GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrain V6 manual appears to recommend using Regular Fuel.

Has anyone switched from Regular (87 octane) to Super (92 Octane, & noticed any benefits?
LW4T

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
I can't speak from actual experience of the V6 and Premium Fuel, BUT there are tons of discussions of this on the internet and in car magazines saying that is a car recommends regular fuel, except for possibly some extra cleaning additives, there will be no power/economy benefit. My take on all I have read, is that you are better off saving your money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel, It is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

GM tuned it to run on 87 if you were to retune it to use 92 then it could make a difference.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Z_Ghost said:
GM tuned it to run on 87 if you were to retune it to use 92 then it could make a difference.
Good pont, as I understand it, some "chipped" engines get more power by advancing the timing, and thus requiring a higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I run my V6 on 87 or 89 octane, whichever is cheaper at the pump. It runs terrific on either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure about ratings. Since we have had our Terrain, it has not once (Except when we drove it home) had anything but 89 or higher in. I have never put just regular in my vehicles. I dont know if it does have benefits or not, but its just a piece of mind thing. Some people may call it useless, but its just one of things that keeps me happy about my car

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
RIT333 said:
Good pont, as I understand it, some "chipped" engines get more power by advancing the timing, and thus requiring a higher octane fuel.
Yup. You can do it and get more power from a simple tune with higher octane fuel.

However, our vehicles cant be tuned or you will run the risk of losing all warranty on it. Same deal that Camaro guys are dealing with and tuning their cars.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Only, if for some unknown reason, your engine pings, would you need a higher grade gas. Most cars/bikes that the mfg recommends higher octane gas can use regular. Every magazine and newspaper that I've read where comeone wrote in asking that question, the answer has been the same....yes you can use regular instead of premium. If you have a high perforence car/bike you will more than likely need premium.
I have never had a vehicle that required premium, even my 2 Vettes ran exclusively on regular...unless I was going to a drag or ralley for which I wanted all the power I can get. My Harley's manual recommended premium, but I only put in regular for the 9 years I owned it and never had a problem.
I read once that if the mfg recommends premium .... you can use regular, if the mfg requires premium.....then you have to use premium.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Engines with high compression or forced induction (turbo, supercharger) usually require higher octane to prevent pre-detonation.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Z_Ghost said:
Octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel, It is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Another way to look at it is to say that the octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than by the spark plug, it causes knocking which may damage the engine. The compression ratio of the engine determines the octane rating of the gas we use in the vehicle. So a car with a higher compression ratio needs a higher octane fuel, thus increased horsepower. If one were to look into a book on internal combustion engines, the mathematical formulas will show accurate calculations for horsepower.

Finally, I repeat, the compression ratio of our engine determines the octane rating of the gas we should use.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
\

Finally, I repeat, the compression ratio of our engine determines the octane rating of the gas we should use.
I think the compression rato of our engine is relatively high (> 11:1) , such that it would indicate that we should be using high octane gas. However, the direct injection technology cools the cylinders enough that we don't require high octane. This is what I have been led to believe.

·
Registered
321 Posts
RIT333 said:
I think the compression rato of our engine is relatively high (> 11:1) , such that it would indicate that we should be using high octane gas. However, the direct injection technology cools the cylinders enough that we don't require high octane. This is what I have been led to believe.
This sort of makes sense given the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume. Of course, the maximum volume is fixed by cylinder displacement. If there was any "major" knocking, I would definitely have the dealer check it out regardless of octane used (especially if experienced at higher octane fuel ratings).

·
Registered
306 Posts
My basic question is this---- even if you tuned your Equinox/ Terrain to require premium gasoline, why would you want to? These vehicles, especially with the gearing in the transmissions, are well designed and drive just fine for their intended purpose. You could spend a lot of money on premium gas as well as engine mods and still have a "tame" driving vehicle. A turbo, obviously, would make quite a bit of positive difference but other then that, mods or octane won't really do much. IMHO. leave it alone and simply take it for what it is---a very nice daily driver crossover.

·
Registered
321 Posts
RSchleder said:
My basic question is this---- even if you tuned your Equinox/ Terrain to require premium gasoline, why would you want to? These vehicles, especially with the gearing in the transmissions, are well designed and drive just fine for their intended purpose. You could spend a lot of money on premium gas as well as engine mods and still have a "tame" driving vehicle. A turbo, obviously, would make quite a bit of positive difference but other then that, mods or octane won't really do much. IMHO. leave it alone and simply take it for what it is---a very nice daily driver crossover.
Well said...you have my vote.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WHAT!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't know what happened to my post. How can parts of my post be deleted and not the whole post?

It said.......WHAT! You mean we can't take it to "Track Days"? ;D

I agree with you, that the Terrain/Nox is not a sports car, just enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes. High octane needed only if compression or timing is higher/advanced.like with a "chip " kit. Results will be very tiny for the $ spent. Go 87 or 89 octane max :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
GARYD- ;D Now that I see your complete post I enjoyed it!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have asked and my salesperson told me that 87 is the best fro terrain. you can lose some power if you put 92 in it.
I used to own a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 se with high compression engine. if you put 87 gas in it, you will feel a significant power lost. that's why I only use 92 in it

1 - 20 of 58 Posts