GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2011 Equinox Monday......love it. I do have one concern. Has anyone had problems with the MPG calculator in the vehicle info center. Mine is constantly drifting up and down, even when not moving. I'm sure the one on my last Equinox (2008) did not do this. It has been reading my MPG as very low compared to what I even got on my 2008 so I am wondering if it is not working properly. Otherwise, I am in love. It's Twilight Blue metallic and I haven't seen any others of that color around this area. Thanks in advance for all input and help. Kate

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
ambrscot said:
Has anyone had problems with the MPG calculator in the vehicle info center. Mine is constantly drifting up and down, even when not moving.
Kate
My 2010 Equinox MPG readout has never changed when the car is stopped. It will change when moving, but that is understandable.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you have it on "Average miles per gallon" it will almost never change. If you put it on "Instantant miles per gallon" it will change constantly depending on how you drive.

But it shouldn't change while you're standing still.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm going to take the other side here...

The car is new (less than a week).

When one resets the Average MPG it is going to flucuate considerably as new data is collected and and averaged.

The Average will also drop when your engine is running at a stop light (as an example)...because you are actually getting "0" MPG while stopped.

However as the miles accumulate the flucuations will diminish due to the larger amount of data being averaged and at some point there would be little to no change.

The OP's NOX being new does not have a large amount of data collected and I would expect to see a lot of change until an accumulation of miles has taken place.

I have 2 Chevys and the Average and Instant MPG operate exactly the same. I often reset the Average to Zero and start over when I am going to take a trip and want to see a specific set of values for that particular venture. I back it up with Old Skool math of course...my point is after a reset (likely the same for the new NOX) there is indeed a lot of flucuation in my experience.

I think the OP should "let it ride" for a few weeks and then see if indeed it "settles down"

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:ditto:

My "Average mpg" readout hasen't changed since I bought the car. It has always said 21 mpg even though the old world math (manually)says I only get 17/18 mpg(I drive with a heavy foot). I keep it on "Instant" so I can adjust my driving habits...like starting out slower (8 mpg) instead of punching it (4 mpg). I believe "Instant" tells you more info then "Average" does in real world driving.
I guess for overall MPG per tank "Average" is OK, but for learning to get better MPG "Instant" is better.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
GARYD said:
:ditto:

My "Average mpg" readout hasen't changed since I bought the car. It has always said 21 mpg
DO you ever Set/Clear the Average MPG, or are you getting the reading since you bought the car. If you never reset it, then it will change very slooooowly.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
OH-OH ..... you mean you can reset the average mpg gauge......didn't know that. :banghead:
I know you can reset the trip gauge. Guess I'll have to read the manual. I don't recall reading anything about resetting the Average MPG.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Bring up the display...press and hold set/clear till the DIC flashes and goes back to 22 (starting default)

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
GARYD said:
OH-OH ..... you mean you can reset the average mpg gauge......didn't know that. :banghead:
I know you can reset the trip gauge. Guess I'll have to read the manual. I don't recall reading anything about resetting the Average MPG.
Gary - Of all people !!! :uzi:

Glad I could teach you something. Actually it isn't obvious that you can do it - without reading.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What's that old saying.....You can't teach an old dog new tricks......guess I'm not old after all. :banana:

·
Registered
978 Posts
GARYD said:
What's that old saying.....You can't teach an old dog new tricks......guess I'm not old after all. :banana:
Since it's not listed in your profile...no comment :shrug:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Put my glasses on last night and read the manual. Yep, you can reset the "Average MPG" ..... and the "Average Speed" setting too. Will the wonders never cease? :hilarious:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts