GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching the forums but did not turn up much.

I know the jury is out on undercoating, I've done it in the past on vehicles but I just don't know if it worth the money, if anything it is a heck of a lot cheaper to have it done outside of the dealership.

Just thought I would throw it out there to see if you guys had it done on yours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Krown is my recommendation.
Been spraying it on my cars for years. Holds true to resale value.
Sprayed the wifes Equinox already. I sleep easier at night.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I recommend running to your local car parts store, spend about $20 on a couple cans of spray undercoating and do it yourself.

Use newspaper to keep from getting any spray on anything but the underside of the body (i.e. keep it off lines and exhaust, etc etc.) and make sure to get safety glasses, this stuff goes EVERYwhere. ;)

You'll most likely end up with a job 10 times better than spending hundreds to let a dealership or 3rd party do it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Narg said:
I recommend running to your local car parts store, spend about $20 on a couple cans of spray undercoating and do it yourself.
Dang... Never thought of that. Oh well, too late to feel sorry, the stealership did the whole package rustproofing, undercoat,Leather and paint treatment and last the clear film on the hoor.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
oracle said:
Dang... Never thought of that. Oh well, too late to feel sorry, [size=10pt]the stealership[/size][/color] did the whole package rustproofing, undercoat,Leather and paint treatment and last the clear film on the hoor.
That's funny!
;D 8) :eek:
Ya, we got the entire lifetime rust, paint and interior protection from the "stealership" as well.
My opinion is to get some form of aftermarket rustproofing if your budget allows.
It certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I wouldn't go near any of those "protection" scams.
All they are is money in the bank for the dealer.]
Are you going to keep your car for 10 years or more?? Hughly unlikely.
Personally, a complete waste of money. JMHO

·
Registered
635 Posts
GARYD said:
I wouldn't go near any of those "protection" scams.
All they are is money in the bank for the dealer.]
Are you going to keep your car for 10 years or more?? Hughly unlikely.
Personally, a complete waste of money. JMHO
I agree. Dealers in the past has wanted to sell me scotchguard when I had leather seats! I had a Saturn that stated in the manual not to undercoat as it would nullify factory rustproofing. That didnt stop the dealer from trying to sell me some!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I heard the same thing about the warrentee. Something about if not done right it could seal in contaminates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did it myself, looks good and im pretty sure i did it better than 3rd party, taped the lines and truck and went over it 3 times. Looks good and will last, hopefully.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Rust Proofing a modern car today is a waste of money.

The MFG do a pretty good job on the car and the underside is well protected. What few cars today that do have rust issues have issues in areas where rust proofing most likely would have no effect.

Also by the time you do have any rust issues the car will be over 12 year or more old with well into 6 figure miles. So you really have to ask yourself are you going to keep a car for 12 years or more and how many miles will you have before you trade.

In the past there were cars with rust through in fenders in less than 5 years and 70,000 miles back in the 70's and Zebart did a good service. Today most metals are plated or coated to prevent most major rust issues. There are a few rust prone areas on some cars but for the most they will make it to old age well if taken care off.

They use salt here in Ohio at one of the greatest levels you will ever see. They spray it on the roads 2 days before the storm even gets here. As of all my GM vehicles since 1985 I have never had what I would term a major rust issue on any of them. Nary a rust through anywhere. My 97 GMC has a little in the 3rd door seem on the bottom but rust proofing would not have stopped it. My SSEI went to FLorida as it was cleaner than anything the guy could find in a 40th anniversery edtion he could find. It had 100,000 miles in 8 winters.

Also avoid these dealer protection plans. The only thing you need are a good set of splash guards and GM has a nice set for the Terrain as they fit and match the lower panels.

The money spent on Rust proofing would be better spent on wash jobs in the winter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live in Montreal, which has has a love affair with road salt. I found a product here that I have applied to my last 3 cars, including the recent Equinox. It's a vaseline type product. They drill the usual holes and spray this thing under high pressure, like oil. It is recommended to be done in spring so the summer heat makes it ooze into every nook and cranny. In cold weather it has the consistency of wax. It NEVER drips. I can vouch for that. I too agree that OEMs have gotten better at protecting cars. I do it to mainly protect the usual culprits, bottoms of doors, hood leading edge, trunk lip. I just sold my '99 Lumina LS with NO rust at all. I have seen the same cars in my area that look like disasters. I guess to each his own.

I tend to keep my cars for 7-10 years. So, I like make it look good as long as possible. I do agree to stay clear of "add ons". They are bloated free bees for the dealers. My rust proof is less than $200 per treatment, and do it every 4 years. Scotchguard is another farce. They charge $100+ when you can do the same with a $7.00 can yourself from your local auto parts.

The one thing I do preach is to give the car a god wax at least once a year. That goes further than those "sealers'.

My 2 cents ;D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
hyperv6 - I agree 100% :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
How many Rusty Jones and Ziebarts do you see anymore???
In the winter get you car washed regularly - especially the underside.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Last time I purchased undercoating/rustproofing on a new vehicle was in the mid-late 80's...

I live in Michigan..The dealer doesn't even mention it anymore..

·
Registered
850 Posts
My local Ziebart is undercoating mine this Friday.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
teetertotter said:
My local Ziebart is undercoating mine this Friday.
If there is still time to change your mind, then I would. It is not needed, and also recommended to NOT do it. Save your money for more worthwhile investments.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I drive lots of gravel roads and I undercoat all of my vehicles. Just be careful where you put it or where the people that you get to do it for you put it. Make sure that none of the drain holes get blocked.

·
Registered
850 Posts
A local fellow has had his franchised Ziebart establishment for many years. My cars all get additional rustproof protection and sound deadened[undercoating] even though experts say it is not required. He also does the exterior treatment in the Fall of each year. That is just me wanting peace of mind, as some one stated.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Awfully expensive and unneccessary peace of mind, but if it makes you feel good - do it. :cheers:

Is your Ziebart the only one left in the world?? Last one I saw changed over to glass tinting and then went out of buisness. When that happens how are you going to collect on the lifetime guarantee??

·
Registered
850 Posts
GaryD, there is another Ziebart in another town 15 minutes from my house. Both have been in business for many years. They also do truck bed liners, tinted glass, interior/exterior treatments, trailer hitches, to name a few after market items. There is another Ziebart, 45 minute drive. Yup, it is a little expensive compared to $275.00 5 and 6 years ago.

Two weeks ago when I checked for rust proofing with our local fellow, there was a 2 week wait b/4 he could get to mine.
He moved into a new building structure 5 years ago. I will be getting a price from him to put on Terrain side door moldings.

Yup, whatever turns you on for having your vehicle treated.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
teetertotter said:
I will be getting a price from him to put on Terrain side door moldings.

Yup, whatever turns you on for having your vehicle treated.
FYI -Many, including myself, have purchased side door moldings from Sportwing.com They have an excellent product, the color-match is perfect, and they are very easy to install. Try a search on this forum. I highly recommend ALL of their painted products. I have had a spoiler from them for 14 years and it still looks perfect - and it is a tri-color pearl paint that matched the vehicle perfectly.

:thumb: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts