GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to upgrade the 7" receiver in my 2020 Equinox LT to the 8" factory radio? I know there are GM parts sites out there that will sell replacement 8" factory radios, and I was hoping there was a way to remove my 7" screen and "upgrade" to the 8" radio unit. I dont necessarily need navigation, but was thinking the software and interface of the 8" is better than the standard 7". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone found a solution that allows for an upgrade of the head unit while retaining all factory functionality?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. What i am talking about is adding an aftermarket or 8" gm factory head unit while being able to maintain the A/C, lighting and chime control that exists within the stock head unit.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
You would likely need both a different head unit as well as the 8"
display screen. There may be more, including getting the installed units programmed by the dealer to accept them by VIN.
In any event, it requires a dealer with techs who really know what they are doing and it also helps for you to be fairly savvy.
We've seen members here who have done this in past years and bought upgrade 8" hardware only for dealers fail to program the new units and tell the owner that what the bought was "bad".
After market units are even worse in that you may loose operational features or have glitches
In any case. .. to do this *right*will likely cost several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just so every knows there really is no head unit anymore. What you see in the dash is just a screen. The units are in different parts of the car. I had my radio unit replaced becaus of issues with voice recognition and the technician showed me where its located. Its under the glove box on the right side with cables going to the screen. If the cables are the same technically you could swap it out. However its not that simple You will have to also have the dealership program it to work with your car if that is even possible which should be. However it doesn't mean that the dealership will have the answer or really be able to do it.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
IS there an *echo* in here ? ? :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts