GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a long search and couldn't really find what I was looking for. Anyways I got a new company car (V6 AWD Terrain) and I have already put 23,000 miles on it. The car downshifts way too much for a V6 in my opinion. I know in 6th gear it runs pretty low rpm on the highway but it seems to downshift on every little hill even going 75mph. Do your cars do the same thing? My old Dodge Nitro with 50 less hp never downshifted and went up hills fine so this seems weird to me. Maybe I'm too used to driving my SRT Cherokee but something seems wrong to me with how often this thing downshifts. Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, my 2011 6cyl FWD does the same thing. Although I think it is just a thing with the 6 speed. I have had 6cyl cars since 1986 and none of them downshifted as much as my Terrain (we lived in hilly PA until 3 years ago), but yet my mpg doesn't seem to be any worse for it, although I do agree it is a royal pain. I had to go back to PA once through WV and it drove me crazy. I started to let it coast faster going downhill, but didn't seem to help much and I was pushing my luck for getting a ticket, so I stopped. My husband is used to driving our old 2003 Town & Country, which shifts much smoother and faster, and he wants to speed through the gears faster than I think he should and the noise of the engine makes me cringe.......I'm tempted to ban him from driving it! ::)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mine does the same. I does downshift a lot, especially at speeds over 70. Even worse in my case, when it's real hot out, over 80° or so, it's not in any hurry to shift back up to 6th either.

I did notice that when driving at 65 instead of 75, this doesn't happen much.

My guess is a high revving, V-6 that doesn't have a lot of 'bottom end' is working hard to keep the speed up.
Therefore it shifts down to 5th a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does...I'll shift to manual to keep it out of 6th..but only on very hilly roads. Also note there are two final drives..a 2.77 for the 17" and 18" wheels..and a 3.39 for the 19". The 2.77 will rev lower at speed...and because the V6 is a little underpowered it needs to find a taller gear to get up a hill. I do miss my 2007 Avalanche at those times. By the way...the 2.77 final will yield better mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a FWD V6 and have the same thing. I think it ts just the nature of the beast with the 6 speed in the search for more MPG. For example I have a 2004 Dodge with a Cummins and a 4 speed auto. When pulling a 8000 pound trailer it never down shifts, it has the power to make it happen. These new vehicles have more gears and are made to downshift more. Its just a change in product design. Our equinox down shifts and so does my friends new truck. Its made to because it has more gears and is trying to keep its self in the "sweet" spot longer without the throttle being mashed to hold speed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you are coming from a 4-speed car, it can be a shock how much extra shifting a 6-speed does. It was for me.

I got used to it pretty quick, so it's no big deal. My opinion is the 6T40/6T45 is a pretty smooth shifter.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the 19" tires (3.39 axle) and it does a good job of not downshifting based on the terrain (no pun intended).
I have noticed that the transmission in general downshifts when I let off the gas, such as stopping for a light. It seems
to be helping the brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess the dealer was right when they said it was normal. I have the 18" rims so I'm guessing I have the 2.77 gears. It does get pretty good gas mileage so I can't really complain. The downshifting drives me crazy though... On another note, does anyone notice a gas smell out of the air vents when they first turn their cars on? Started noticing it the other day. Pretty nasty smell

·
Registered
673 Posts
saagz87 said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess the dealer was right when they said it was normal. I have the 18" rims so I'm guessing I have the 2.77 gears. It does get pretty good gas mileage so I can't really complain. The downshifting drives me crazy though... On another note, does anyone notice a gas smell out of the air vents when they first turn their cars on? Started noticing it the other day. Pretty nasty smell

take it into the dealer asap, let them smell it otherwise they will never find it later when something goes wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts