GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm attempting to put on a Tepui Low-Pro 3 on the roof of my 2014 Terrain SLT. We have the factory rails and bars already, but the bars need to be spaced 32"-42" to mount the RTT and the maximum spacing on the stock bars/rail is 27.5". The tent weighs 120 lbs. From the research I have done there are 3 options, PLEASE let me know what you think!

1) Attached to this post is an image of a plastic insert that can be removed, what is this thing for? Is it to extend the length of your rail? If so I could get the 5" extra inches needed and wouldn't need to replace my whole roofrack system.

2) I could replace the rails and keep the bars, since it is the rails themselves that don't allow for the bars to be separated 32"-42". I can't find any rail replacements that fit the vehicle though, I have never done this before. Is it possible to replace just the rails and keep my bars?

3) I can replace the entire rail and bar system, but I don't know where to start with that either. I am really worried I will spend upwards of $300 and it won't fit my vehicle. Again, any help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

I'm attempting to put on a Tepui Low-Pro 3 on the roof of my 2014 Terrain SLT. We have the factory rails and bars already, but the bars need to be spaced 32"-42" to mount the RTT and the maximum spacing on the stock bars/rail is 27.5". The tent weighs 120 lbs. From the research I have done there are 3 options, PLEASE let me know what you think!

1) Attached to this post is an image of a plastic insert that can be removed, what is this thing for? Is it to extend the length of your rail? If so I could get the 5" extra inches needed and wouldn't need to replace my whole roofrack system.

2) I could replace the rails and keep the bars, since it is the rails themselves that don't allow for the bars to be separated 32"-42". I can't find any rail replacements that fit the vehicle though, I have never done this before. Is it possible to replace just the rails and keep my bars?

3) I can replace the entire rail and bar system, but I don't know where to start with that either. I am really worried I will spend upwards of $300 and it won't fit my vehicle. Again, any help is very much appreciated.

That little cover is the rail cover. You have to remove that before you can slide the cross rails into the rack.

For example (go to 0:35 on this video):

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to chime in with what I know so far. So a couple things, 1. i think the OEM cross bars will not support the weight of a tent and people inside, i could have swore I read that their max load is around 220lbs. its not just the weight of the tent but the weight of the people sleeping in it to consider. 2. before trying to understand what tents to put on we need to understand how much weight the roof can even take. nowhere is that information listed and when I asked a couple of parts and service people at our local GMC dealerships they would not give me an answer out of fear of liability. I ended up calling GMC Canada HQ and spoke with a customer rep, she too had no clue and had to pass my request onto the Technical Team. I dont have an answer as of yet but when I do I'll be creating a post about the tent im buying as well as a bunch of other cool things that are in the works for my 2013 GMC Terrain.

If you have managed to put a tent on and have used it I would be very interested to hear about your experience.

·
Registered
556 Posts
220 lbs is the max load on the roof rack on my '16 'nox , '11 Tahoe and my '20 Terrain .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts