GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Equinox, purchased 1 year ago from family member. Vehicle had no maintenance issues prior to sale. Starting about 4 months later, I began noticing a strange metallic sound coming from the undercarriage at lower speeds on rough pavement. Still had some mileage left on manufacturer's warranty. Dealer checked out; could only find some play in front sway bar links. Replaced both. Dealer said struts appeared to be okay.

Noise persists. This noise is more pronounced on sections of concrete pavement when driving over seams in pavement. Noise is not very noticeable at higher speeds. And, (and this is the perplexing part) the noise diminishes if pressure is applied to brake pedal. Brakes/calipers have been checked and are not loose. On another forum, I read that noise may be related to stearing column sections/sleeves not being adequately tightened. Any thoughts on cause and cure?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Can you describe the "metallic sound"? Squeak, clang, rattle, scrape???

·
Registered
441 Posts
rotors perhaps.....had to replace mine shortly after buying it cause the dealer turned them too much and caused an imbalance that surfaces a couple months after i got it home.....new rotors and pads...good to go......i did just take it down there cause the wheel bearings/hubs are shot....loud as hell.....

if you noise is more a whirling noise, they would need to look at the afore mentioned parts....

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
patwith05equinox said:
tricia, please re-contact me. lost earlier username/password. re-registered. problem continues.
I have responded to your post on the other thread. Please feel free to contact me via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having similar issue, more of rattle when going over rough surfaces. Dealership reports they do no hear it and cannot find the cause. Would like to know more about the "known" issues that purportedly are the root of the noise.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
zanimul said:
Having similar issue, more of rattle when going over rough surfaces. Dealership reports they do no hear it and cannot find the cause. Would like to know more about the "known" issues that purportedly are the root of the noise.

Thanks for any help.
I would be happy to look into this as well. Please feel free to contact me via private message with more information. Feel free to include your VIN and the name of the dealer that you are working with. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
441 Posts
zanimul said:

Thanks for any help.
normally when it rattles going over bumps, looks at your swaybar links, and end links...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like mine... It groans, when I brake the wheel shakes until I go below 40 mph... I've replaced the brakes, rotors, and calipers so I know that isn't the issue... I think a warranty shouldn't end until the car is paid off! I can't afford to keep fixing this car and it's only a 2005! And for new struts, new mounts, and an alignment, it's going to cost me almost $400, and that's if I install the struts and mounts myself... My dang payment is only 189 a month!

-Chaz

·
Registered
441 Posts
chazman321 said:
I can't afford to keep fixing this car and it's only a 2005! And for new struts, new mounts, and an alignment, it's going to cost me almost $400, and that's if I install the struts and mounts myself... My dang payment is only 189 a month!

-Chaz
ummm its 2011...so your car is 6-7 years old depending on build date......not like its brand new.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
This sounds A LOT like the problem I am having with my 2010 LTZ. It's been in and out of the dealership for this same noise since May. I have had two different service guys replicate the noise. They already replaced the front sway bar links and front strut mounts as well as lubricate something related to the front bumper just last week. They have it in the shop today and I am hoping they can figure it out this time! Thank goodness this is all covered under warranty :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts