GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All...

I did a search and read a the post's on the USB interface, and using a memory stick. However I did not find the answer to my question, and I do not have my Terrain yet (I am supposed to take delivery this week. WOOHOO)

Here is my question...

My husband gave me an 8GB USB drive, and I want to load it full of music (not only music for me, but for our 6 month old son also). However I do know that it has to be formatted for FAT32, which is no problem that can be done.

BUT

For those of you who have used a memory stick in their Terrain's. Can you tell me if when you copied the music over to your USB did you keep it in separate folders (i.e. albums, artist's) OR did you have to just copy one long list of songs in individual files over to the USB to work?

I am wondering if I can copy over the folders I want filled with music and will the car let me skip through the folders, instead of having to skip through ever single song.

Can anyone tell me how it interfaces / works?

Thanks -- TG

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
great question - We don't have our NOX yet, but this is good news. I didn't realize that you could simply put a jump drive into the USB port. Any owners know ?

THX

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
TerrainGirl said:
For those of you who have used a memory stick in their Terrain's. Can you tell me if when you copied the music over to your USB did you keep it in separate folders (i.e. albums, artist's) OR did you have to just copy one long list of songs in individual files over to the USB to work? I am wondering if I can copy over the folders I want filled with music and will the car let me skip through the folders, instead of having to skip through ever single song.
You can copy it in folders. It takes info from the ID3 tags of the file. So as long as the Album/track info is in there it will be able to separate it.

TerrainGirl said:
Can anyone tell me how it interfaces / works?

Thanks -- TG
The interface is sort of like the Ipod. You can sort by Artist, Album, Song or playlist.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Addendum:

I have the NAV. IT is controlled by the Select button in the center of the stack and all the info appears on NAV screen. It can be changed while driving.

I'm not sure how it works on Non-nav models.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NY_Joe said:
Addendum:

I have the NAV. IT is controlled by the Select button in the center of the stack and all the info appears on NAV screen. It can be changed while driving.

I'm not sure how it works on Non-nav models.
NY_Joe --> Thanks, much appreciated, unfortunately I did not order the NAV system.

Anyone with the non-NAV system have some insight?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ran out and tried it on my non-navigation system Terrain. I created a folder and dropped a mp3 in it, and then put another mp3 on the root drive of the thumb drive. The results were the Terrain did not show the folder, it just found both mp3's and displayed them on Play All menu. So if would appear if you separate them by Artist via folder, it won't matter. It just look for all the playable formats and loads them all, no matter where they are located.

Just out of curiosity I plugged my ipod then my usb thumb drive into a 4 port hub and plugged it into the Terrain USB port. No joy....No Supported Devices Found message. So I guess it doesn't like USB hubs.

KJ

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
noncon said:
I ran out and tried it on my non-navigation system Terrain. I created a folder and dropped a mp3 in it, and then put another mp3 on the root drive of the thumb drive. The results were the Terrain did not show the folder, it just found both mp3's and displayed them on Play All menu. So if would appear if you separate them by Artist via folder, it won't matter. It just look for all the playable formats and loads them all, no matter where they are located.

Just out of curiosity I plugged my ipod then my usb thumb drive into a 4 port hub and plugged it into the Terrain USB port. No joy....No Supported Devices Found message. So I guess it doesn't like USB hubs.

KJ
KJ...

Thanks for the post, so it showed both mp3 files? it didn't show the folders they were in? Were you able to sort by artist than or was the only option available to play all?

My husband wants to load them on my USB drive, but he doesn't want to have to load and than reload them. I guess we will have to just load them all in their seperate folders and hope for the best.

·
Registered
93 Posts
TerrainGirl said:
Thanks for the post, so it showed both mp3 files?
Yes.

TerrainGirl said:
it didn't show the folders they were in?
Nope, the folder did not show up.

TerrainGirl said:
Were you able to sort by artist than or was the only option available to play all?
I should clarify, the songs aren't sorted in the Play All list. However using the search feature, you can search the songs on the drive by Artist, Album, Genre etc etc.

SnowItch said:
Did you have a powered USB hub. I think for it to have any hope of working, you'd have to provide power. The amount of power provided by the usb port isn't enough for the hub, ipod and usb thumb drive.
No, I did not use my powered drive. I was just wanted to see it would work, not really surprised it didn't.

KJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, here is my input on why the USB sticks are not working in the vehicle.
The reason the USB doesn't work is that some of the USB sticks have a program installed on it that NEEDS to loads everytime it is plugged into a USB slot. The memory stick needs to be formatted, and all software uninstalled (FACTORY SOFTWARE) before using the stick in the vehicle.
For example. When you use a "JumpDrive" memory stick on your computer you will notice a program loads up everytime you plug in your stick. This program contains games/ security/ and pure junk. The program uses the computer memory to load. After it loads you are able to use your memory stick on your computer.

Now in the vehicle these "JumpDrive" sticks try to load that program resulting in errors or nothing at all. The vehicle unit is used to only read files, not to allow programs to run such as the file trying to load up.
It is like a receiver I once had. The USB stick never worked as the crap tried to load on to my receiver. Once I removed all the software and formatted the USB the receiver accepted and recognized the USB.

So what now.... Well I tried my wifes OLD "JumpDrive". It did not work. So I formatted the stick and removed all the crap. I loaded a few songs and in seconds the USB was found and my music started to play!

I hope this helps everyone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I formatt my 32G Sandisk Cruzer memory to FAT32 right fom my puter..It has a default and when I right click on the Flash drive I do a Quick formatt..I do this to play movie(Avi) thru a Upconversion Philips DVD Player..I never have to burn videos and I am amazed at the quality of the vids..It has a USB port in it..Only paid $49 for it..

Yes I deleted that program on every one of my Sandisk Flash Drives,so when I put it into a usb slot it does not popup anymore..It was very annoying..Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE!

My husband formatted my 8GB USB memory stick last night to FAT32; we loaded it up with music and are now ready to go. A part of me still hopes that the file folders that all of the music are in will be recognized and that it won't "resort" all of the music on the drive. At last check I think we were over 2000 songs on it.

Will see how it works when we get our Terrain; and will let you all know if we discover anything else.

Thanks - TG

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just put a couple folders of MP3's on a jump drive and tried it this morning. Seems to work great. I'm about to check the manual to see how to set up random/shuffle play (I assume you can). I was wondering though..... I have several 2.5" hard drives around in cases with USB cable ports. The drives are powered by the USB port when plugged into a computer. Will one of these drive work on the Terrain aux USB port? Figured I'd ask before I went to the trouble of filling one with music files.....

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
TerrainGirl said:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE!

My husband formatted my 8GB USB memory stick last night to FAT32; we loaded it up with music and are now ready to go. A part of me still hopes that the file folders that all of the music are in will be recognized and that it won't "resort" all of the music on the drive. At last check I think we were over 2000 songs on it.

Will see how it works when we get our Terrain; and will let you all know if we discover anything else.

Thanks - TG
In the manual it states it reads the first 2500 songs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is that in addition to what might be on your jump usb drive? I will search the manual, but what are the "dummy" directions for uploading into the 2 gigs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
SnowItch said:
Just as a side note, non-NAV versions do have 2GB of mem space available to upload music.
This isn't the first time I have read about this but I have been unable to figure out how to use this feature.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SnowItch said:
There is too much to quote here, but the details are in the Equinox manual on page 6-24. As I review the pages, it is 1.1GB (not 2) and you use the REC button:
I'll check when I take the kids to school in a few minuets but I don't think I have that O REC button.
Maybe this feature is only on non-nav SLTs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I'll check when I take the kids to school in a few minuets but I don't think I have that O REC button.
Maybe this feature is only on non-nav SLTs?
So I just went and checked and I can't find any sort of Record button on my IP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's not really a big deal. A 4 gig jump/flash/thumb drive can hold a s^*$ load of mp3's. Did I read that the max number it can index is 25,000 or was it 2,500? Either way, I would like to figure out the size thumb drive I should use. My mp3 files look to be 7 or 8 megs on average.......

·
Registered
635 Posts
Entry level radio has no storage capacity

The middle Alpine/Pioneer radio with time shifting(2GB mem) records xm/fm/am by pausing like a DVR.

Then you can resume and forward till live again, or go to "MEM" to listen to recording.

An indicator shows recording progress. there is no "REC" button. Just pause and play.

The NAV mass media radio(40 GB) will record off the usb/fm/am/xm..more versatile..has a "REC" button lower left corner of array.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts