GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased a 2018 Chevy Equinox Premiere (Cajun Red with two tone interior, grey and black). Really enjoying it . . . first Equinox.

We have noticed in the sideview mirrors there is a reflection of the chrome around the vents inside.

Anyone notice this, any suggestions on something to do to alleviate that issue?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you have your mirrors turned in too far.
I have my mirrors turned out to where I barely see my door handles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reflection is the vents inside the vehicle. I can take my hand and cover the vent and the reflection disappears.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The reflection is the vents inside the vehicle. I can take my hand and cover the vent and the reflection disappears.

That's why I thought you may have the mirrors turned in too far.
I went out and sat in mine and can not see any reflections of the inside.
I'll check again the next time I drive it.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
958 Posts
Congratulations on your Equinox. We thoroughly enjoy ours!

Like Colt, I have my mirrors turned out to eliminate the blind spot, and I don't see any reflection of the inside of the car in the mirror itself.
Just went and sat in the car; I see a reflection of the dash bezels on the window glass itself. Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

·
Registered
976 Posts

Today in my driver side mirror I could see a very faint reflection of the top part of the metal vent trim.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I see the exact same reflection in the window... has nothing to do with the mirror on the outside. I traded a 2012 Acadia in on the Equinox, and it was 10 times worse! I also know that in '12, GMC offered a dealer installed set of replacement pieces that were not chrome to alleviate the reflections. I have not looked or checked to see if we have that same option, but it would certainly be nice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Update on the chrome reflections...
Took my Equinox in for it's first oil change this morning and asked the service manager if there were any replacements for the chrome pieces... He said no.
I might look into vinyl wrap type material that a person could put over those. Maybe fake carbon fiber pattern or something like that :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
GMC offered a dealer installed set of replacement pieces that were not chrome to alleviate the reflections. !

Mine is not chrome like the door handles. Maybe that's why I can barely see a reflection.
Mine is more of a dull brushed metal look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The chrome drives my wife batty as she hates glare.

We covered all the chrome with matte black tape. I also bought the optional Black side mirror tops and swapped out the chrome ones.

Much better now.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Because it due to reflection in the window...may be tinting the window might help in reducing light that falls on the vent chrome. But that might be illegal in some states.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reflection in side mirrors

Just purchased a 2019 equinox and have noticed the reflection in side mirrors also. We have an appointment to have it looked at. Has anyone received a solution to the problem yet!!

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 equinox and have noticed the reflection in side mirrors also. We have an appointment to have it looked at. Has anyone received a solution to the problem yet!!

I found that the best thing to fix it is - Ignore it and you'll get used to it. Just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wish I hadn't read this thread: Now every time I look in the mirror I'll be looking for the reflection of the vent instead of what's behind me. :sad:
Seriously though, I haven't noticed this, as I'm concentrating on whatever is a threat behind me. :smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chrome glare on side mirrors

I just bought a 2020 Equinox and I have the same issue with seeing the chrome around the vents on the side mirrors. It is worse on overcast days. When I roll the window down or put my hands over the vent, the lines go away. It is very distracting to see the lines in the side mirrors as it can be a safety hazard. Not sure how to fix the problem. When I move the mirror farther out, it doesn't fix the problem for me, it just moves the lines on the mirror. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Equinox and I have the same issue with seeing the chrome around the vents on the side mirrors. It is worse on overcast days. When I roll the window down or put my hands over the vent, the lines go away. It is very distracting to see the lines in the side mirrors as it can be a safety hazard. Not sure how to fix the problem. When I move the mirror farther out, it doesn't fix the problem for me, it just moves the lines on the mirror. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
No fix other than to black out the trim somehow.

Over time I've conditioned my eyes/brain to focus on the image of the object in the mirror that's behind or beside me, and ignore everything else.

Like in my post above; I didn't really notice the reflection until I read about it in this thread. After I read about it, is was all I could see in the mirror for awhile.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This issue is not unique to the Nox. I would guess most cars with chrome interior trim close to the door glass will have this issue. My previous two vehicles had it in varying degrees (explorer/Rav4) with the the RAV being worse than the Nox. I believe it actually gets worse with tint, at least that is my perception when I think back before I tinted the windows. I do not find it distracting however. Like others posted, look past/ignore the reflection.
The Explorer was worse since the exposed chrome ring around the instrument cluster reflected on the windshield. I got over that, I can get over anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts