GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and really haven't found exactly what my problem is. I've never had a problem with my I-pod connecting up to the USB slot in my 2010 Terrain until a few months ago.

I'd say only about 25% of the time, it actually works. Every now and then I'll get a "device not recognized" message. The rest of the time, I just get the Aux Jack mode and it will never switch over to my I-pod. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but still no luck. I've noticed it mostly works once turning on my Terrain, but it's still hit or miss.

I brought it to the dealership. They told me there was nothing they could do and blamed my cord. I tried multiple cords, no difference. Took it back and it wasn't working when they tested it. After two days at the dealership, I was told they reset the USB Connection Module. They apparently got it working, but said it would freeze if I turned off the car and left the I-pod plugged in. They tested this theory on another 2010 model and apparently, that Terrain had the same problems as mine.

They then blamed the I-pod. The I-pod worked when I left the dealership and the next time I turned it on (I followed their advise exactly as they said). The third time I turned it on, it didn't work. It has not worked since, and I've driven all weekend.

I also tried using a friend's I-pod, and 2 different I-phone 4's.....USB connection is still failing. I think I've proved that it is not my equipment malfunction, yet the dealership says corporate has no known problems and they will not do anything further.

I've also had the static issue I've seen several people complain of. I found the service bulletin to replace the module, however the dealership again said they will not replace it unless I can replicate the problem in front of them. Like the rest of complaints I've read, the static is a random occurrence.

Is anyone else having/had a problem like mine? Any fixes? Is the dealership just being lazy, I've already lost confidence in them a long time ago? (Guess I should also mention that the dealership basically refused to SELL me a Terrain when I was shopping for one, they made the whole process complicated and refused to listen to what I wanted. I really had to go to a dealership over three hours away, funny enough the whole process was completed over the phone in less than 30 minutes and I actually paid less than I was expecting to pay) Maybe it's time for a roadtrip to the dealership I purchased it from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
In short, no, that's not a problem I've experienced (though I have an '11 Equinox).

At any rate, might I suggest trying a flash drive with your music on there, as I have done? In my opinion, this is a more desired avenue for playing music in my car because you can leave it in there at all times, it doesn't draw as much power from the USB port as an iPod (which may cause some of the problems you're experiencing), they're extremely cheap today ($14 for 16gb and $30 for 32gb on Amazon) and, lastly, you can organize your music in folders or just "play all".

The initial time you plug the thing in, it's going to take some time to "index" but, after that, it's smooth sailing. Also, if the Terrain setup is anything like the Equinox, I'd suggest looking for a small or mini flash drive so it doesn't stick out 3" in the console and get broken when you or a friend drop something in there. I'm using an extra microSD card I had with a very tiny microSD to USB converter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
pcs24,

Which bulletin are you referring to, PI0055B? This talks about what you are describing, especially the "intermittent" operation from one ignition cycle to the next. Maybe you can reason with the dealer saying that even the bulletin recognizes the symptoms are intermittent, so duplicating them everytime is an unreasonable expectation. Maybe try a different dealership. I can post the bulletin if you need it. If your vehicle is still under warranty, the should run through the steps of the bulletin and replace the MPIM for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thumb drive was my next option, but I don't even know if that will work.

Nuclear, yes, that's the one. I have it, first time I went I mentioned it, they said there wasn't one. I then proceeded to show them the bulletin from this website. The person at the dealership then printed it out, said he found it, and that they weren't going to do anything to it...basically it is easier for me to have to unplug/replug to fix the static than for them to replace a part. The next closest dealer is near the beach...might have to make it a little weekend trip soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have this same issue with my '11 Terrain and my ipod (video ipod if that matters). The cord I use with the ipod is the kind where you have to press the little buttons on each side of the dock connector in order to remove it from your ipod, so I know the cord isn't just falling out of the ipod. It's so annoying because I'm constantly having to reset the ipod and then navigate back to the playlist I want to listen to (when you have a lot of playlists, that's no easy task). I tried a flash drive in the past but it wasn't recognized (don't know why) and I'm not sure I'd want to go that route anyway. I have itunes set up so that my music is organized exactly how I want it (I'm all about playlists for the most part) and there's just no way to use a flash drive with itunes. If I could use a flash drive and have it mimic an ipod, I'd be all over it but I don't think that's possible. I like being able to just plug my ipod into the computer and have it sync all of my new music as I get it. Going back to manually managing playlists, etc on a flash drive seems like a step backwards for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing has really worked for me, don't know if you'll get anything different, psywzrd, since you have an 11. But I've reset my i-pod (lock, unlock, hold middle and menu button at same time until the apple shows up). I've also heard to make sure that your ipods firmware is current, so update itunes and check for an update on your ipod (mine is current).

I'm getting pretty tempted to flash my whole ipod and reset it through itunes to see if that makes a difference. I just want to figure out how to save a playlist from my ipod to itunes so I don't have to put almost 2000 songs back on it...I don't put my whole library on the ipod, so going through 4000 songs to find what I want would be a hassle.

If you do get the thumb drive working, and I haven't tried it yet, I've been working the past few days and out of the terrain, I think the easiest solution to your issue with it being non-compatible with itunes download "mp3tag" (free), then you can switch the file names to be whatever the tag is...if it's set up the format you like in itunes, thats the tag, filename may be different. The program can also let you select songs from the playlist and give them all one unique genre or whatever, then sort through that in windows explorer before uploading them.

There is also a way to rip songs directly off your ipod without itunes...don't know if that will keep it all in line with the playlists, but you could just drag from ipod and drop onto thumbdrive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
pcs24,

What ipod do you have? If you have a Touch, try shutting off the Wi-Fi, then reset it again before you connect it to the car.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would like to look into this for you. Have you been in contacting with customer assistance? Please contact me with the last eight of your VIN, contact information, and dealer name. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
368 Posts
pcs24 said:
I've searched and really haven't found exactly what my problem is. I've never had a problem with my I-pod connecting up to the USB slot in my 2010 Terrain until a few months ago.

I'd say only about 25% of the time, it actually works. Every now and then I'll get a "device not recognized" message. The rest of the time, I just get the Aux Jack mode and it will never switch over to my I-pod. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but still no luck. I've noticed it mostly works once turning on my Terrain, but it's still hit or miss.
I've also had the static issue I've seen several people complain of. I found the service bulletin to replace the module, however the dealership again said they will not replace it unless I can replicate the problem in front of them. Like the rest of complaints I've read, the static is a random occurrence.

Is anyone else having/had a problem like mine? Any fixes? ...
My 2011 Terrain SLE-2 has these issues too. The seem fairly random as far as when they occur. But instead of "device not recognized" I occasionally see "indexing ipod" and the indexing never finishes. Or the iPod (actually an iPhone 4S) will just crash and restart. And the static likewise is random. But once any of these start, I usually have to shut the Terrain off and restart it before the iPhone will work with it again. And like you, I've seen it with different phones (two 3GS's also showed these issues) and different cables. Rebooting just the iPhone doesn't seem to help.

A separate and (I think) unrelated issue is that I'm still waiting for the GM update to be able to handle Siri when using the handsfree dialing. I can use the Bluetooth/voice sequence and it's fine until the phone finds multiple numbers and Siri kicks in to ask which one I want. At that point, the Terrain ends the bluetooth connection.

So it seems that, though these are great features, the GM software isn't quite there yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tricia, I will contact you after work.

Tdog - I'm with you on the software. When I first got mine, I had a blackberry, the bluetooth and voice dialing worked flawlessly. Since then I've moved onto a newer Android, and I haven't been able to use voice commands.

Nuclear, I have a 5th gen 30gig ipod and have tried an iphone 4 and 3s

·
Registered
361 Posts
i am having the same issues on my 2010 nox 2lt. i am using an ipod touch 32gb 3rd gen. the constant not seeing the ipod when i restart the car is driving me crazy. and as of late it will just lose the connection while i am driving. i have tried 2 different cables and the same stuff keeps happening. i also cant see the music on my android phone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I tried to solve this problem by using a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer but that's just not a good option for me. I was hoping that there might be a way to sync the flash drive with itunes but I was unsuccessful. I'm surprised that nobody has found a way to "clone" an ipod to a flash drive so that itunes (and in my case, my Terrain's radio) will sync with it. Anyway, I went back to using my ipod and shortly thereafter had the same problem where my radio wouldn't see the ipod. This is really aggravating and it's the exact type of problem that the dealership will be unable to fix - I just know it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
turning off wifi on the itouch resolved all issues

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a major issue with my 2012 Terrain connecting to my Ipod. I've had this car 1 week today mind you. I only have the Nano, however, when I plug in the ipod usb it recognizes the Ipod, and even shows the song it's currently on, but it's completely frozen. It won't play at all. I can switch to a different song via the steering wheel knob or the dash buttons, but it still doesn't play. It worked for 2 days and now it won't. I've rebooted the ipod, disconnected it and reconnected it on both the Ipod and the USB connector in the center console. I'm probably going to take it to the dealer this weekend, but didn't know if anyone had any fixes for it.

Pete

·
Registered
673 Posts
I get the occasional glitch where it boots me out of ipod and have to unplug it and plug back in or it will be stuck on one song and have to unplug usb cable.

I own 2012 with Premium sound and 6th gen ipod nano

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have been using the iPhone 4S from the time it came out, with almost no issues. The odd time I would have to plug/unplug, but otherwise it works like a charm, SIRI and all; much better than my Android before hand

1 - 20 of 34 Posts