GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, AWD 1.5L
86 Posts
What’s so different about Terrain headlights over the Equinox?

I have had both over the years....The Terrain had the projector style housing, the equinox had the standard halogen reflector housing (unless you got the top model with HID's)

Jason

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Both the '16 Equinox's under my care, my LTZ and my D in L's LT, have projector headlights. They both have a sharp horizontal cutoff on light pattern. Terrain must be a different housing since the 'nox wasn't mentioned.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If the head lights are already replaced do we still have to participate or get a refund on modding the head lights?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Usually you have to wait until you get a notice in the mail to take it to a dealer to have recall performed. They probably don't have enough assemblies in stock anyway.
No refunds for aftermarket assemblies or DIY modifications in any official govt. recall to be performed by a dealer.

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN AWD SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1) 6T70 Gen 1 Transmission
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see anywhere in that article where GM agreed to fix anything......
WASHINGTON -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Friday it denied a General Motors request that would have allowed the automaker to avoid fixing headlight glare problems on about 725,000 U.S. sport utility vehicles.

If the agency had agreed to declare the problem inconsequential, GM would not have been required to notify customers of the problem and provide a free fix.

Gm tried to say there was NO problemo... NHTSA said yes there is and is making them fix said problemo.

Maybe it's something to do with the plastic housing causing glare.
My lights have a pretty sharp cut off as well. The light is almost translucent if that makes sense, like looking at a ghost type of light. Boo.
Even with new stock bulbs it's not enough light. But when I kick on the high beams, mucho better.

·
Registered
765 Posts
GM will try to find the cheapest, fastest way to remedy this issue. I highly doubt they are going to physically replace the headlight assemblies on 725,000 vehicles. My guess is they will either apply a permanently adhered translucent "sticker" [like a permanent matte PPF] to the spots on the lights throwing the glare, or apply some sort of permanent spray-on coating to those areas, and send people on their way. GM is looking at having to "fix" vehicles that have been on the road for 5 - 13 years at this point, for which there has been only one complaint. They aren't going to want to spend tons of money on this one.

·
Registered
2010 GMC Terrain SLE
51 Posts
WASHINGTON -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Friday it denied a General Motors request that would have allowed the automaker to avoid fixing headlight glare problems on about 725,000 U.S. sport utility vehicles.

If the agency had agreed to declare the problem inconsequential, GM would not have been required to notify customers of the problem and provide a free fix.

Gm tried to say there was NO problemo... NHTSA said yes there is and is making them fix said problemo.
I read the article and I know what it says. I don't see where it says that GM has agreed to do anything.
GM said Friday it was aware of the agency's ruling and "will review NHTSA’s decision and explore potential next steps."

GM told NHTSA it was aware of "only a single customer inquiry associated with this condition and is not aware of any crashes or injuries."
Corporate speak mumbo jumbo nonsense........

·
Registered
2011 GMC TERRAIN AWD SLT-2 3.0L V6 (LF1) 6T70 Gen 1 Transmission
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't see the problem here. I own a 2012 Terrain and love the headlights. If the recall is because of glare or to bright , then every new car on the road will have to be recalled. I will not take mine in for this recall. There are much more serious issues with these vehicles that deserve recalls that are being ignored.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't see the problem here. I own a 2012 Terrain and love the headlights. If the recall is because of glare or to bright , then every new car on the road will have to be recalled. I will not take mine in for this recall. There are much more serious issues with these vehicles that deserve recalls that are being ignored.
Once the recall is officially issued, you will have to avoid going to a dealer for service. As others have said, virtually every dealer will check for open recalls and remedy them when a car comes in for service. You may be able to get away with telling a dealer "I will have to come back for that another time" for only so long.

I had a rear suspension recall on a Hyundai years ago. Finally had it done after being bugged by the dealer with calls and letters, etc. It totally changed the handling of the car. The car handled like garbage after the recall work was done. So I totally understand the aversion to getting recalls done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Reputable manufacturers yes, but we are talking GM. Instead of voluntary recalls, GM will issue a technical service bulletin that the average car owner knows nothing about or has no way of knowing if the problem has been resolved, or a worthless extended warranty to fix a known problem only if it breaks within their parameters. This way they only have to repair 20 to 30% of affected vehicles. I have taken my Terrain in for the emission recall and they acted as if they did not know what I was talking about and asked for the letter or what specific recall I wanted fixed. There are some recalls on the NHTSA website that I have never been notified about. My 98 Sierra bought new has had numerous recalls and TSBs and have never received a letter on a recall. So it appears to me that GMs mentality is if the customer specifically does not mention a recall, they will avoid repair to save money. After all there is no enforcement, and no penalty of non compliance on GMs part. There are millions of cars on the road with serious recall issues that have never or will ever be addressed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts