GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new Nox should be here soon and the dealer will ask if we want extended warranty.Is anybody buying it,is it worth it,just wondering

·
Registered
297 Posts
nomad06 said:
Our new Nox should be here soon and the dealer will ask if we want extended warranty.Is anybody buying it,is it worth it,just wondering
We're in the same boat and would like to hear some opinions on the matter, too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We try to match full warranty coverage to the length of the payments we will be sigining up for.
When we did a four year lease on a Sonoma we had three years of factory warranty so we got one extra year of GMPP.
When we did a three year lease on a Canyon we didn't bother with any extra warranty.
For the Terrain, we signed a five year finance contract so we added 2 extra years of GMPP to the parts of the vehicle that would have been left out of warranty after the first three years. I don't remember how much it cost but because the powertrain was all going to still be covered under the factory warranty, it didn't seem like all that much money to make sure everything else was covered.
I hate the idea of making a monthly payment on something and still having to fork over extra cash for a repair.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We also wanted enough warranty to cover the finance duration. There's nothing worse than having to pay for repairs while your still making payments.

So we bought an extra year of $0 deductible, full coverage to match the four year finance duration. Pretty expensive though at around $1800.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you REALLY want the extended warranty, check this out.

http://gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

You can get it FAR cheaper through Black Cadillac than your dealer will ever think about offering it to you plus you wont have to pay tax on it unless you live in PA.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We purchased the $0 deductable for 72 months which gives us bumper to bumper for an additional 3 years and if I remember correctly 60K miles. That also added an additional year to the power train warranty. I got the GM employee pricing (I'm not an employee) and the price was $1110.

·
Registered
332 Posts
And speaking of warranty our 2010 Nox (7000 kms) is in for warranty today on factory (36 month) warranty. The rear pass side pwr. window is making some nasty noises. They ordered a new window regulator in from the US to replace it. Will be done in about a week when it arrives.

Warranty is great! ;D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm not thinking of buying any extended warranties... I have the 5 year/160,000km warranty and my financing plan is for 5 years, so I am satisfied with that :).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I guess 5 yrs 160000 kms is pretty good .I will listen to see what they offer and make up my mind

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yea, I mean my powertrain and roadside assistance is covered for the 60 months/160,000km, corrosion perforation is 72 months/160,000km and the basic warranty is 36 months/60,000kms. I would hope that if any minor things go wrong it would happen in the first three years and then after that part of the warranty is up you are still covered for some of the more serious stuff...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Extended warranty is always good if you plan on keeping past the OEM warranty. I have not yet done. Only have 2700 miles and want to see how things will shake out. On other vehicles I had, a 1995 Impala SS, 1999 Firebird and 2004 Envoy I used Black Cadillac for the GM Major Guard. Saved several hundred dollars by not buying from my dealer here in Florida. Allso saved thousands on repairs. Yes I did have many things go bad like tranny, starter, alternator power steering etc. All in all the money spent on the Major Guard was worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at the prices at Black Cadillac.Is that good in Canada too? I wonder if you buy it from them, will I make the Dealer here mad and maybe my service level will go down,just wondering

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, don't know about Canada but it is a GM Major Guard and will be honored by ALL GM dealerships. A link was posted to Black. Give them a call and ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Black warranty will not be honoured in Canada. I checked a few months ago with Black Cadillac and they stated then it's not offered in Canada.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going to the dealer today to do the paperwork. I guess I will find out the warranty costs and see what they have.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We bought the 3 yr/100k for about $2k. I have used extended warranties in the past and I've been about breaking even. Anything is very expensive and with so many electronics on these new cars... and labour, they charge more than my higlhy skilled professional contractors.. :mad:

I'm planning to keep her until... forever!

In Canada only GMPP and FCCC are honoured, anything else is 3rd party and they all suck (ask me how I know about lubrico extended warranty)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went and did the paper work today and ended up not buying extended warranty.They did not ask.Take my chances I guess.I heard about some of those 3rd party warranties,not so good eh

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Extended warranties are always a gamble...first and foremost all are not created equal, and many extended warranty companies base their business model on selling policies while paying for as few repairs as they possibly can. Also, you must keep in mind that to get a return on your investment..you MUST have something that needs repair during the extended warranty period and it MUST cost more than the policy itself. Of course a low cost policy that makes it very difficult/nearly impossible to get payment for repairs puts you in the same boat. For these reasons (and others) I always make sure my monthly payments don't go past the manufacturers warranty...and after that I simply save a portion of what would be my monthly car payment for possible repairs later on..

·
Registered
332 Posts
NoobNox said:
For these reasons (and others) I always make sure my monthly payments don't go past the manufacturers warranty...and after that I simply save a portion of what would be my monthly car payment for possible repairs later on..
That's very sound advice!

The only problem for most people is that the cost of new vehicles is very high and the warranty is normally only three years. Most people cannot make the required payments on a $30K+ vehicle in order to pay it off before the warranty expires.

I would think that the next best thing if possible would be to purchase an extended warranty to cover the duration of the payment period. That way you wouldn't have to deal with repair bills while your still paying for the vehicle.

Since here in Canada we only have the option of the GM extended warranty or those other, "GASP!" less desirable third party warranties, we purchased a year of GM extended, $0 deductible warranty for our Nox to cover the four years of payments.

This may or may not be the best option for everyone and if we never have to use it, it will be money spent on peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts