GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to your board to ask a question. ;D
I love the look of the Terrain and we are tempted to buy one. but we are concerned about rearview visility and backing up. I know there is a backup camera, but it feels awkward to me. Also, I was hoping it would have the sideview mirror alert, but it does not. It just seems as though the Terrain has poor visibility and I wondered if any of you feel the same. Will I get used to using mirrors to back up etc.? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My last car was an Aztek, the Terrain has the same rearward vision as that, so I have gotten use to looking over my shoulder and the outside mirrors when i back up. I also can't seem to judge by looking at the backup camera. maybe someday.
Out on the road I don't have a problem changing lanes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
mgs said:
New to your board to ask a question. ;D
I love the look of the Terrain and we are tempted to buy one. but we are concerned about rearview visility and backing up. I know there is a backup camera, but it feels awkward to me. Also, I was hoping it would have the sideview mirror alert, but it does not. It just seems as though the Terrain has poor visibility and I wondered if any of you feel the same. Will I get used to using mirrors to back up etc.? Thanks.
You can also get ultrasonic backup assistance to help with backing up. Came with the chrome package in Canada.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You get used to the camera. My wife didnt like using it at first but then I made her practice with it and now its a great tool to use when backing up.

With that said, the vehicle is almost like EVERY other single CUV out there. Straight back rearward visibility is comprimised due to the rear lift gate and height of the vehicles. If you are not used to the CUV stance it will take some time getting used to the vehicle. Just practice and you will get it. :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Roesterman said:
You can also get ultrasonic backup assistance to help with backing up. Came with the chrome package in Canada.
There is no "chrome package" on the Terrain. The only way to get ultrasonic rear park assist is to get the top of the line SLT-2. I wish the option was a la carte but oh well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Terrain said:
There is no "chrome package" on the Terrain. The only way to get ultrasonic rear park assist is to get the top of the line SLT-2. I wish the option was a la carte but oh well.
Sorry, I was talking about my Nox(different packages)...but ultrasonic rear parking assistance is available on Terrain too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It really doesn't take that long to get used to the vehicle. My very first impression while test driving an Equinox was that the "A" posts were very large. Backing up isn't a problem, be careful; use your mirrors, backup camera if available and a quick look both ways then proceed with caution. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I went from a Hummer H3 to the Terrain, so I am used to doing a lot of guess work when backing up. The Terrain is far superior for rear visability. Easy fix is to pick up a pair of convex mirrors and add them to the side mirrors. I do this on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
446 Posts
After owning other car with a backup camera for almost 2 years, then adding our 'Nox to the mix with a camera also I can say that I still use eyesight for backing up. I learned how to backup via mirrors while doing some truck driving quite a few years back for my grandfather. Still prefer that method. However, the camera does help as a "second opinion" in my backing. It helps in some situations, but not all. I only look at the camera when I need another viewpoint for where I think my position is. In the 2 year old vehicle, I love the camera as it helps me with trailer hitch backing. But like before, I use eyesight as primary and camera as secondary for backing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the backup camera, but you almost have to be a little careful not to over-use it (i.e. not fixating on just the camera view). If you use it in combination with other views, it's great. It's particularly good at showing you how much room is behind you, because without it, you'd be pulling a 3 point turn to get out of a parking spot. With the camera, you can pretty much see to the inch how close you are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts