GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Truckin30 said:
You can pick up a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight Tools if there is one in your area.
Yep - usually there is a coupon in most car magazines for a free meter if you spend $10. I'll bet I have at least 6 of their digital meters - and they work pretty good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I jumped a co-workers car the other night. It was -20 air temp here in MN it was cold. She has a ford focus and it was no dice for her. Her daughter came to help her out but her battery barely would start that car. I hooked up the focus to my equinox and let it sit for a few minutes and boom started the focus right up. Being that my car is way newer I was sure the battery would work even with a smaller battery since I have the 4cyl. I remember reading a while back about people jumping other people's cars and frying electronics on the equinox. I was careful hooking it up to make sure I did it right so I would not fry anything on my car. No problems jumping for me but touching + and - together isn't a good plan lol.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Ive read on forums- where some folks came on to say they helped "X" or "Y" jump start their cars..

but that other person hooked stuff up- wrong or touched the cables..
the running car- had its electronics fried.... I remember he said it was somewhere in the $1000 range to replace the BCM or something.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
rbarrios said:
Ive read on forums- where some folks came on to say they helped "X" or "Y" jump start their cars..

but that other person hooked stuff up- wrong or touched the cables..
the running car- had its electronics fried.... I remember he said it was somewhere in the $1000 range to replace the BCM or something.
Yep - I have a hard time telling people No, when they ask if I will jump start their car, but then I tell them the potential $1K bill, and ask if they are willing to pay it if something goes wrong, and then they understand ! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
50 bucks Harbor Frieght Hook it on if it doesn't work at least you tried and your vehicle isn't involved

Exactly what I was about to suggest!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
dad called me yesterday- said his Trailblazer would not start.
Luckily he was nearby.

So instead of jumping him with the Traverse or Equinox.

I grabbed the battery out of my 1970 Chevy.
Took it and a set of jumper cables.

set it on the floor and we jumped the Trailblazer.
The battery was 5.5 yrs old.

·
Registered
341 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
50 bucks Harbor Frieght Hook it on if it doesn't work at least you tried and your vehicle isn't involved
I use something similar that I picked up at Costco. It is wonderful :thumb:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If jumping someone else make sure your vehicle is turned off when connecting cables. That minimizes any spikes or surges protecting your vehicle. If their battery is that flat and needs a slight charge then you run your engine to charge it then turn yours off before retrying to start the dead one. Again that isolates your electronics protecting your vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,943 Posts
You’re never supposed to connect two car batteries in parallel ... but probably 90% of people do ... by connecting POS to POS and NEG to NEG. When you make that last connection and it sparks/arcs on the battery post, there’s a chance the battery could explode. That’s why you make that last NEG connection on the Dead car away from the battery, on a good ground point. If it sparks/arcs there, there’s no chance the battery will explode.

To remember the order of putting the cables on the batteries, I use the following:

Start with B+, End with B-

So: Bad POS to Good POS, then Good Neg To Bad NEG (but use engine ground point, NOT the NEG post on the Bad Battery!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Leaving aside the fact that you are shouting at us, I think you don't understand the whole "jump start" process.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you mean me sorry for the capitals. Didn't notice.
I was just saying if you are giving someone a boost you want to remove the cables before they make an attempt to start their vehicle

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,943 Posts
I recently experienced a bad battery and had to find somebody who can do a jump start over a cable with another vehicle. It got me thinking I don't want to bother other people of the misery of having a bad battery in the middle of the night. Luckily there is this Truck Pac ES6000 Jump Starter Review 2021 | Guide & FAQ | MOTORING CRUNCH
Yeah ... I lot of us have those portable jumper boxes. I bought the one from Harbor Fake (Viking), and have used it successfully to jump my Dad's Impala from a dead-dead state:

I have never jumped anyone off my 2011 Equinox, though, and I hope I never do. Just afraid of damaging the electronics.

I remember one time here at work, someone with a '97-ish Grand Prix needed a jump, and a co-worker jumped it from his '97 Monte Carlo. Well, that was the end of the Monte Carlo's Alternator! Had never seen that happen before!

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you mean me sorry for the capitals. Didn't notice.
I was just saying if you are giving someone a boost you want to remove the cables before they make an attempt to start their vehicle
Although I suppose you could attempt to charge the dead car's battery, allowing the removal of the cables(would take a long time), you have to leave the cables connected for jump starting purposes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts