GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I sit in the driver's seat of my new 2012 SRX...I adjust the seat, steering wheel, and pedals for my maximum comfort. I am 6' tall and weigh 230 lbs. I am comfortable but the seating position seems kinda low. The side of the vehicle seems higher than my previous SUV. I couldnt open the window and rest my arm on top of the door. Does anyone else notice this? But the bigger problem for me is...I cannot see the hood of the vehicle. It makes driving a bit uncomfortable since I am used to seeing the hood of the vehicle. I feel like I am driving kinda blind. Even if I move the seat to its highest position, I still cant see much of the vehicle hood. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a problem for anyone? Is it just something I have to get used to? Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yeah, part of that is by design (high beltline, small windows) for purely styling purposes. The hood isn't really an issue for me (I've gotten used to it) but the overly thick a-pillars still get on my nerves occasionally. I know that the days of slim a-pillars are over due to curtain airbags and tougher rollover strength requirements, but it seems they could have made them a little smaller regardless..

·
Registered
89 Posts
you will get used to it. the only time I really notice the high windows is when I am at a drive thru.
the mirrors need to be adjusted out so you can see your blind spots, and then you use your rear view mirror more.
I have the Nav package with the big rear view camera, it really helps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Window sill is high in my Terrain too, sucks cause that's where my elbow goes... and the door ledge feels too low.

·
Registered
949 Posts
OH YEA - I didn't notice the high windows until I pulled up to Sonic and tried to lean out the window to push the button. Bugs me every time, lol, but it's definitely something I can live with. Probably just means I shouldn't be such a fatty and I should eat more meals at home.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I noticed early on in my '11 SRX the thick pillars. I was at first a little bothered because it seemed I was going around left bends in the road blind. Unless I craned my neck forward. My natural motion now is to look out the front of the driver side window to navigate a left bend. That way I know if I can "cut the corner" a little if nothing is coming or slow down and hug the shoulder if a crazy driver is coming. I've never really noticed the "not seeing the hood" issue. I'll have to check that. It reminds me, though, that before I bought the SRX I read a consumer test drive report on it. One of the dings the reviewer gave it was this visibility issue. I knew exactly what he was talking about as soon as I started driving it. But for me it was easy to get past it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wifes' biggest complaint with our previous car ('08 Enclave) and with the SRX is both the "A" pillars and the thickness of the divider between the front and rear doors...she just can't see around them. Yes, she can't see the front of the hood, either. Neither of these bother me...I've just gotten used to them. While the SRX is smaler than the "E", I find it a definate advantage here in N.Y.C....easier to get into some parking spaces.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
KCorey said:
While the SRX is smaler than the "E", I find it a definate advantage here in N.Y.C....easier to get into some parking spaces.
I think the SRX is shorter than the E by about 3 inches. I think it just appears to be smaller - optical illusion !

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to Edmunds' specs, the Enclave is 201.8" and the SRX is 190.3". Here in Brooklyn, NY, 11 1/2" is a whole lot, especially when you're looking for a parking space.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
KCorey said:
According to Edmunds' specs, the Enclave is 201.8" and the SRX is 190.3". Here in Brooklyn, NY, 11 1/2" is a whole lot, especially when you're looking for a parking space.
Sorry - I had the wrong "E" - I thought E=Equinox !

My bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts