GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the V6 engine on the Terrain is a flex fuel engine, has anyone tried flex fuel in it yet?
If so what kind of mileage did you get?

G

·
You will get about 60-65%% the distance out of a tank of Flex fuel that you would regular fuel....and per L/Gal it will most likely cost more. There are other post on her about all the cons of E85.

Not to mention that it takes about 500lbs of corn to make one tank of ethanol that will get you maybe 350km distance.

With all the hungry people in this world I don't know how anyone can sleep at night knowing they stuffed 500lbs of corn in their gas tank to travel a few hundred km's. You ate today, most likely 3 meals...millions haven't eaten in 3 days and no other food showing up in the cubboards anytime soon!

Stop the madness you enviro-nuts

·
Registered
441 Posts
dude, come on...enough bashing people who arent like you.....

mmarges was about right on the mileage.....

i would sooner use a replenishable fuel source then a non-replenishable petro source.....so why dont you go start another poll which gets locked down cause you throwing your ideas down peoples throats

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
mmarges,

Seriously, go educate yourself on E85. You are continuing to spread half truths and its really starting to get annoying. Go look up info about the waste product to ethanol plants being invested in and how much ethanol they are going to produce.

OP, you will usually break even with E85.

http://e85vehicles.com/home.html

That is a pretty good site that will show you a lot of info about E85. If our 2010 was flex fuel, I would be filling it up every chance I got with the E85.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The corn used to make Ethanol is not corn made for human. It's cheap corn for beasts and making ethanol.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
The corn used to make Ethanol is not corn made for human. It's cheap corn for beasts and making ethanol.
That's true, but it still takes massive amounts of water, fertilizer and other resources to make it....and some argue that it's also using up land that would otherwise be producing food, and farmers are choosing the more lucrative ethanol crops. Ethanol won't ever be a total solution, but until an alternative low/zero emission energy source (that can be produced 100% with the same) is created/discovered....ethanol is a decent supplement to slightly reduce the amount of fossil fuel needed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
farmers are actually using less land now days....many cannot afford to do full harvests, let alone sell what they have and turn a profit...if a farmer can make some money off ethanol sales, im all for it....

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Hmm..I think that we've been through this before on another thread.
Yep..field corn feeds the beasts we eat. It's a chain effect. Man does not live by corn alone. Use the field corn for the car...and the beasts have less. Make car food in high demand...lessens the beast feed to nourish the meat food to feed the driver that puts the beast's corn in the car. Turn other food fields into corn fields to feed the car demands less food for the man. Only so much land to feed the car then feed the beast that feeds the man..and if you want vegetables with that better put a garden in the back yard....

Ha..tell the farmers here in Indiana that they can't afford full harvests. They hope each year that that crops are lush..and the weather cooperates to grow them well..and get them in on time. Of course if they can get much better prices for field corn for cars..why..hell yes! Then they wouldn't even need to put up with raising livestock..!!

G

·
IceMan said:
Hmm..I think that we've been through this before on another thread.
Yep..field corn feeds the beasts we eat. It's a chain effect. Man does not live by corn alone. Use the field corn for the car...and the beasts have less. Make car food in high demand...lessens the beast feed to nourish the meat food to feed the driver that puts the beast's corn in the car. Turn other food fields into corn fields to feed the car demands less food for the man. Only so much land to feed the car then feed the beast that feeds the man..and if you want vegetables with that better put a garden in the back yard....
Exactly! and that's what all the enviro-nuts don't get. You don't get something for nothing, there is always a trade off and making any other energy source results in a net loss when you count all the beans. Except for oil because it's already there and ready to go since millions of years ago....1.5 units of energy in to get it...and 30 units of energy out !

The more efficient we become the quicker we cut our throats! A crude example is this.... Let's say I trade in my V8 truck and go out and buy a Toyota Prius. I find at the end of the year I've saved $2000 in fuel...wow, amazing, I just saved a little bit towards the evironment and burned less fuel and reduced the effects of global warming...WRONG...Having an extra $2000 in your pocket enables you to then go out and buy that bigger TV, hop on a plane and take a vacation, remodel your kitchen, go out to dinner a little more often ect...ect...ect.. All of which those things and it's infrastructure takes Energy and oil to create, build, distribute and maintain. You didn't use any more or less engergy, you didn't contribute any more or less pollution...you just transfered it in a different manner.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Even if you sold everything and bought a donkey, your carbon footprint would be too large for some people...you cant win..

Environuts don't think humans are part of nature.

I think everything on earth is just a constant re-mixture of the same elements in different combinations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts