GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I tried this today and seemed to work...I only put 6 songs out of an album on a usb..What I did to play the tracks in order was to rename each song like I Gotta A Feeling...I put an A in front of the "I"..a "B" in front of the next song etc...if they are numbered u can change that also to reflect..1.2.3 etc..then when i copied to the hd the songs were all in order..

First I had a folder named Black Eyed Peas..then a subfolder named The E.N.D. (CD1) with the 6 songs each marked..A.B.C..etc All songs in track order.......

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put a bunch of albums on a flash drive and went to use it in the vehicle, all the songs played but the organization was a mess. It showed three copies of some albums but each only had a few of that album's songs, Artists were showing up on the list a few times(due to things like "&" vs "and" being used in band names) and other simmilar issues.
I went to Cnet and donwloaded a free version of something called TagScanner and used it to fix up the ID3 tags for a bunch of my mp3s.
Worked like a charm for the most part but I did find that simply editing the ID3 tags wasn't enough to make the vehicle re-index the flash drive. When I put the drive back in the vehicle right after editing the tags it was still very disorganized. I took the drive back in the house, deleted 1 album worth of tracks and took it back out to the vehicle.. this time it re-indexed the drive and worked with all the lables cleaned up and very well organized. Next time I was in the house, I added the missing album back onto the card and upon return to the vehicle, everything I tried to load in the first place was now opperational and working just like I would expect.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And your Tracks from different Albums were playing in the right order...The first time I tried an Album on the usb inserted the tracks were playing in alphabetical order...thats why I edited the songs with the ABC etc in front of the song and they played in the right sequence......

·
Registered
239 Posts
nitti48 said:
And your Tracks from different Albums were playing in the right order...The first time I tried an Album on the usb inserted the tracks were playing in alphabetical order...thats why I edited the songs with the ABC etc in front of the song and they played in the right sequence......
Yup, I just ran out and tested it.

I brought up the search menu and selected Albums
I scrolled down and seleced the album Wildflowers
It brought up the track list in the order they appear on the original CD
I selected the first song on the album and then used the forward and back arrows to move back and forth between the songs in that album in the order they appear on the original CD.

Two things:
When I used TagScanner, I made sure to update the "#" box & the "/" box on the track line.

When I shut the vehicle off and return later, it always defaults back to playing the "all tracks" list in alphabetical order from the track I was last listening to, If I want to continue the album, I have to re-select it through the search function.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you explain how u Edit the ID Tags???

·
Registered
239 Posts
nitti48 said:
Could you explain how u Edit the ID Tags???
I downloaded that TagScanner software I mentioned and used it.
There was a button at the bottom to browse/scan for music files and it allowed me to specify the folder to look in.
After it loaded the list is tracks I clicked on the "Tag Editor" tab at the top of the window.
The song on the left that I highlighted populated it's data in a pane on the right(in boxes)
I was able to fill in and change the info in the boxes, I was very east to do a whole album in order.
Fill in 1 / 15(or whatever) in the track boxes and then click to lock the box down.
Fill in the album & artist names how you want them to appear and lock donw those boxes and then hit save.
It moves on to the next track on the list and automaticly ups the track count by one, makes sure the artist & Album info you locked on the first track are used on the second track and gives you a chance to correct any errors on the track title before you click save again and move on to the next track.
If you do another album by the same artist, go back to the first and copy/paste your Artist info, you want it exacty the same for all of that artist`s albums.(capitalization, the use of & / and / And)

I think the sofware had the option to do things in larger batches but this was the method I used, I never bothered to figure out any of the other features other then the fact that you can use the little play, pause, stop buttobs in the bototrom left corner to control playback of the highlighted song in the left pane.

I think that if you go into the folder in windows that your fales are stored in you can right click on the individual files and select properties and make changes to the ID3 tag info on one of the tabs in there but it won`t be labled ID, it will be called details or something like that and it will be very labour intensive to change more then just a few songs that way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMCdriver...I downloaded that tag scanner program..I got the album files I wanted that were numbered wrong..How do u lockdown the songs and save..Seem to be having a problem..I know u gave great directions but I am still confused how to do it.........

·
Registered
239 Posts
nitti48 said:
GMCdriver...I downloaded that tag scanner program..I got the album files I wanted that were numbered wrong..How do u lockdown the songs and save..Seem to be having a problem..I know u gave great directions but I am still confused how to do it.........
From what I remember there were 4 tabs across the top of the window:
Music renamer, Tag Editor, Tag processor, and something else that escapes me right now.
I only used the Tag Editor tab.
when I selected that tab I had:
-a list on the left(of the songs I had scaned in useing the browse function that was on the bottom of the screen)
&
- a chart of boxes on the right

The boxes showed the data that was stored in the ID3 tags for the song that was highlighed on the left.
by clicking on the word that described one of the boxes, say "Album", it would turn light blue and lock that phrase in to be used on the enxt song as well.
The save button was down on the right side, it saved the new tag infor that was filled in and moved to the next song on the list automaticly.

I'm sure there being an Undo button at the top somewhere(same icon you would see in an windows program), I played around a bit trying a change and thenundoing what I had just done until I figured out the pattern that got the job done quickly enough for me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GMCDriver...I know u can play in order..but try letting the song play to the end and see if the next track is in order...What I did was edit each song and put a A in front of the first song..B second song etc..

If u did edit the songs what did u put?? You just renumbered them??...Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somethingelse..I have no problem playing songs from Albums which are on the mem stick in USB..It is when I copy them to the HDD...Thats when I have to put the letters in front of the songs and then they play the tracks in order....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh..so you have no idea..Thats ok..I can use the tag scanner and try sum stuff but it really worked Great by using the letters before the tracks..If anyone does it different please chime right in..Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts