GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a hitch installed at U Haul for $192.45 plus tax. Did not have the wiring installed as I am only going to use a bike rack on the hitch. Installation took 30 minutes as promised. The hitch is a 2" receiver, U Haul part number 78275. They removed the center part of the lower bumper and gave it to me in case I ever remove the hitch. I would recommend U Haul for anyone that doesn't want to do it themselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It much cheaper from Amazon for a Curt Hitch about $125 and you can get a video on the installation at Etrailer.com, a real simple installation and also get the Curt wiring kit at the same time from amazon at about $2o and etrailer also has a video on this installation. My 2010 Equinox is set up with a Roadmaster tow brackets to tow behind our RV and the trailer hitch just in case we need it.

Walt

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2012 LTZ Equinox - and unlike what the video shows, there was no need to have to do anything with the exhaust system. It shows that you have to unhook it and suspend it with something like a bungee cord to support it. I didn't have to do that at all. I never installed a trailer hitch before, and now I kick myself cuz it was super easy. If I had known, I would have put one on my old Pathfinder long ago. But then again, maybe it wouldn't have been so easy on a Pathfinder - who knows.

As long as you have a jack and jack stands and a few tools, you can install a hitch on an Equinox pretty easily. And the wire harness was also a piece of cake - basically plug and play. All you gotta do is remove the tail lights, feed the wires and plug in and replace tail lights. So easy!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I installed the Curt hitch on my 2010, then took it off when the EQ was totaled, then put it on my new 2012. Here is a tip: find a sloping driveway where you can park the car and give you more room to get under the car, then have someone help you lift it and the first couple of bolts. There are six bolts total, it goes on pretty easy, you might have to give it a couple of love taps with a rubber mallet.
I never had to touch the exhaust system.

·
Registered
673 Posts
extra pair of hands helps a lot.

I did it on a flat surface on my own, takes about 20 min to do.

Simple plug and play install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts