GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2011 terrain slt v6 with 120,000 miles and want to do a transfer case fluid change soon.
Do I need 1 qt or 2?

Also does anyone have a chart that shows where the grounding points are?
I replaced my alt (went south) with a genuine gm one and battery (went with it) last week and Im still getting headlights dimming slightly when I come a stop
but quickly return to normal when i accelerate away.
Im thinking grounds maybe? Plus I now get a slight flicker on the interior overhead lights which I didnt have prior.
Any Ideas? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
There are several small grounding points but the largest is the negative battery cable so l would start there.
The battery terminal on one side and the cable splits 4 ways on the other.

The first and largest is the wire to the engine.
Then one to the unibody frame rail, one to the current sensor, and the last is a separate ground wire to the BCM.

The negative cable is a known problem area for corrosion, also the current sensor is attached to the negative cable.

Reactions: gjkrisa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi red,
Thanks for the reply.

I remember before I replaced the alt and battery I crawled under and I could not locate any ground points, are they accessed by the top or the wheel well?
Is there a diagram somewhere for them? I bought the pdf manual off fleabay but It wasnt much help for the ground points.
I did locate the starter. I swear who ever designed the terrain engine compartment needs an arse woopin. Man Its way too tight under there.
I thought my corvette engine bay was tight but the terrain has it beat.
I just went out and did some voltage checks and got 12.5 engine cold and off, and idling got 14.6 so all is well with the new batt and alt.
The flickering only happens at idle, if revved to say 1000 or higher rpm no flickering what so ever, none.
I will check the battery connections in the next couple days and if I find them to be tight I will probably just order a new neg cable and maybe a new pos cable also.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Check the engine to frame ground also. You can also add one as it may be easier.
My '16 takes .85 qt. in transfer case.
Was alt. a reman. or new ? Flicker is usually a sign of worn brushes in the alt. .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi repairman,
Prior to replacing the alt I did have a look underneath but I could not locate the engine to frame ground. Where is it located exactly?
Alt is a brand new genuine gm, no reman.
I think adding another ground would not be a bad idea, would having 2 create any issues?
It just started raining here again and It will be a few days before I can get to it, no garage for the terrain unfortunately.
I've even looked in the upper engine compartment and didn't see any grounds. I swear I'm not blind. lol
So your 16 takes .85 of fluid, is that after you drained it or total capacity?
I'm prepared to replace the batt cables if need be, but I'll check them for tightness and or corrosion prior first.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yep a little less than a qt. in mine after a full drain. Pumping it in the fill plug it was coming out at that amount.
A extra engine to frame ground will not hurt anything. I'm not sure where it would be as in my 3.6 it's a tight fit to see anything.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I checked my 2014 GM Repair Manual there are 13 pages of ground diagrams, some pages have as many 25 separate items spread over 3 or 4 different grounds.
It gets involved.

The main ground is the negative battery cable and 4 grounds found in my post #2.
You can access these grounds from the top by removing the battery and battery tray.
You don't have a engine to frame ground because you don't have a frame in the traditional body on frame application.

Start there and see what happens, BTW make sure all your alternator bolts are tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks repairman,
So it seems like a qt bottle should be enough. I'll order some online this week.

And thanks rednox,
Alt bolts are gtg.
I'll start at the neg batt cable, clean and tighten first and check other cable ends next.
I'm hoping its just a ground issue.
I had a weird issue on my c5 this summer and cleaned one ground bank in the engine compartment and knock wood been fine so far.
Im hoping this will have the same results.
It will be a couple days till I can get to it, rain is back. Thanks to all and Ill keep you updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated thread but awaiting mod approval before anyone can read it... That's weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts