issues as the spray plugged all the drain holes. I kept hearing the slosh of water in the quarter panels and discobered water collecting in the spare tire well in the trunk. I cleared some of the drain plugs and water flowed out. But the damage was done and the car suffered from "corrosion" in all those hidden panels.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
While it may not apply to a new vehicle I have seen leaves and pine needles plug drains in cars a year and older. You would be amazed at what can get down inside a door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts