GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem silly, but it's driving me crazy! I recently purchased a 2022 Terrain. There is a button on the instrument panel, dirctly beside the hazard flasher. It just has the letter A on it, and is lit with a small amber led. I've poured through the owner's manual, and cannot for the life of me find what this button is, or its function. Seems pretty trivial I know, but my curiosity is driving me nuts. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

bigbeardedbuddy

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,510 Posts
This button? Looks like @arcee was correct!

So the system is enabled, and the light is ON, every time you start the vehicle. The engine will automatically shut OFF (to save fuel) whenever it determines it can do so.

If you press the button, the light goes out, and the engine no longer automatically shuts off (to save gas).

Some (many?) people do not like the feel of the engine automatically shutting OFF at stop lights, for example ... that's why this button was added.

But it defaults to "automatic engine shut OFF" every time you start the vehicle, so if you don't like this feature, you have to remember to press this button every time you start the engine!

Automotive lighting Font Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fog light

Reactions: ricklack

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
298 Posts
Yep, that is your Auto Stop disable button. I was skeptical about auto stop but it seems to work well and is not annoying to me in the least.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So, How much does the dealership get to install a new starter? Glad my '17 has no such "feature".
That is my fear. After reading about a Malibu owner paying $1500 to replace his start/stop starter and AGM battery on a 5 year old car with 46k on it (outside the 5/60k warranty) it made me think. He saved a lot less in gas than $1500.
I hit the disable switch every time I drive our new 2022 Equinox. I may eventually purchase the $25 disable pigtail on Amazon.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The starters used in vehicles with auto start/stop are not the same as "old school" starters. More advanced, higher torque, etc. They are designed specifically for use in these types of systems. That being said, it makes sense they would be more expensive if they do ever need to be replaced.

While marketed as fuel saving systems, I think they are more in response to environmental issues. Shut the engine off while stopped to stop emissions [if the engine isn't running it is a zero emissions vehicle..blah blah blah.] The last figure I saw indicated these systems only save 0.1mpg on the city cycle, so someone driving 12,000 miles per year in mostly city driving is only saving a few gallons of gas. I suppose collectively, over tens of millions of vehicles, tens of millions of gallons of gas is saved each year. Considering we consume hundreds of BILLIONS of gas annually, however, even the collective savings from these systems doesn't seem all that impressive compared to the engineering time and expense that most likely went in to designing them.

During the "chip shortage" some automakers started eliminating these systems from their cars. The fact that they were so quick to choose this feature as one of the first to go kind of indicates how effective they really are. If it made that much of a difference, the automakers wouldn't have been so quick to eliminate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is my fear. After reading about a Malibu owner paying $1500 to replace his start/stop starter and AGM battery on a 5 year old car with 46k on it (outside the 5/60k warranty) it made me think. He saved a lot less in gas than $1500.
I hit the disable switch every time I drive our new 2022 Equinox. I may eventually purchase the $25 disable pigtail on Amazon.
I recently installed the pigtail, works great.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
298 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the button beside the hazard button(right side) that has a person with a half circle over their head?
Mine has nothing like that, perhaps a picture would help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts