GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN AWD SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1) 6T70 Gen 1 Transmission
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Either way, I won't be partaking in it.
Don't need DIMMER headlights, they're bad enough as it is.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Either way, I won't be partaking in it.
Don't need DIMMER headlights, they're bad enough as it is.
If you read the actual article, it isn't about dimming the headlights, it is about not having excessive light output shooting out high to the outside. The usable light on the road in front of you isn't the issue and shouldn't be modified. Go drive along a wall and you will see the streak of light shooting up above where it should be.

Also wondering with people complaining about the lights, are there different lights for the Terrain based on model year and/or trim level? Our 2015 SLT has what I consider pretty impressive headlights. Coming from a TL that has amazing headlights, the Terrain was nothing to be upset about in my opinion.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've crossed the path of many Terrains at night and never thought the headlights were unusually bright or glaring. Seems like a silly recall when there are certainly other cars out there with much bigger glare issues. Ones I see most often are older Chrysler/Jeep products. Plenty of them on the road that you swear have the high beams on but then find out they don't when they flash you back.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

·
Registered
67 Posts
GM has only had one complaint, happens during fog or snow, which all lights reflect in including rain, and zero crashes or injuries reported. Where is the issue here? Another says the lights are more than 3 times brighter than maximum designated allowance. If this is the case how did they get approved by the DOT?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you read the actual article, it isn't about dimming the headlights, it is about not having excessive light output shooting out high to the outside. The usable light on the road in front of you isn't the issue and shouldn't be modified. Go drive along a wall and you will see the streak of light shooting up above where it should be.
Maybe YOU should read the article.
Oncoming drivers ARE affected as well.

The federal government has ordered GMC to recall about 725,000 GMC SUVs to turn down the brightness of their headlights.

Government Orders the Recall
The recall, which GMC hasn’t issued yet, will apply to 2010-2017 Terrain SUVs. The government’s safety watchdog has been investigating the brightness of Terrain headlights for several years. In 2019, GMC notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that Terrain headlights were “more than three times brighter than the designated maximum” under federal law. But the company asked the agency to waive the mandatory recall. GMC claimed that the headlights shined “far above the range where the reflection could cause glare for oncoming or surrounding drivers.”

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maybe YOU should read the article.
Oncoming drivers ARE affected as well.

The federal government has ordered GMC to recall about 725,000 GMC SUVs to turn down the brightness of their headlights.

Government Orders the Recall
The recall, which GMC hasn’t issued yet, will apply to 2010-2017 Terrain SUVs. The government’s safety watchdog has been investigating the brightness of Terrain headlights for several years. In 2019, GMC notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that Terrain headlights were “more than three times brighter than the designated maximum” under federal law. But the company asked the agency to waive the mandatory recall. GMC claimed that the headlights shined “far above the range where the reflection could cause glare for oncoming or surrounding drivers.”
Thank you for confirming my statements. Please reread it all now and get back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Light housing has a DOT certification on it. GM is at fault? How can lights be brighter than the 55w halogen bulbs installed as specified by law for that DOT certification?
Light reflects off the wet ground in certain conditions, always has and will.
If it was Honda or BMW there would be no issues, but Govt. likes to put the squeeze on US Mfgr's.
Let's take a look at Audi's glare lights....

Reactions: Pistol Pete

·
Registered
189 Posts
Light housing has a DOT certification on it. GM is at fault? How can lights be brighter than the 55w halogen bulbs installed as specified by law for that DOT certification?
Light reflects off the wet ground in certain conditions, always has and will.
If it was Honda or BMW there would be no issues, but Govt. likes to put the squeeze on US Mfgr's.
Let's take a look at Audi's glare lights....
It’s a poor choice of wording. It is too bright in a region where there should not be excessive light output.

Reflection off of the wet roads is a different issue than stray light escaping the light module. That will be more impacted by the color temperature of the light and the angle that light hits at.

I personally hate the newer Ford HD trucks. Always blind me, even from a distance when height differences shouldn’t be the cause. The newer LED lights in many cars are pretty harsh as well based on color temp being so white as well as the cutoff is so sharp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just how low did you have to get to take photo? Any one can see you got down in front of the beam where a passing car will not be. You really can't even see what kind of car it is, or if the high beams are on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Headlights "too bright"?...LMFAO. I guess that's why LED upgrade posts are so popular on this forum?.
This is mostly because people incorrectly correlate light color temp to brightness. If you want to talk about light output and glare, then slap LED bulbs into a housing not designed for them. They may be bright, but the beam pattern is not correct and will cause glare to other drivers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yep I've decided to leave mine like they are.
In fact, I'm gonna put some h9's in the low beams. No led's for me.

I really don't see the problem like they are now, I've yet to be flashed by oncoming driver's,
plus I can care less what others think. I need to see the road better.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have no complaints with my headlights except they are clouding up on my 2017 with 29k miles on it...
I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound on my headlights every couple of months to remove any yellowing. Only takes 10-20 minutes with a microfiber bonnet on a random orbital polisher. If you do it right when the yellowing starts coming back it is easier to take it off with mild products like the Ultimate Compound. I follow the compound with Meguiars Ultimate Polish to finish it off. Certainly doesn't fix the issue permanently, but it is cheap and easy from a maintenance perspective.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts