GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for winter rims or mags for the new GMC Terrain. We know that the bolt pattern for the Terrain and some other new GM vehicles is now 5x120mm. Most other cars on the market use 5x114.3mm or 4 bolts, making it difficult to find compatible wheels on the pre-owned market. Most universal 5 bolts aftermarket wheels are 5x100/5x114.3. This may sound like GM did it on purpose.

However BMW has been the only manufacturer to use 5x120mm wheels across all their lineup for a long time. There are a lot of used BMW wheels for sale out there on Kijiji for good prices. Also some newer Acura cars as well as Honda Oddysey and Pilot have this bolt pattern. There is a useful list of specs for all cars on fastwheels website, just google for: wheel application guide.

Having little experience in adapting wheels, I'd like to know if anyone got success in installing BMW wheels on a Terrain? What hardware is necessary, as the lug nuts seems narrower and the hub center bore larger? Is it easy to find new lug bolts and replace them on the Terrain? How about hub rings? Would a 17x7.5" or 17x8" wheel fit on the Terrain, or would it collide with something? How about the offset?

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bolt pattern is 5x120 with a 42 offset I believe that the 7 inch width may be about the widest with the stock offset or your tires may rub on the struts not a lot of clearance in there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a shame, we're kind of being limited to the GM wheels then. How much did you actually verify the clearance?
How about going with a 7.5" wheel with higher offset?

Websites like Tirerack are suggesting 17x8 wheels for the Terrain, but I wonder how they know if it fits. Also, it's weird that even the 19 inch stock is 7 inch wide! That's non-sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got a deal on some nice old BMW x5 2001 wheels. They are 7.5" wide, with a 40mm offset. The smaller offset should compensate a bit for the extra 0.25" wheel width on the inside. I've not found any reference about the offset of the stock wheels for GMC. I'm also concerned about nut hex head sizing (nut heads on GMC are 22mm, 19mm on BMW), but the threads are the same 14x1.5. Maybe the "spare tire" nut socket won't fit the wheel holes and will have to change nuts and spare tool.
Will tell you how it worked!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worked perfectly. I now have put my used BMW X3 wheels on the Terrain. These wheels are 7.5" wide, 40mm offset. I have added some 72.6 - 67.1 hub-centric rings to center the wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TurboLed said:
What a shame, we're kind of being limited to the GM wheels then. How much did you actually verify the clearance?
How about going with a 7.5" wheel with higher offset?

Websites like Tirerack are suggesting 17x8 wheels for the Terrain, but I wonder how they know if it fits. Also, it's weird that even the 19 inch stock is 7 inch wide! That's non-sense.
i'm running 17x7.5 wheels on mine for the winter and they fit just fine, however don't run anything narrower than a 235 section tire as it will not fit the wheel properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alexleblanc said:
i'm running 17x7.5 wheels on mine for the winter and they fit just fine, however don't run anything narrower than a 235 section tire as it will not fit the wheel properly.
Tire manufacturers usually list the range of acceptable rim width. 225 tires are designed to fit 6" to 8". Of course it's recommended to stay in mid-range, but 0.5" more or less is acceptable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TurboLed said:
Tire manufacturers usually list the range of acceptable rim width. 225 tires are designed to fit 6" to 8". Of course it's recommended to stay in mid-range, but 0.5" more or less is acceptable.
well in my case, look at how narrow the 235's look on 7.5" wheels. They just fit

·
Registered
32 Posts
TurboLed said:
Worked perfectly. I now have put my used BMW X3 wheels on the Terrain.
How about some pics? I'd love to see this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thoughts on some 5 series wheels? they are 17x8 and have a 25mm offset, will this pose a big issue with rubbing? I can get a set for free for winter use if they fit, and i'll test fit first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts