GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys- I recently purchased a 2019 Terrain SLE, the base model. The sound system is pretty bland. I got a terrific buy, but I am pretty dissatisfied with the sound system. I had a base model 2011, I like the sound in that vehicle better.
So, I want to upgrade things, but that is tougher than it used to be due to the Infotainment system. Would replacing the speakers at a car audio shop be a good choice? Are dealers upgrading audio systems? I don’t mind spending a few hundred bucks, I am not skilled enough to do it myself. Just wondering what options are out there to improve this.
Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you don't want to do the work yourself I don't see why an audio shop couldn't do it for you.My only concern with audio shops is that they are very quick to cut into your stock wiring which completely voids your warranty.Also,a lot of shops out there don't know about the pitfalls of ANC and when your new audio system has issues they don't know how to remedy it.

I've sold many ANC microphone bypass harnesses to people who get their audio done at a shop where they didn't know about the ANC nor what to do about the issues it was causing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't want to do the work yourself I don't see why an audio shop couldn't do it for you.My only concern with audio shops is that they are very quick to cut into your stock wiring which completely voids your warranty.Also,a lot of shops out there don't know about the pitfalls of ANC and when your new audio system has issues they don't know how to remedy it.

I've sold many ANC microphone bypass harnesses to people who get their audio done at a shop where they didn't know about the ANC nor what to do about the issues it was causing.

That’s good info, thanks very much!

·
Registered
2018 GMC Terrain
43 Posts
I’d think you’ll want to upgrade the power to the speakers as well, which would require an amp. Just putting in more expensive speakers won’t do a whole lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

Just got me an SLE 2019 as well and first thing I noticed was the sound of the stereo. My Canyon SLE has better sound than the terrain. My canyon even had the feature that you can adjust the volume of the iPhone to make the sound louder but on the terrain it doesn’t. So I thought of maybe replacing the speakers as well.

Hopping to get more info in this thread.

Thanks.

Erwin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well if you guys are willing to do it yourself I make integration harnesses for Terrains and Equinox's from 2008 to 2020 whether it is Non-Bose,Bose or Pioneer(all system types within those categories as well).Whether you just want to add a subwoofer amplifier or amplifiers for all the door speakers and sub,etc.Whatever you want to do I can build an accommodating harness that will prevent you from having to hunt down wire functions or even cut into your stock wiring.

And I will agree that just adding speakers without any amplifiers is a BIG waste of time and money.You will see very little,if any improvement.In fact,there's a good chance you'll like the way the factory speakers sound over your replacements.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well if you guys are willing to do it yourself I make integration harnesses for Terrains and Equinox's from 2008 to 2020 whether it is Non-Bose,Bose or Pioneer(all system types within those categories as well).Whether you just want to add a subwoofer amplifier or amplifiers for all the door speakers and sub,etc.Whatever you want to do I can build an accommodating harness that will prevent you from having to hunt down wire functions or even cut into your stock wiring.

And I will agree that just adding speakers without any amplifiers is a BIG waste of time and money.You will see very little,if any improvement.In fact,there's a good chance you'll like the way the factory speakers sound over your replacements.
I'm a customer of John's, his harness is the best solution I've found. Even if you don't do the work yourself, consider getting the harness built for your install. Most shops will just cut in a line out converter making it much harder to reverse should you want to remove the amp when you get rid of the car. Shops have no idea his harness is available, they will just look for aftermarket stereo wire harnesses, which sadly don't really exist for these cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not going to do this myself, not skilled in that area. Really want to take this to somebody to upgrade the audio, I am surprised it is this bad. Will the dealership do work like this? Can a good audio shop do it? I don’t want to lose the functionality of the infotainment system. I had the base 2011, it’s audio was far superior to this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am not going to do this myself, not skilled in that area. Really want to take this to somebody to upgrade the audio, I am surprised it is this bad. Will the dealership do work like this? Can a good audio shop do it? I don’t want to lose the functionality of the infotainment system. I had the base 2011, it’s audio was far superior to this.
As I mentioned above,if the vehicles stock wiring is cut into in any way then the warranty is completely voided and a lot of audio shops out there could care less.So if you take it to an audio shop you'd better make certain with them that they're going to use a harness of some type for the integration.

I've never heard of dealerships doing aftermarket audio but that doesn't mean they don't.You could call and ask I guess.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
As I mentioned above,if the vehicles stock wiring is cut into in any way then the warranty is completely voided and a lot of audio shops out there could care less.

I believe that cutting the stereo wiring will void the warranty on the stereo, but not the whole warranty. Unless, they are able to prove that cutting the stereo wiring caused a wheel bearing to go bad, for example.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As I mentioned above,if the vehicles stock wiring is cut into in any way then the warranty is completely voided and a lot of audio shops out there could care less.

I believe that cutting the stereo wiring will void the warranty on the stereo, but not the whole warranty. Unless, they are able to prove that cutting the stereo wiring caused a wheel bearing to go bad, for example.
So I just researched it some and it seems if you cut into the wiring you void the vehicles electrical warranty and possibly not the drivetrain so to speak.Still,even if that is true that's a big risk to take IMO.

I will admit that my knowledge about the voided warranty was based on a video I watched months ago and wasn't properly researched afterward.I just took the guys word in the video.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
So I just researched it some and it seems if you cut into the wiring you void the vehicles electrical warranty and possibly not the drivetrain so to speak.Still,even if that is true that's a big risk to take IMO.

I don't believe that it will void the total electrical warranty. I stand by my earlier statement.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain SLT 2.0l
12 Posts

How can I get in touch with you to discuss want I want to change on 19 Terrain and getting one of your harnesses to ease the process?

·
Registered
12 Posts

I would like to know what I would need to amp all 4 speakers in the doors and how would I do that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would like to know what I would need to amp all 4 speakers in the doors and how would I do that?
Hi Greg, I am hijacking this thread for input... I just bought a '20 Terrain SLT, thinking the premium Bose audio was standard. It didn't take long to figure out it is not. Do you know if you buy the OEM ACDelco Bose amplifier (part # 84813310), if it will just install easily into the infotainment console? I haven't taken anything apart yet to look, but I was thinking that the space should be there and easily installed, since it is an upgrade option by GMC for the Terrain. I may be clueless as well. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey DocNen,

I have no clue if that would work. Theoretically you think it would. Maybe talk to a dealer about that and they should be able to answer that question.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts