GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Is anyone else having a problem with the v6 engine front cover leaking? Mine is leaking oil, drippin

  • Dealer fix...Does it require engine removal

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any other simple fix

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the front engine cover of my 2011 v6 leaking oil. Under warranty..right? Does the engine require removal to fix?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I have no idea if engine removal is involved, but I do know that there is no simple fix for something like an oil leak....make an appointement with the dealer service department asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
If it is coming from the front, it could be somethng as simple as the filter. Keep an eye on the oil level and get it to the dealer ASAP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
dishdude said:
If it is coming from the front, it could be somethng as simple as the filter. Keep an eye on the oil level and get it to the dealer ASAP
Factory filter on my V6 was leaking after I brought the car home...Was just a quick fix to correct that issue

Check your oil lvl..The V6 DOES NOT have an oil level indicator, and if you get low on oil, you run risk of damaging your timing chain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
grometsc said:
Factory filter on my V6 was leaking after I brought the car home...Was just a quick fix to correct that issue

Check your oil lvl..The V6 DOES NOT have an oil level indicator, and if you get low on oil, you run risk of damaging your timing chain
Hummm...According to the owners manual on page 5-28 under Engine Oil Messages, there is one that says Engine Oil Low-Add Oil. Quote "This message displays when the engine oil level is too low. Check the oil level."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,140 Posts
I wonder if the front area is as tight as the Traverse with the 3.6 L V6.
On these- when the timing chain cover is leaking- the best way to correct this is to drop the engine and repair the leak.
Water pump can be done thru the wheel well- but timing chain cover requires the removal of the old seal etc.

So its possible. But if the Nox/terrain has enough space- then no engine removal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Went to the Dealer today and they found my front V6 engine cover has a leak, I'm currently at 40K miles, and it's covered under powertrain, has anyone else seen or heard of this being an issue? I have an appointment next week to get it fixed, and they told me it was just a reseal, so no new parts are needed. Camaro Forum has had this issue http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236091
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
TommyH4 said:
Went to the Dealer today and they found my front V6 engine cover has a leak, I'm currently at 40K miles, and it's covered under powertrain, has anyone else seen or heard of this being an issue? I have an appointment next week to get it fixed, and they told me it was just a reseal, so no new parts are needed. Camaro Forum has had this issue http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236091
That's a really interesting read, TommyH4. Thanks for sharing!

I'll give my Terrain a peak when it warms up outside!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,550 Posts
If it is happening on Camaro's that mean it may also be and issue on early 3.6L V6 as well?

Hmmm . .. . yup, one more thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
if it's the front cover a proper "re-seal" would involve removing the front cover w/ water pump, intake manifold and cam covers, cleaning up the seal surface and applying a continuous bead of "RTV"....this is no 5 minute job and the engine may have to be pulled....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, simple re-seal to me would entail none of the above....sounds like they will just add sealant around the perimeter of the cover...like you might caulk a window....and probably wont last too long....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Ajax said:
if it's the front cover a proper "re-seal" would involve removing the front cover w/ water pump, intake manifold and cam covers, cleaning up the seal surface and applying a continuous bead of "RTV"....this is no 5 minute job and the engine may have to be pulled....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, simple re-seal to me would entail none of the above....sounds like they will just add sealant around the perimeter of the cover...like you might caulk a window....and probably wont last too long....
Yeah, I agree. I would suspect the dealer would just add sealant around the perimeter. After all, isn't their job to do just enough to limp the vehicle beyond it's warranty period? :banghead:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top