GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Tried 2 pairs of Jumper cables to Jump-start my fiance's Beetle.

After connecting/reconnecting both pairs several times, car running, not running etc etc.. I tapped the cables together to see if it would even spark.. Nope (did this with both sets of cables)

I do not find it likely I have 2 sets of bad cables, is there something that makes it not possible to jump another car with a Terrain, or is there some other hoop I need to jump through because it has remote terminals?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I tried to help a friend jump start her car with our Equinox and it just would not charge. We tried for about 15 min letting it idle to charge her battery. Finally I looked at where I clipped the positive cable, and apparently I clipped it on the plastic part of the red cover, not on the metal terminal part! :banghead: In my defense, it was dark when I hooked it up. Maybe that is what happened? Her car started right away after I hooked it up correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was not it, I removed the Red plastic cap every :)

Note: I almost forgot, this is actually the 2nd car I tried to jump. I had a Mazda 6 sitting in the garage for about 6 months and I could not get that do anything either.. in that case I dismissed it as that car had sat for so long... but I did think it was strange since that battery was not very old though.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
MaadHatter said:
I have Tried 2 pairs of Jumper cables to Jump-start my fiance's Beetle.

After connecting/reconnecting both pairs several times, car running, not running etc etc.. I tapped the cables together to see if it would even spark.. Nope (did this with both sets of cables)

I do not find it likely I have 2 sets of bad cables, is there something that makes it not possible to jump another car with a Terrain, or is there some other hoop I need to jump through because it has remote terminals?
Watch sparking those cables together, you really don't want to fry your electronics in your Terrain

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Watch sparking those cables together, you really don't want to fry your electronics in your Terrain
Very good advice. A Voltmeter is much cheaper than replacing a couple of BCMs ! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know.. I didn't really want too but by that point I was Stumped & pissed :banghead:

However..given they did not spark.. I am not sure if that means something is wrong - or...

I don't know if the negative post actually loops back to the battery or just grounded.... If it is just grounded, would they still spark?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not sure about your problem but I've jumped a Buick last month with no problems.
Where did you attach the ground cable to?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There is a diagram on using jumper cables in the owners manual, if I'm not mistaken. The negative lead on the charging car goes to ground, not to the negative terminal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The negative lead of a battery goes to ground anyway, so he can hook the negative side of the cable to the chassis (ground) or the negative terminal on the battery.

I would check your connections and make sure you are getting a good ground. Paint on body panels and chassis's do not make a good ground connection. Like the other guy said, use your manual to explain where to put the cables on your terrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did as the manual said -- in this case being remote posts they are pretty easy to spot :) I tried connecting the cable sin the order as stated.. with the car off & on.

On the other car I tried to connect the negative to various parts: -battery post, hood latch, other random place (not necessarily in that order)

I have ruled out the problem is not her car/battery... I went and borrowed a battery charger, and that is getting somewhere. After a couple hours I tried starting it and it at least tries to start, the interior light comes on when opening the door, etc.

So, either I actually have 2 sets of bad cables (one of those being borrowed also) or there is some disconnect on these remote terminals on the Terrain.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My experience is if you don't see a spark when connecting the cable on the vehicle being used to jump start the other, it isn't going to work. I play with them until I see the spark and then it works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MaadHatter said:
I did as the manual said -- in this case being remote posts they are pretty easy to spot :) I tried connecting the cable sin the order as stated.. with the car off & on.

On the other car I tried to connect the negative to various parts: -battery post, hood latch, other random place (not necessarily in that order)

I have ruled out the problem is not her car/battery... I went and borrowed a battery charger, and that is getting somewhere. After a couple hours I tried starting it and it at least tries to start, the interior light comes on when opening the door, etc.

So, either I actually have 2 sets of bad cables (one of those being borrowed also) or there is some disconnect on these remote terminals on the Terrain.
Try this:
With both vehicles off -
Connect red cable to the positive terminal on the dead battery car (lets refer to it as car 1).
Connect black cable to the negative terminal on the car 1.
Connect red cable to the positive terminal (remote is fine) on your terrain.
Connect black cable to the negative terminal (remote is fine) on your terrain.
Start your terrain and let it run for 30 seconds or so. May require longer if the battery is totally drained.
Try starting car 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Truckin30 said:
Try this:
With both vehicles off -
Connect red cable to the positive terminal on the dead battery car (lets refer to it as car 1).
Connect black cable to the negative terminal on the car 1.
Connect red cable to the positive terminal (remote is fine) on your terrain.
Connect black cable to the negative terminal (remote is fine) on your terrain.
Start your terrain and let it run for 30 seconds or so. May require longer if the battery is totally drained.
Try starting car 1.
did that, a couple of times, with both sets of cables... I even let it run for a few minutes and the interior light would not even come on in the other car... but like I said with a battery charger hooked up.. we at least got beyond that so it is 2 bad sets of cables or one these remote posts are not connected to the battery

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
fourmoremarine said:

OH YEAH!!! I cringed when I read he tapped them toghether..
YOu can do ALOT of $$$$$Damage$$$$ doing that.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I wouldn't attach neg cable to neg post on dead battery vehicle. Chance(slight)of explosion

The first thing you want to remember when jump-starting a car is that a slight possibility of explosion does exist. This is because hydrogen gas--which forms as a battery discharges and loses its fluid--is flammable, and a spark from the battery cables could, theoretically, set it off. We emphasize slight because the gas would have to be fairly dense around the battery for this to happen. This is unlikely unless the battery has been sitting for a long time and little or no air circulation has occurred in the area, but it is possible.

That said, I should add that in the last 15 years I have performed at least 50 "jumps" on various automobiles (you see, I used to own a lot of Chrysler muscle cars) and have never had a problem. One of the keys to avoiding the big bang is to hook up your jumper cables in the proper order. Follow along and we'll show you how.

Step One
Park the booster vehicle close to the one that needs to be jumped, but not so close that the vehicles are touching in any way. You'll want to use a good set of jumper cables with thick wire and clean clamps. As you are hooking up the jumper cables, make sure they don't dangle into either engine compartment where they could get caught on moving parts (belts, fan, etc.). Turn off the ignition of both vehicles, set the parking brakes, and make sure that they are in either "Park" or "Neutral" depending on whether the vehicles have an automatic or manual transmission. Also, turn off all accessories like lights, radio and, if the vehicles are in a safe area, the hazard flashers.

Step Two
Begin the process by clamping one of the positive jumper cable ends (red) to the positive battery terminal (labeled with a "+" on the battery) of the dead vehicle. Be sure the connection is strong with the clamp securely "biting" onto the battery terminal.

Step Three
Connect the other end of the positive cable (red) to the positive battery terminal on the booster vehicle (again, confirm that a "+" is next to the battery terminal). If the terminals are corroded on either vehicle, you may have to scrape them with an abrasive such as steel wool to achieve a solid connection.

Step Four
Connect the negative cable end (black) to the negative battery terminal on the booster car (marked with a "-"). Finally, attach the other end of the negative cable to an unpainted metal surface on the engine of the dead car. Find an unpainted bolt or bracket that is as far from the dead battery as possible. This will provide a solid ground while further reducing the possibility of igniting any hydrogen gas.

Step Five
Make a final check to confirm that the jumper cables are not near any moving engine parts, and start the booster car. Let it idle for several minutes, depending on the state of the dead battery. If the dead battery is new and was drained by the lights being left on an extended period of time, it will probably start immediately. If it is an old battery or it has sat for a long time (more than a month) it will probably take awhile to charge it sufficently.

Step Six
Start the dead vehicle and let the two vehicles idle for a few minutes. If the dead vehicle refuses to start, don't keep trying or you might damage the starter. If there is the possibility of additional problems, like a lack of fuel, don't continue trying to start the dead vehicle until the other problem(s) are solved.

Step Seven
Once the dead vehicle is started and running smoothly, disconnect the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were connected. As you disconnect them, be careful not to let the dangling cables fall into the engine compartments or touch each other.

Step Eight
Drive the revived car to somewhere safe and secure before shutting off the engine. Depending on the battery's condition, it might need to be jumped the next time it is started. To properly charge the battery, attach it to a certified battery charger and leave it connected for at least 12 hours. You can also take it to an automotive repair shop for complete charging. Driving the car for an extended period can also charge the battery, but this should be done only if the other two options aren't available. A vehicle's alternator is primarily designed to maintain a battery, not charge it from a complete drain

·
Registered
682 Posts
Get a multi meter and check the cables for continuity and also test for voltage at the points that you connected to.
Takes all of the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GM Service guy.. Roadside is not needed both vehicles are in my garage. The point of this post was to see if anyone else has had issues jumping another car with a Terrain..

darkside said:
Get a multi meter and check the cables for continuity and also test for voltage at the points that you connected to.
Takes all of the guess work out of it.
Right, that was my thought, just need to get my hands on one.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You rarely see a set of jumper cables go bad unless abused repeatedly.
Never mind two sets.
El-cheapo sets may be another matter.
Poor crimping or corroded clamps,etc.
A quality set is a must. 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
MaadHatter said:
GM Service guy.. Roadside is not needed both vehicles are in my garage. The point of this post was to see if anyone else has had issues jumping another car with a Terrain..

Right, that was my thought, just need to get my hands on one.
You can pick up a cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight Tools if there is one in your area.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts