GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So say your filling up and u pull the nozzel out and alittle gas goes in the area under the cap and drains through that hole, where does that lead to?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's a drain to the ground! OR, perhaps it leads to the center of the earth!!! ;D

·
Registered
830 Posts
HAHAHA ! Nice one ! The bad is that.... you are right...

RIT333 said:
Saudi Arabia ? :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's a small black hole the leads to a storage tank in Al Gore's back yard.
Be sure to drip a few drops of gas in there every time you fill up so Al has lots of gas to use.
;D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Or the charcoal canister under the hood. It prevents fuel vapor from being released into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
dishdude said:
Or the charcoal canister under the hood. It prevents fuel vapor from being released into the atmosphere.
I'd guess, more likely, it is a route for fill-up spills to make it to the ground without running over the paint.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's a "BACKSPLASH OVERFLOW" so that it will not overflow. If you notice in your lavatory there’s a hole at the side of ceramic under your faucet, there in your bathroom that's a backsplash overflow also, & same thing if you have swimming pool in your house, there’s a backsplash overflow at the side of it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
TerrainSLT2 said:
That's a "BACKSPLASH OVERFLOW" so that it will not overflow. If you notice in your lavatory there’s a hole at the side of ceramic under your faucet, there in your bathroom that's a backsplash overflow also, & same thing if you have swimming pool in your house, there’s a backsplash overflow at the side of it.
Still doesn't answer the question of where the overflow goes.. ;)

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
TerrainSLT2 =topic=1618.msg19213#msg19213 date=1287412022 said:
I interpret you as saying that the gas makes it back into the filler-neck. after entering the hole. I sure hope that isn't the case. "My hole has dirt around it" ( ;D ;D) and that would deposit dirt into the gas tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes it will going back to the tank but who's the owner will going to happen that your gas will spill? We know that if the gas tank is full it will automatically off or release the gas nozzle.
They are 5 holes in the inlet... if that is not the for the overflow, then maybe that would be for the dog feet. ;D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If thats the case and that hole leads into the tank thats not good because water gets in there wenever u open the door if theres water in the crack above

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
WILSONN said:
If thats the case and that hole leads into the tank thats not good because water gets in there wenever u open the door if theres water in the crack above
Plus it would say that the fuel system is not a "closed system" - and I'm pretty sure it is. I still think that hole leads to the pavement below your car. IMHO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmmm...I don't think that it will lead that into pavement...it will be dangerous!

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
TerrainSLT2 said:
Hmmm...I don't think that it will lead that into pavement...it will be dangerous!
I guess we better inform GM that they have built a "dangerous vehicle", then. I just poured a cup of water down the drain hole, and "oddly enough", a cup of water ran down the rear inner fender, and onto the pavement. I doubt we'll ever spill enough gas down that hole to ever make a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes...if that will spill in the inner fender down to the pavement then that will be very dangerous! We don't know which parts in that side is going to spark that will cause a fire & explode! That would be scary! :eek:

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I guess it is not as dangerous as the people that I see filling up their cars, while smoking (Yes, it IS against the law), or the people that fill up gas cans at the pumps and have it squirt out onto the payment. Unfortunalty, we live in a "dangerous" World. I think that very little gas makes it down that hole because there is a baffle in the filler neck that is supposed to prevent back-splash. I suspect that hole has a lot more rain/car-wash water traveling through it than gasoline. If you are that concerned, you could probably hook up a collection container under that hole, and catch any gasoline that may splash out, and then seal that container after each fill up. Myself, I guess In will continue to risk my life.

BTW - I am just being a little sarcastic here, so please don't be offended by my smart-a$$ remarks. My point is, that cars have been built this way for many years, and if it was an issue, someone would have invented a better/safer set-up.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Oh, I assumed that when everyone was talking about the "small hole under the fuel cap" and not the multiple "large" slots in the actual filler neck. Yes - those DO lead back into the gas tank. On my Equinox, the lower arrow that you are pointing to only points to a small indent in the plastic, and on mine it is not even a hole. I was referring to the hole in the plastic that is just below the filler neck - which does lead to the inner fender.

We seem to be on two different pages !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes...if you're talking about the small hole below then that should be going out of the gas tank because that hole will stand for a drain during rainy season and could be going down to the Lake Erie or Gulf Pacific! Lol! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts