GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE I don't want trunk rattling bass... I just want to add some bass to level out the underwhelming bass that is overpowered by mids and highs. The premium Bose system in my old 2016 Altima had enough bass, if that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

I just bought the Terrain this weekend, thinking I got the premium sound system, but quickly realized I don't. :(

Back in the day (90's/early 2000's), I was savvy enough to replace the stereo, install an amp, replace speakers, and throw in a box with a couple 8's in it, and would have a great sound system. I'm a bit scared to try that with this vehicle.

I'm definitely missing any respectable bass with this stock sound system. I don't need the neighbors to hear me rolling down the street, but I want to enjoy a little thump.

Any recommendations on the easiest way to add some bass?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Last I checked there weren’t any aftermarket molded enclosures yet. There are a few places that sell sub and amp combo that are designed to fit under a seat. While I don’t think it would work under the seat due to how it drops down when you fold them, it will fit under the rear cargo floor. Might look into something like that if all you want is more bass. I was going to do that before upgrading to my Equinox with Bose.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I know I will catch some flack for recommendimg this but these new hidden subwoofers are sooo easy

Just tap in + 12v and ground , no remote ground and
If u want just a little, finding a place to hide it can be hard but they have REALLY small ones. The biggest issue is finding a line in without active noise cancellation frequencies being pumped into the cabin... Subwoofers in cars aren't cool anymore...sorry...harsh...my opinion ONLY... Just not classy. That being said I have so many 12's amplifiers like crazy and even a 21" subwoofer.. Not in any cars...storage...the "modern utility" is the style now subwoofers kinda are on there way out.
Now there's a thruster exciter... These are amazing

They don't take alot of power but hide 1 behind a panel it will shake the whole car provides some deep bass guys are running them on trunk lids just to draw attention.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I will catch some flack for recommendimg this but these new hidden subwoofers are sooo easy

Just tap in + 12v and ground , no remote ground and
If u want just a little, finding a place to hide it can be hard but they have REALLY small ones. The biggest issue is finding a line in without active noise cancellation frequencies being pumped into the cabin... Subwoofers in cars aren't cool anymore...sorry...harsh...my opinion ONLY... Just not classy. That being said I have so many 12's amplifiers like crazy and even a 21" subwoofer.. Not in any cars...storage...the "modern utility" is the style now subwoofers kinda are on there way out.
Now there's a thruster exciter... These are amazing

They don't take alot of power but hide 1 behind a panel it will shake the whole car provides some deep bass guys are running them on trunk lids just to draw attention.
I think my post could have been worded better... I don't need my car to shake, I just want enough bass to level out the all the mids and highs. The sound of the stock stereo leaves a lot to be desired. To give you a better idea... I traded in my Nissan SLT when I bought the Terrain. It had the premium Bose sound system included, and I felt it was balanced and had plenty of bass to satisfy me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is a guy on here that sells a harness for both systems to install a sub. Do a search and you should be able to find him.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The thruster exciter doesn't just shake it takes like no power...very little.. U just wire it up to any speaker and attach it wherever u need bass... Under the seats, in the doors no extra amp needed because their so low powered... I just ordered 2.... They create a low frequency that reverberates off whatever u want creating bass.... Honestly the only good line in is inside the dash going direct from the stereo before anc cuts in... Take apart the dash and tap in then just add a remote ground off the ignition and a good power and ground wire... Then run any system... U want super easy but kinda "wrong" take off t pillar panel, catch a couple braided wires to a now a days common high level input amp like Grumm.man suggest and get a amplified sub box....lemme tell ya from experience... Nobody can tell the difference between tapping in your signal wires from the dash or Tpillar on any subwoofer JUST keep In mind t pillar u will be pumping noise cancelling signals? I guess.... Whatever still sounds good...
Wrong way
Step 1...remove panel by passenger seat between back...u know T pillar?
Step 2...isolate speaker wires going into the door... On the body going to the door..digital voltage meter can help..m
Step 3.... Tap into those 2 wires and depending on your amp u might want to use a high output converter for rca conversion "box"..if amp doesn't have high level inputs..it probably will
Step 4..... I'm sure u know run remote ground to ignition or ANY fuse that turns off when key is off preferably ignition...then a nice solid. Positive preferably copper no copper clad aluminum garbage lol to battery and a ground wire to the body registering no more than 5 ohms resistance on volt meter.
Step 6...wire up your amp......now...from a expert... Based on your response... Only a ported box will do. Depending on your setup that will give you "the bose effect" your after... Running a sealed box on a small- low power system is like putting a Honda engine in a Ferrari.
Right way.... From what I understand... Step 1 there are low level like less tHan 5v wires in the dash behind the stereo capable of giving a nice clean rca direct signal no anc in the dash... No repair manual for this vehicle yet...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm definitely missing any respectable bass with this stock sound system. I don't need the neighbors to hear me rolling down the street, but I want to enjoy a little thump.
I'm going to take a video of the thrusters I ordered I'll put a link up up here too... No amp required and plenty of thump depending on the route u go idk if ur on the fence but on a small system these are the future.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Side note- any subwoofer will effect the anc even when wired in properly you may get a sound effect that sounds like a bunch of tennis balls being shaken in a cardboard box..... Thrusters are CHEAP no amp and easily concealed wired parrilel with any/all speakers concealed in the doors OMG how great it would sound....thumps...it will only draw more from stock amp AND unlike a subwoofer u can still enjoy anc... Total 40$ for 4 doors vs 1234? Hundred and detrimental effects with subwoofer..

·
Registered
779 Posts

These each are like a 6 inch sub... Ridiculous going in the front doors. The mirrors will shake and it will give that sub frequency below 200hz
Just ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE I don't want trunk rattling bass... I just want to add some bass to level out the underwhelming bass that is overpowered by mids and highs. The premium Bose system in my old 2016 Altima had enough bass, if that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

I just bought the Terrain this weekend, thinking I got the premium sound system, but quickly realized I don't. :(

Back in the day (90's/early 2000's), I was savvy enough to replace the stereo, install an amp, replace speakers, and throw in a box with a couple 8's in it, and would have a great sound system. I'm a bit scared to try that with this vehicle.

Any recommendations on the easiest way to add some bass?
I think my post could have been worded better... I don't need my car to shake, I just want enough bass to level out the all the mids and highs. The sound of the stock stereo leaves a lot to be desired. To give you a better idea... I traded in my Nissan SLT when I bought the Terrain. It had the premium Bose sound system included, and I felt it was balanced and had plenty of bass to satisfy me.
I’m in the same boat. What did you end up doing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts