GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Looking for info on warranty and having items installed on the terrain.

If I were to get the most basic terrain (for cost purposes) then purchased my own Nav system eg. JVC NT3HD and backup cam and have it installed somewhere ASE certified Will my warranty be voided? Or am I stuck with over priced luxuries.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't think installing aftermarket parts such as a nav/radio will void the warranty in and of itself, but you may have warranty issues if later on something goes wrong with the interior electronics, or you try to have something like a dash rattle/squeak fixed by the dealer. In any case, I'm pretty sure that for warranty work to be denied GM would have to prove that it was related to aftermarket work done. if that wasn't the case then it would only take one do-it-yourself driveway oil change to void the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would have to agree with the previous post. For more specific information about how this could affect your warranty, I would recommend contacting your local dealership. They should be able to assist you further. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
978 Posts
Points to take into consideration:

First the warnings in the Owner Manual:

From Section 10-3

Accessories and
Modifications
Adding non‐dealer accessories to
the vehicle can affect vehicle
performance and safety, including
such things as airbags, braking,
stability, ride and handling,
emissions systems, aerodynamics,
durability, and electronic systems
like antilock brakes, traction control,
and stability control. Some of these
accessories could even cause
malfunction or damage not covered
by the vehicle warranty.
Damage to vehicle components
resulting from the installation or use
of non‐GM certified parts, including
control module modifications, is not
covered under the terms of the
vehicle warranty and may affect
remaining warranty coverage for
affected parts [/color]

Not withstanding the aforementioned quote...if you live in the US there is the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act whose many provisions include in "laymans terms":

A Vehicle Manufacturer cannot void a portion of or the complete warranty by the presence and/or installation of aftermarket parts.

Does not matter if they are maintenance related (oil/filter/spark plugs/air filter etc) or accessory related (gps/ham radio/subwoofer/rims/tires etc).

However...
If the Manufacturer can show that the installation of said part caused the failure of an otherwise covered component...
or...
If the aftermarket part failed and resulted in the failure of an otherwise covered part...
a warranty repair may be excluded from coverage

Just 3 examples cause there are so many:

John Doe buys a set of aftermarket rims and tires that are larger, heavier and have a different offset and backspace than recommended by the Manufacturer. He has them professionally installed and the work is done properly. John goes into the dealer because his wheel bearings are noisey and do indeed need to be replaced. The claim is properly denied based on the rim/tire combination.

Jane Doe installs a back-up camera herself. She buys it off Ebay and it comes with everything she needs including instructions for the install in her car. She spends the better part of the day doing the install and follows the instructions to the letter. The install goes well and it's working properly and as designed. A couple weeks later there is a "melt down" of one of her fuse panels and it happens to be the one she attached the camera wiring to. However the repair required has nothing to do with and it absolutely not related to her camera installation. The car is within the time and milage of coverage for the repair and it is repaired under the coverage at no cost to her.

John Doe's brother buys an aftermarket GPS. He does the install and hooks the power lead to the back side of a "power port". Everything is fine as the circuit draw is within limits.
He then decides he is going to run another accessory using the same power port he wired the GPS to. He knows ahead of time he will need a 20Amp fuse instead of the OEM 10Amp fuse to handle the added draw. He installs the 20Amp fuse and plugs in the "other accessory". The wiring shorts out before the larger fuse blows. Result...not covered.

For more information on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act...google is your friend

Just make sure the installation is done correctly and takes into account any warnings from the Manufacturer and you should be just fine

·
Registered
977 Posts
I remember going to a local Chevy dealer in the 80's. I saw the service writer scooping what looked like grease out of an oil filter. He said someone went 12,000 miles on a Cavlier without changing the oil. The engine was fried. He had to mail a sample to GM as the person escalated to corporate. She was requesting that this should be covered under warranty,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The dealer seemed like they just wanted to secure a sale and was saying anything to ensure that. I like coming here because I know as real owners and overall educated people in the topic I will get the truth.

I fell in love with this car first (over the ford 2011 escape) but am getting a little nervous over the overwhelming reports of poor fuel mileage, guess I am just looking for a reason not to get it/ or to confirm this is the vehicle for me.

I will go to another dealer and ask the same questions I did in the smaller dealership to see if their answers change.

Thanks once again all. btw no self oil changes for me till the warranty runs out. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would be a little skeptical of some of the fuel mileage reports on here, you really need to drive gently (especially with an SUV) if you are going to get decent mileage. My 2011 V6 FWD averages about 23 MPG in mixed driving, which is exactly the same as my company car ('08 Taurus V6). I am very happy with the vehicle.

As for Nav, if that is something you want, suck up and get the factory system. Nothing aftermarket will compete from a performance, resale and functional standpoint.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Another example.
Say you install something..
Some places take shortcuts- ans install say wiring along trim- simply pushing in behind trim pieces.
Say above the door- near the ceiling area...

Well on many cars---these areas now have Large airbags that protect the 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd row occupants...

imagine what the neat speaker wires you installed for an amp- or whatever you installed can do to the proper deployment of the airbag.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
melongstrike said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The dealer seemed like they just wanted to secure a sale and was saying anything to ensure that. I like coming here because I know as real owners and overall educated people in the topic I will get the truth.

I fell in love with this car first (over the ford 2011 escape) but am getting a little nervous over the overwhelming reports of poor fuel mileage, guess I am just looking for a reason not to get it/ or to confirm this is the vehicle for me.

I will go to another dealer and ask the same questions I did in the smaller dealership to see if their answers change.

Thanks once again all. btw no self oil changes for me till the warranty runs out. :)
Go hang out for a while at a forum dedicated to the Ford Escape (or just about anything else you might consider) and you'll be convinced that they're all rubbish. ;)

Also, doing your own oil changes won't void the warranty.....and this engine (2.4 I4) is the easiest DIY oil change I've done since a 66 Mustang 289 I had in high school.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts