GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! First time posting on this forum, so I thought I'd make it significant.

Here in Texas, all citizens can carry a concealed handgun. Myself, I have gone through the training to get a Concealed Handgun License and have carried for 6 years now. There are some places you simply cannot take your gun, such as a courthouse, post office, and schools. To be a responsible gun owner, you cannot simply put the gun in the glove box and think that locking the doors is enough. To ensure you don't arm a criminal, it needs to be locked up. I have utilized the simple tethered lock box for the time being because I could not find the right product to install in my vehicle. This setup is fine as long as a criminal is only doing a smash-and-grab. However, if they have simple bolt cutters, that tether will be worthless and they can take the box and open it at their leisure.

So, I have been researching the heck out of installable solutions and here are the four I'm looking at and I thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for a similar solution or even to lock up a gps, cash, wallet, whatever. If you guys have any others you know about or have any experience installing something like this, your voice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Added pics and links... =-]

This one is my front-runner at the moment, as I don't need a very deep box for a Glock 19. The sleeve allows the box to be locked in place or once unlocked, removed from the sleeve and locked up on its own.

Franzen SafeBox - $79.95
http://www.botachtactical.com/franzensafebox.html
External Dimensions: 6.75" W x 2.5" H x 9.5"D - Internal Dimensions: 5.75" W x 2" H x 8"D

This one is expensive, but I like the combo lock on it.

TITAN Gun Vault - $299.00
http://www.titangunvault.com/gun-safe/titan-gun-vault
8" W x 2.5" H x 11" D - 6.5" W x 2.25" H x 10" D

The bracket is made to fit a Jeep, but it should be adaptable to our needs.

Tuffy Conceal Carry Security Drawer - $99.00
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-286-250-tuffy-tj-97-02-conceal-carry-security-drawer-with-flip-seat.aspx
6” W x 3” H x 12 13/16” D - 4 13/16” W x 2 1/2” H x 12 3/8” D

Every one of these I've found has a chrome handle. So much for being discreet...lol...

Aries Security Lock Box - $148.52 (currently on sale)
http://www.ariesautomotive.com/security%2Bbox.html
9.75" W x 3"H x 8.25" D - 9.5" W x 2.5" H x 7" D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm a Texan but haven't been keeping up with state laws lately. A while back someone told me that it would soon be ok for Texans to carry a concealed weapon in their car regardless of concealed carry certification...is this true? As far as the underseat safe goes, personally I would just go with the cheapest one. My reasoning is that any theif that has enough time to mess with such a thing won't care how much it cost. ;) I read an article by a "reformed" former theif and he stated that the average smash and grab lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes depending on if they are just grabbing loose items or ripping out a stereo system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't carry a gun, but if somebody really wants to get your gun and the box is too hard to get / smash, they will just get the whole car ;D...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they changed this last year.

HB 1815 was actually passed to clarify some issues left dangling by a similarly-enacted law in 2005. Now, it simply isn’t an offense to carry a gun in a vehicle, but with these three critical qualifiers: (1) the gun must be concealed; (2) the carrier cannot be involved in criminal activities; (3) the carrier cannot be a member of a criminal gang. The fourth rule isn’t mentioned in the bill, but stands from laws on the books for a long time, and that is that no felon can carry or even be around a gun.

The cheap option is good for those smash-and-grabs, but I would feel much better with a secured one they can't just remove if they cut the cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BigDanInTX said:
( Can't post links evidently, otherwise I would have... =-[ )

( Can't post pictures either?? )
I believe you have to have 10 posts to add pics/links to prevent spammers. Either add a couple posts to other threads or PM me the links and I can toss them in the thread for you.

I also have a cheaper cable lock box and have been meaning to do some shopping around for a secure solution for my Glock 27. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, amazing. This is not something we get or are allowed to get in Canada.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly why I utilize my 2nd Amendment rights daily. =-]

jordanz said:
I believe you have to have 10 posts to add pics/links to prevent spammers. Either add a couple posts to other threads or PM me the links and I can toss them in the thread for you.
I had figured as much. I'll see if I have time to look everything back up tomorrow. Thanks. =-]

jordanz said:
I also have a cheaper cable lock box and have been meaning to do some shopping around for a secure solution for my Glock 27. Thanks for the info
Hey, as long as one person benefited from this, I'm happy. =-D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
martdesr said:
Wow, amazing. This is not something we get or are allowed to get in Canada.
Under seat safes are illegal in Canada? :eek: ;D

j/k I know what you mean. Thankfully our state government recognizes that people who get a concealed carry permit are highly unlikely to not only use the gun, but also commit any other crime. As far as carrying in your car, it is only for law abiding citizens with no record..and it has to be concealed so douchebags who would leave a pistol on their dash for intimidation will get popped by the police as well.

edit- I forgot the best part....Texans are allowed to protect our property and family. I mean REALLY protect them if you know what I mean.. ;)

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
May I make a suggestion.
I've carried a handgun for over 35 years. They make a 'gun sock' which is a lightweight flannel pouch with a fleecelike material inside. The gun slips into the sock pouch which is treated with silicone..or lanolin for rust prevention. Just like slipping a handgun in a flannel sock with a velcro flap. They make a thin type that just slips over the gun...and a thicker type with the fleece inside and velcro flap.
It has been my experience that a locked box..especially under the seat..or dash..stands out like a neon sign. "Look in here"..."Take the time to find out just what is so precious to be locked up in the box"..THEIF..!!!!
I won't advertize just where a handgun can be inconspicuously hidden in an Equinox...but there are several places..if you look and think hard enough. Most thieves are looking for $$..valuables or electronics first...OR just plain stealing the car. Of course..happening upon a handgun would make their day...but most people usually don't leave one in their car or if they do it is in the glovebox..or under the seat. I can think of,at least,a couple places where a covered handgun can be slipped into that would be one of last places for most theives to look for any valuables..can't you?
Even in a small sportscar like my Solstice there are places that a theif wouldn't normally take the time to look for a valuable.
In my opinion..don't entice them to open a locked box..put it somewhere where they won't take the time to look. I have for years..when I can't carry it with me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can think of a couple places and I understand your concept. However, I cannot in good conscience simply leave it unsecured. To me, that is just not an option. I feel uncomfortable enough with a tethered box (decent pair of bolt cutters and they can take it with them and deal with it at their convenience). At least if it is bolted down, I know they would need a significant amount of time to remove it. If they steal the vehicle, it's as good as theirs anyway. At least I did my part to make it as secure as possible. Just my take on it...

Finally able to post links/pics. =-]

·
Registered
58 Posts
NoobNox said:
I guess the seat safe by itself would be ok. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
IceMan said:
May I make a suggestion.
I've carried a handgun for over 35 years. They make a 'gun sock' which is a lightweight flannel pouch with a fleecelike material inside. The gun slips into the sock pouch which is treated with silicone..or lanolin for rust prevention. Just like slipping a handgun in a flannel sock with a velcro flap. They make a thin type that just slips over the gun...and a thicker type with the fleece inside and velcro flap.
It has been my experience that a locked box..especially under the seat..or dash..stands out like a neon sign. "Look in here"..."Take the time to find out just what is so precious to be locked up in the box"..THEIF..!!!!
I won't advertize just where a handgun can be inconspicuously hidden in an Equinox...but there are several places..if you look and think hard enough. Most thieves are looking for $$..valuables or electronics first...OR just plain stealing the car. Of course..happening upon a handgun would make their day...but most people usually don't leave one in their car or if they do it is in the glovebox..or under the seat. I can think of,at least,a couple places where a covered handgun can be slipped into that would be one of last places for most theives to look for any valuables..can't you?
Even in a small sportscar like my Solstice there are places that a theif wouldn't normally take the time to look for a valuable.
In my opinion..don't entice them to open a locked box..put it somewhere where they won't take the time to look. I have for years..when I can't carry it with me.
As a police officer, I would NEVER leave a firearm in a vehicle unsecured. It would not only cost me in terms of morals/ethics if it fell into the wrong hands, but would cost me my job. At least having it locked is a deterrent and since most auto thefts are smash-and-grabs, they would have to have the tools/energy/time/concealment to try and steal a tethered/mounted gun vault.

·
Registered
249 Posts
NoobNox said:
I just installed some ambient lights under my seats; in Canada, even that might be illegal.
Oh, and I forgot the best part: Here in Canada criminals have it pretty good, so only they a need gun, to keep the good times rolling.
Back to op, I would go with a box that doesn't require any drilling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One of the downsides of electric seats, often they don't allow any room under the seat... I have not looked in the Terrain to see, but since the passenger seat is manual, perhaps there is room. I need to get something and get it done, instead of just thinking about it. thanks for the posts, good information.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hawkeye-08 said:
One of the downsides of electric seats, often they don't allow any room under the seat... I have not looked in the Terrain to see, but since the passenger seat is manual, perhaps there is room. I need to get something and get it done, instead of just thinking about it. thanks for the posts, good information.
I have the electric drivers seat almost in the full down position (very little room to spare) and I can fit a Bulldog combo lock box (don't want the key version) that's tethered to the seat frame and it fits fine. The box will fit either my 18 shot FNX9mm or my 5 shot Ruger LCR .357.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulldog-Car-Vault/1370823.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBulldog%26x%3D15%26y%3D8%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Bulldog&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

·
Registered
63 Posts
RetiredBuyer said:
I have the electric drivers seat almost in the full down position (very little room to spare) and I can fit a Bulldog combo lock box (don't want the key version) that's tethered to the seat frame and it fits fine. The box will fit either my 18 shot FNX9mm or my 5 shot Ruger LCR .357.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bulldog-Car-Vault/1370823.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBulldog%26x%3D15%26y%3D8%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Bulldog&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
I should also say it can securely lock my Garmin up since the glovebox doesn't have a lock. ::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts