GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

We have a 2007 Equinox that we purchased new. My wife drives it most of the time. I was driving it the other day and when I stepped on the brakes, the steering wheel shimmied back and forth about 2 inches in both directions.
The vehicle still tracked straight, but the vibration was significant. It only happens while braking and the speed is 30 mph. There is no vibration at all above or below 30 mph, but once you hit that magic 30...bam!

I did a search, but could not find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
cr211 said:
Hi all:

We have a 2007 Equinox that we purchased new. My wife drives it most of the time. I was driving it the other day and when I stepped on the brakes, the steering wheel shimmied back and forth about 2 inches in both directions.
The vehicle still tracked straight, but the vibration was significant. It only happens while braking and the speed is 30 mph. There is no vibration at all above or below 30 mph, but once you hit that magic 30...bam!

Thanks for the help.
More than likely, your front rotor (or both rotors) is warped. With the price of rotors, better to replace than get them "turned" (i.e. wobble removed). Not a difficult procedure, nor very expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't even consider that the rotors may be warped.
I agree that it is better to replace the rotors than have them turned. When I was doing a brake job on my Silverado, it was only about $25 more to get new rotors than it was to have the originals turned.

It also looks like I have to have a discussion with Mrs. Heavy Foot ;D

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
cr211 said:
Thanks for the reply.

It also looks like I have to have a discussion with Mrs. Heavy Foot ;D

Thanks again.
You may want to leave Mrs. Heavy Foot alone. Often, they can get warped because the lug nuts were not all torqued to the same amount. It could either be your fault, or the garage that you deal with. Often, it is not an operator error !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops! It couldn't really be my fault...could it? :-[

I'll be sure to use my torque wrench from now on when I rotate the tires.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
cr211 said:
Oops! It couldn't really be my fault...could it? :-[

I'll be sure to use my torque wrench from now on when I rotate the tires.

Thanks for the help.
Hold on... I said "could" be your fault !

We certainly wouldn't want Mrs. Heavy Foot to to get the impression that you "could" have done anything wrong !

:cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL...thanks.

I got new rotors and pads today. I'll put them on tonight when she gets home from work.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
cr211 said:
LOL...thanks.

I got new rotors and pads today. I'll put them on tonight when she gets home from work.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again.
Great - No offense to any mechanics here, but I hate to pay a mechanic for something that I can do myself. I have a lot of confidence in my mechanical ability. Not so true of many of the mechanics that I have met.

Report back the progress/results.

Rit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also prefer to do as much as I can myself. I have had some bad luck with mechanics in the past too.

I replaced the rotors and installed new pads and all is well :thumb:

The vibration is gone.

I was sure to use my torque wrench on the lug nuts this time.

Thank you very much for all your help.

By the way...the little screw that secures the rotor to the hub is a great idea. I have never seen that before.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
cr211 said:
By the way...the little screw that secures the rotor to the hub is a great idea. I have never seen that before.
Yes - very handy, but I would rather seem them use an internal torx screw. Often the screw gets rusted in, and I am always afraid I will strip it, To me, that is the hardest part of removing the rotor !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine has a #15 torx screw holding the rotor in place. I put a dab of anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
RIT333 said:
Great - No offense to any mechanics here, but I hate to pay a mechanic for something that I can do myself. I have a lot of confidence in my mechanical ability. Not so true of many of the mechanics that I have met.
I wish I had the mechanical know-how to get a lot of the "common" stuff taken care of myself. Until I hit 36,000 - I have to rely on the dealerships and hope they do a good job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully the dealerships in your area have good mechanics. A lot of them do, some of the do not.

With some basic tools and lot of good information, you will be surprised on what you can do.
Forums like this are great places to learn how to common repairs and maintenance.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
TerrainLem said:
I wish I had the mechanical know-how to get a lot of the "common" stuff taken care of myself. Until I hit 36,000 - I have to rely on the dealerships and hope they do a good job.
Mechanical ability is learned by reading and trying - and sometimes failing, but then succeeding. It is not hereditary ! It helps to work on the repairs with someone that can teach you the tricks. If you lived near Schenectady NY, I would help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in CT and I have a 68 Camaro and a 72 Chevelle that I am working on.
Come on over. I'll supply all the pizza and beer you can handle ;D

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Whoa - now you're talkin'. Nice cars. What engines ?

Where in CT ? I was just in Salisbury CT last weekend - actually Mount Riga, and went to Lime Rock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
RIT333 said:
Mechanical ability is learned by reading and trying - and sometimes failing, but then succeeding. It is not hereditary ! It helps to work on the repairs with someone that can teach you the tricks. If you lived near Schenectady NY, I would help you out.
hahah! DEAL! If I ever make my way over there I'll be sure to stop by for a few lessons! :D :thumb:

·
Registered
341 Posts
cr211 said:
I'm in CT and I have a 68 Camaro and a 72 Chevelle that I am working on.
Come on over. I'll supply all the pizza and beer you can handle ;D
guess that settles it... party at CR's house! :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Chevelle has a 350 that I just put a little work into. I should have the car on the road in a week or so.

As far as the Camaro...it is in about 1,000 pieces. I have a Blueprint 355 crate engine that I dropped in last winter. I still have some body work to finish up. Once that is done, the rest of the project should, hopefully, move along a lot quicker.

I am in Trumbull, CT. If you guys are ever in the area, you are more than welcome to come by. My offer of beer and pizza still stands :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
cr211 said:
Hi all:

Thanks for the help.
My 'nox has the same problem at 62K miles with original rotor. Looks like it's the warped rotor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts